NCAA Wrestling 2015-16

Educate me:

How was NC State able to maintain a top 2-3 ranking all season but not have anyone wrestle for a top 4 spot?

Not sure if Pete Renda finished 4th...but still.

Educate me:

How was NC State able to maintain a top 2-3 ranking all season but not have anyone wrestle for a top 4 spot?

Because they beat 3 top 5 teams in dual meets including Iowa at Carver Hawkeye and Oklahoma State at Gallagher arena...and Missouri, and #16 Minnesota (which finished the season very strong and much better than they started), #24 old Dominion, #17 Virginia, #14 North Carolina, #16 Pittsburgh, and #11 Nebraska. Their only dual loss was to Virginia Tech. They had a rough national tournament with top 6 guys like Rohskopf going down but still had 2 all-americans including a 2x champ who lost to the defending world champ in the finals..

They earned the ranking that they had. Now you can argue dual rankings vs tournament rankings. Whole other debate, but they had the team wins and ranked kids to be there

Because they beat 3 top 5 teams in dual meets including Iowa at Carver Hawkeye and Oklahoma State at Gallagher arena...and Missouri, and #16 Minnesota (which finished the season very strong and much better than they started), #24 old Dominion, #17 Virginia, #14 North Carolina, #16 Pittsburgh, and #11 Nebraska. Their only dual loss was to Virginia Tech. They had a rough national tournament with top 6 guys like Rohskopf going down but still had 2 all-americans including a 2x champ who lost to the defending world champ in the finals..

They earned the ranking that they had. Now you can argue dual rankings vs tournament rankings. Whole other debate, but they had the team wins and ranked kids to be there

Thanks...
I may have worded my question incorrectly.
I understand why they were ranked so high.
I'm more curious why such a highly ranked school did so poorly in the tournament?
I believe they had 3 All Americans with Tommy Gantt finishing 8th?
I was wrong to say they didn't have anyone wrestle for a top 4 spot:
Nick G obviously finished 2nd and Pete Renda finished 3rd.
I guess that's not bad for the #2 ranked team in the nation...not great either.

Thanks...
I may have worded my question incorrectly.
I understand why they were ranked so high.
I'm more curious why such a highly ranked school did so poorly in the tournament?
I believe they had 3 All Americans with Tommy Gantt finishing 8th?
I was wrong to say they didn't have anyone wrestle for a top 4 spot:
Nick G obviously finished 2nd and Pete Renda finished 3rd.
I guess that's not bad for the #2 ranked team in the nation...not great either.
I thought about that too it's really two things
1. Dual results and ranking will always be different than tournament ones
2. Because the NCAA is a tough ass tournament and any other year it would have been spectacular for an ACC school to do so well. What Really killed them was Jack and Rohskopf both going 1-2, when you're #3 and #6 seeds have a bad tournament, it's hard to recover from

Educate me:

NC St's HW, Nick Gwiazdowski, was in the finals and Renda did place 3rd.
NC St had a strong dual meet team: 23-1. Beat Nebraska, Missouri, Oklahoma State and Iowa.
Placed 4th at Midlands, 1st at the ACC tournament.

NC State had some wrestlers that didn't perform up to their seeds and aside from Renda didn't have any that wrestled above their seeds.

141: Kevin Jack. Returning all-american (5th last year as a true freshman). Was seeded 3rd at the tournament, lost in the 2nd round to Wyoming's Meredith (ended up 2nd), lost in the consolation round of 12 to UNC's Joey Ward (Jack & Ward have gone back & forth with wins against each).

157: Thomas Gantt. Entered nationals at 24-0, was seeded 2nd. Was upset in the 2nd round by Walsh, Rider, (Gantt had beaten Walsh earlier in the year in a match that went into overtime). In consolations, he lost to VA Tech's Brascetta (Gantt had beaten him twice this year). Ended up placing 8th. He probably shouldn't have been seeded 2nd but given the criteria, he fit the bill (I would have had him at 4th).

165: Rohskopf: Was seeded 5th and ended up going 1-2 and only earning 1 team point. Lost his 2nd round match in overtime and then lost to a U of North Carolina wrestler that he had beaten twice this year, although both those matches were very close 1-0 decisions.

197: Michael Boykin: seeded 12th. Didn't expect a top 8 finish but had the possibility of winning some consolation matches, maybe lucking out with some other upsets in the weight getting him to the round of 12, maybe top 8. Instead he went 1-2 and only earned 1 team point.

IF Jack or Rohskopf had wrestled to 6th, NC St could have finished 8th instead of 11th. If the other placed 7th or 8th, or if Gantt made it further they could have leapfrogged to 7th, maybe 6th.
But that is woulda, shoulda, coulda and goes for several other teams.

Teams need some close matches to go their way, guys wrestle above seed - NC St did get that from Renda but not any others. Renda's wrestling above seed ended up knocking VA Tech out of the 2nd spot - Renda knocked Zavatsky (seeded 5th) out of the championship bracket and he ended up not placing. That match goes the other way & Zavatsky finishes at minimum 6th. Zavatsky had already beaten Renda twice this season.

Last edited:
Did anybody else get annoyed by Tim Johnsons commentary? His key to victories were pretty cheesy too

"Don't Blink" or "Ride em Cowboy"

A little fun fact I saw on another board. Dieringer was taken down 1 time the entire season and Retherford just twice. Pretty ridiculous.

What took Zane down??

I thought maybe Tsirtsis did in the 1st period of their match but I'm not sure.

Anyone else see Reenan decommitted from Northwestern? Stevie Wonder could have seen that one coming.

Which guy will you guys miss the most? I will miss Ian Miller a ton, he was a pleasure to watch. Bummer he had to wrestle through that injury at NCAAs.

Shout out to my former college coach Jon Sioredis getting the head coaching job at Cal Poly. It's especially awesome because he found out Grand Canyon was cutting their wrestling program on a recruiting trip:mad:

Given his track record in recruiting and coaching. Look forward to seeing him build something powerful there

Between this and Fresno state bringing back wrestling. It's nice to have some positive news about wrestling out west

That's some crazy news. Can't believe it. Can't say I am happy with Lee going to Iowa.

Back