Nate Diaz Dropped a Spot in the Lightweight Rankings After Fight With Conor at 170

Ferguson vs Diaz may be the best fight the UFC could make at the moment. Stinks Diaz won't fight anyone other than Conor tho, there are just so many awesome match ups that could be made (Poirier, Duffy, Lando, Conor, Cerrone, Diaz, Ferguson, Barboza, King Green).

I don't think it is insignificant at all. That was a solid win but nonetheless, Conor isn't a LW. Beating him shouldn't earn you a top 5 LW ranking, albeit I think they gave him that before the first Conor fight to legitimize him.

I felt he earned that spot beating Michael Johnson who was on a tear up until Nate stopped him. Nate looked very, very good in that fight.

I'm just giving you an example. He is supposed to be fighting at both LW and WW though and wants alvarez next.

I don't exactly see how Nate earns the top 5 spot at this point. Conor was a great win but he's a FW and consequently unranked at LW.

He's got that impressive 29-28 over Michael Johnson (who was coming off a loss) but other than that, absolutely nothing impressive since 2011. This is arguably the deepest division in UFC. You should have to do more to earn a top 5 spot imo. That's my only point.

Johnson did not lose that fight to dariush.I can see your point for why he shouldnt be ranked top 5 i just dont think there is 5 fighters who are better then him at 155 in the ufc right now.I just think if he had beaten conor he would have people calling for a title shot but as u point out hes a fw and unranked at lw but now that he lost to him we have people saying he is a fringe top 10 lw,and he is just a journeyman.

ufc rankings make no sense you realize Al Iaquinta is lower than will brooks in the LW Rankings even tho Will Brooks only ufc fight is a decision win over ross pearson a guy Al finished

Al Iaquinta also has finish wins over joe lauzon and rodrigo damm but is lower than will brooks in the rankings

Ferguson vs Diaz may be the best fight the UFC could make at the moment. Stinks Diaz won't fight anyone other than Conor tho, there are just so many awesome match ups that could be made (Poirier, Duffy, Lando, Conor, Cerrone, Diaz, Ferguson, Barboza, King Green).

But there not big money matchups and he knows that.Diaz has done his time in mma and deserves big money fights

Didn't Buffer introduce him as the #1 lightweight contender prior to the fight?

He drops to #5 behind

#4 Edson Barboza
#3 Tony Ferguson
#2 Rafael Dos Anjos
#1 Khabib
C: Eddie Alvarez

I don't think he deserved a spot in the top 5 at all. He did beat Michael Johnson, but other than that, he hasn't done jack shit in a long time. He is 3-4 in his last seven with one of his wins being Gray Maynard and the other Conor.

It is clear the UFC gifted Nate the top 5 ranking based the fact that they need to make it seem like Conor had a fight with a legitimate top 5 lightweight. Nate is fringe top 10 at best IMO.

Who did Tony and Barboza beat to earn their ranking? Khabib has one good win also.

Johnson did not lose that fight to dariush.I can see your point for why he shouldnt be ranked top 5 i just dont think there is 5 fighters who are better then him at 155 in the ufc right now.I just think if he had beaten conor he would have people calling for a title shot but as u point out hes a fw and unranked at lw but now that he lost to him we have people saying he is a fringe top 10 lw,and he is just a journeyman.
I think Nate would have gotten the TS if he won but that would be more of a spectacle than anything. In no way did he earn it compared to a guy like Ferguson for example who has won 7 or 8 in a row.

I think he's a rough fight for Conor due to size, but I do consider Nate in a lot of ways a journeyman. He fought for the title, but that was a while ago and he got absolutely smoked. He was brutalized by Dos Anjos. He was finished by strikes against Thomson.

He's not a bum, he's a great fighter, and there are a few guys in the top 10 he may be able to beat on a given night, but he is not the best that LW has to offer IMO.

Who did Tony and Barboza beat to earn their ranking? Khabib has one good win also.
Khabib is a good one. It's crazy that if you take away the Dos Anjos win, you could argue he's not even top 15.

That being said, Barboza has two straight wins against good guys. Pettis was #3 when they fought and was coming off split decision against the current champ. Barboza out Pettis'd Pettis.

Also, Melendez was ranked #5 before getting removed for suspension, and that could be the most decisive loss of his career. The guy also had a SD with the current champ and was never really outclassed before but Barboza beat him with little to no trouble.

Tony beat Barboza and Thomson which isn't a bad resume but the rest of his wins are so so.

lol it's still a gift ranking. He lost 3 of his last 5 before fighting Conor and his only top level win since 2011 has been Michael Johnson.

Nate should be behind Will Brooks and Cerrone as well. If we doing outside the UFC Bendo too.

Michael Johnson at the time was Top 5. But yeah, Nate Diaz is top 10 in talent, but not Top 5 in resume or talent.

And Michael Johnson was ranked where? :rolleyes:
He was #6 at the time and coming off a loss. That is Nate's only top 10 win since 2011.

Cerrone in contrast, who is ranked #6, was recently two spots behind Nate despite being 8-1 in his last 9 at LW with five top 10 wins and a win over the current champ during that streak.

But I know... I know... Nate beat him. Albeit a half decade ago that is the go to argument

lol it's still a gift ranking. He lost 3 of his last 5 before fighting Conor and his only top level win since 2011 has been Michael Johnson.

Nate should be behind Will Brooks and Cerrone as well. If we doing outside the UFC Bendo too.
Fuck yeah. I just looked at Cerrone's resume and he is 8-1 in his last 9 at LW with five top ten wins including a win over the champ. Yet Diaz was just two spots ahead of him. Lmao

Wait you're telling me the UFC still has rankings?

TS is salty after his thread where he called his friend delusional for thinking Conor will win the rematch... and then Conor won.

Must feel bad.

TS is salty after his thread where he called his friend delusional for thinking Conor will win the rematch... and then Conor won.

Must feel bad.
I didn't say he was delusional for thinking Conor could win, it was because he jumped on the bandwagon that Conor gassing and losing the first fight was a total fluke having underestimated Nate.

If you care to check my post history, you will see that I point out multiple times in my threads that Conor SHOULD NOT BE COUNTED OUT

Back