NBA/NHL players have 82 games per year. MMA fighters have 4 fights per year.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
tenor.gif

Nah, I rather have my fighters be cocky rich pretty boys who rustle the fuck out of the fans because they thinks it's unfair that athletes get paid a shitload to fight or play a game meanwhile they don't, even though what they do is more "important".
giphy.gif

<NewGina>

NHL/NBA/MLB/NFL all have two things the UFC does not

1. Plethora of A-level athletes
2. Lack of USADA

Meanwhile the UFC has
1. Greg Hardy
2. USADA

They also have a union.

You obviously know very little about sports. NBA/NHL players make a lot more money to begin with. Secondly, both the NHL and NBA have an extended offseason -- barring playoff runs, hockey players are off from mid April until September. And lastly, training for those sports is much less demanding than training for MMA.
Says you?

The training mma fighters go through is tougher then half the sports who get paid way better.

Anyone thinking fighter pay in mma is ok is clearly not a real fan......

I agree training can be very tough
I also agree that fighter pay is low

But i think the TS was pointing out that NHL players have 82+ chances to bring in income for the team. While UFC fighters bring in income maybe 2x a year.

But these sports comparing completely different business models are ridiculous.

I agree training can be very tough
I also agree that fighter pay is low

But i think the TS was pointing out that NHL players have 82+ chances to bring in income for the team. While UFC fighters bring in income maybe 2x a year.

But these sports comparing completely different business models are ridiculous.
Fans have not shown much appetite to consume mma outside the ufc in any material numbers.

They don’t realize that nba players make what they do because franchise owners compete against each other for talent. The ufc competes against bellator and other orgs, where fighters are guaranteed to draw less. Fighters need to move needles, or they are replaceable. Like it or not.

Until mma stablizes in guaranteed revenue it’s going to be hard to change. NBA owners know what their revenues will be within a reasonable range. People forget that while cba ensures players get x%, it also ensures they don’t get more than x%. It likely limits total payroll.

Mma expenses get too high, it’s not like other things wouldn’t have to change in order for returns to be worth being in the game. I know you know this of course.

Stop comparing MMA to team sports that have been around for 50+ years

Fans have not shown much appetite to consume mma outside the ufc in any material numbers.

They don’t realize that nba players make what they do because franchise owners compete against each other for talent. The ufc competes against bellator and other orgs, where fighters are guaranteed to draw less. Fighters need to move needles, or they are replaceable. Like it or not.

Until mma stablizes in guaranteed revenue it’s going to be hard to change. NBA owners know what their revenues will be within a reasonable range. People forget that while cba ensures players get x%, it also ensures they don’t get more than x%. It likely limits total payroll.

Mma expenses get too high, it’s not like other things wouldn’t have to change in order for returns to be worth being in the game. I know you know this of course.

I hear you

Threads comparing two different business models are silly.

But paying 13-17% of revenue when profits are so high is too weighted on the UFC side.

that is all that needs to be said.
I post the actual numbers all the time

comparing different business models is a waste of time IMO, but I guess that is a large part of SD

I hear you

Threads comparing two different business models are silly.

But paying 13-17% of revenue when profits are so high is too weighted on the UFC side.

that is all that needs to be said.
I post the actual numbers all the time

comparing different business models is a waste of time IMO, but I guess that is a large part of SD
Problem is now you have an investor(s) who purchased a company and requires those profits to provide sufficient return on their investment.

Problem is now you have an investor(s) who purchased a company and requires those profits to provide sufficient return on their investment.

There is no problem
They make more profit than the previous regime did.

They paid a price requiring them to make more.

The company went up in value
It is worth more now than when they bought it

Not sure of what point you are trying to make, but new owners can certainly pay a higher % to fighters.
The filed/legal financials are proof of that.

A company that makes about $35 profit on every $100 brought in, is insane.
They made a very good deal buying UFC (no matter what some uninformed believe on here) & unless there is a major catastrophe they will be fine for many years.
In 2019 they will have about $500m in broadcast revenue alone. That is not including a single PPV.

50% of the NHL revenue are shared among its players. Compare that to the laughable UFC. That's the difference between an organization with a union (NHLPA) and a circus run by an authoritarian baldfather..

The company went up in value
It is worth more now than when they bought it

Not sure of what point you are trying to make, but new owners can certainly pay a higher % to fighters.
The filed/legal financials are proof of that.

A company that makes about $35 profit on every $100 brought in, is insane.
They made a very good deal buying UFC (no matter what some uninformed believe on here) & unless there is a major catastrophe they will be fine for many years.
In 2019 they will have about $500m in broadcast revenue alone. That is not including a single PPV.
Would they have gone up in value if their expenses increased 20%? 40%?

You need to make a lot of money to provide a sufficient risk adjusted return relative to a $4-5b valuation.

I’m not commenting on whether it was a good deal or not. But a significant unexpected increase in expenses wouldn’t be good from an investor perspective.

d level "sport"
<30>

probably thats why Jon Jones is mentaly re*arded: his brothers have achieved much more than him and they could destroy him in a fight. His younger brother is the much better version of Jones.

imagine the ufc paying every fighter 15 million dollars per year... the whole ladder would change.
<{danawhoah}><{danawhoah}><{danawhoah}>

Last edited:
Why does every other retard think sports stars are overpaid? If the sport is generating billions then of course the stars will make millions ......mma is just slowly getting there to a fairer redisribution of the profits

Would they have gone up in value if their expenses increased 20%? 40%?

You need to make a lot of money to provide a sufficient risk adjusted return relative to a $4-5b valuation.

I’m not commenting on whether it was a good deal or not. But a significant unexpected increase in expenses wouldn’t be good from an investor perspective.

I answered everything you asked
They make far more profit than comparable companies that are valued in the $4-5b range
They can easily pay 20-25% of revenue & still be extremely profitable.
The filed numbers prove that.

they paid $120m approx in fighter pay in 2016
If they went up 3% (to 20%) that would be only $21m more
That would barely alter the outlook of the company but go a long way with fighters.

They could have given 550 fighters a Christmas bonus of $36k each (just to do easy math)
You tell me fighters would not love that?
Or they could do it per amount of fights that year, etc.

The numbers are the numbers man.

Have a good day & nice back/forth

You obviously know very little about sports. NBA/NHL players make a lot more money to begin with. Secondly, both the NHL and NBA have an extended offseason -- barring playoff runs, hockey players are off from mid April until September. And lastly, training for those sports is much less demanding than training for MMA.
NHL players train a lot harder than UFC fighters. The league has off season, not the players. Players take around 2 weeks off after the season, then it's daily training. Hockey players are in peak condition year round. There's no ballooning in hockey.

If you don't train 50 weeks a year, somebody else will and bye sweet money. Not only that, your body will not hold up if you aren't in peak physical condition.

This goes for all sports, from golf to table tennis to soccer etc. If you aren't in peak condition, somebody else is. It goes without saying that it is a lot easier to train 1-2 hours a day if you have no day job. Seriously, what else should these athletes do? Sit at home and play CoD? Practice at least let them get out of the house once a day.

He who sacrifices and suffers the most wins.

Back