Navy buffs, ever seen this thing on a carrier?

A square peg in 3 differently-shaped round holes.

Yes, the brass who know nothing try to create a single plane for all missions. At least they have the Growler.

I am a Navy veteran yet my understanding was counterpart USAF jets and aircraft did not have the folding wings. I could be wrong though.

I was Air Force and yeah, we don't have the folding wings. Those are only for airframes that will sit on carriers, to conserve space. At least that's my understanding.

But I think the guy was talking about the vertical stabilizers on the empennage (the tail). F-18 ones have that 45 degree slant. F-15 are straight up and down at 90 degree angles. The F-22 does have the 45 degree stabs as well.

Is that an F-22 on the deck? I figured with the 45° wings on the back it'd be a Hornet being it's a Navy Carrier, but it looks like a Raptor.
I think it's the F-35, if it has a single engine (hard to tell in that pic) that would be my guess.

I think it's the F-35, if it has a single engine (hard to tell in that pic) that would be my guess.

There was an F22 prototype they built for carrier launches and vertical takeoffs, similar to the F35, but it never gained any traction. I've seen one video of it and I can never find it.

It's so you don't die if the guy landing blows his approach.

Isn’t that port the slingshot control?

There was an F22 prototype they built for carrier launches and vertical takeoffs, similar to the F35, but it never gained any traction. I've seen one video of it and I can never find it.

I've actually watched one at a base I worked at, the STOVL version of the F-35. You're right, they just went into the recycle bin with the F-117.
f13-09625pr-2__main.jpg

I've often seen and heard the F-22s flying above, but once in a while, I hear something loud, but can't see any jets in the air. I wonder if they got the Predator/Harry Potter/Star Trek invisibility cloak.

I lived in Mira Mesa as a kid, saw the Blue Angels fly overhead daily (back when Top Gun and them were outta Miramar before it switched to USMC)
nothing like sitting on the 15 in traffic while they do their rapid take off and landing drills.

The Integrated Catapult Control Station (ICCS):

Image1149.jpg
Modern US Navy aircraft carriers use the Integrated Catapult Control Station (ICCS) which was introduced into the fleet in 1975. The station, also known as the "bubble," permits added safety and increased efficiency in carrier launchings. It is the focal point of the catapult control system, which eliminates various remote stations and their required intercommunications during every airplane launch.

The "bubble" can be retracted into the flight deck and is only installed aboard the NIMITZ - class aircraft carriers. One "bubble" is located between Catapult#1 and #2 and the second "bubble" is situated on the port side of the carrier, left of Catapult#4.

The usage of the bubble is not vital for a catapult launch: the NIMITZ - class carriers are also equipped with the "old" remote stations that are used to operate the catapults aboard the older carriers. So if the bubble is not used to launch the plane it is done with the help of these remote stations.
https://www.navysite.de/cvn/flightdeck.htm

Where I'm at the F-35 flies overhead constantly. I love when the idiots driving in front of me stop their cars as the F-35 flies over my truck in slow moving VTOL flight. Nothing like having 60,000 lbs of aircraft overhead as the vertical thrust beat the hell out of the roof of your vehicle. Fun.

They fly slowly in VTOL over a road?

Man you know how it is. Too gay for the army, not gay enough for the navy. Where do I belong?

Marines? I heard they have Marines on ships because they don't smell as bad as sheep.

The Integrated Catapult Control Station (ICCS):

Image1149.jpg
Modern US Navy aircraft carriers use the Integrated Catapult Control Station (ICCS) which was introduced into the fleet in 1975. The station, also known as the "bubble," permits added safety and increased efficiency in carrier launchings. It is the focal point of the catapult control system, which eliminates various remote stations and their required intercommunications during every airplane launch.

The "bubble" can be retracted into the flight deck and is only installed aboard the NIMITZ - class aircraft carriers. One "bubble" is located between Catapult#1 and #2 and the second "bubble" is situated on the port side of the carrier, left of Catapult#4.

The usage of the bubble is not vital for a catapult launch: the NIMITZ - class carriers are also equipped with the "old" remote stations that are used to operate the catapults aboard the older carriers. So if the bubble is not used to launch the plane it is done with the help of these remote stations.
https://www.navysite.de/cvn/flightdeck.htm

A very timely response. Thank you.

Back