N/S choke in mma

The trick is to turn it into a dragon sleeper.

The dragon sleeper is so dope. Justin Rader and Bill Cooper are using it a lot right now. I'm trying to see if I can actually make it a strangle and not a crank but no luck so far

I've tried the Monson way where you make an X with your wrists and lay on top of them and it bugs my wrists a lot when I do it that way.

His finish is super powerful though.

I'll have to watch how Marcelo does it again because I thought that he did it the same way

I’m the opposite, I’ve been training since 09, and my ns has become my main weapon once I achieve side mount... if your good at it, then you are really just one step away from finishing the fighr
If you have some spare time, drop your tips on the N/S choke please and thank you.

If you have some spare time, drop your tips on the N/S choke please and thank you.

Mmm.. i mimic Marcelo in the Exact motion... my main side control position 3/4 NS, I’m taking about no go by the way, as soon as I pass or get side control , I place one arm on the near hip and i pass my other arm (the one which is doning shoulder pressure) on top of my opponents head ... i don’t wrap my arm around the head just yet... i first ninja my opponents head into position with my lats, that means he should not realize your going for the choke, if he sees it coming, he’ll turn his face towards you and you lose the choke, so little by little you move his face so he’s looking at the cealing... once im sure his head is stuck in between my armpit, i drive forward and turn his face with my lats to the far side, looking away, this gives me room to wrap his head without giving too much space, you should be smashing his face your your lats, then I wrap his head and get ready to transition to ns, i don’t go flat, I switch my hips, and end up in a reverse kesa, and transition clockwise to ns, dropping my hips slowly till i get flat on my stomach, then it’s time to drop some shoulder on trachea, normally people will tap in the transition, if not, the shoulder drop should do the trick...

Last edited:
The learning curve is definitely steep and I think a lot of us get impatient and just we quit working on it.

For the guys who get good at it though it's very high percentage

Monson has 17 wins via the north south choke... 17.

Would the n/s choke be considered a blood choke? I've heard it called an air choke before, but the only time I've been tapped with it sure felt like a blood choke

Mmm.. i mimic Marcelo in the Exact motion... my main side control position 3/4 NS, I’m taking about no go by the way, as soon as I pass or get side control , I place one arm on the near hip and i pass my other arm (the one which is doning shoulder pressure) on top of my opponents head ... i don’t wrap my arm around the head just yet... i first ninja my opponents head into position with my lats, that means he should not realize your going for the choke, if he sees it coming, he’ll turn his face towards you and you lose the choke, so little by little you move his face so he’s looking at the cealing... once im sure his head is stuck in between my armpit, i drive forward and turn his face with my lats to the far side, looking away, this gives me room to wrap his head without giving too much space, you should be smashing his face your your lats, then I wrap his head and get ready to transition to ns, i don’t go flat, I switch my hips, and end up in a reverse kesa, and transition clockwise to ns, dropping my hips slowly till i get flat on my stomach, then it’s time to drop some shoulder on trachea, normally people will tap in the transition, if not, the shoulder drop should do the trick...

Yupp I think this is the best way. Its like an arm triangle in that all the pressure should be coming from your body, not the arm squeeze. I'll usually do it 1-handed, using the non-choking hand to clear the opponent's arm or push his hand away if necessary. IMO if you have to squeeze then the mechanics aren't right.

Yupp I think this is the best way. Its like an arm triangle in that all the pressure should be coming from your body, not the arm squeeze. I'll usually do it 1-handed, using the non-choking hand to clear the opponent's arm or push his hand away if necessary. IMO if you have to squeeze then the mechanics aren't right.

I perfected my technique by drilling with one hand, it’s very usefull since you can’t squeeze with your arms, but when I roll, i have to connect my hands in order to avoid been pushed away, a common defense is to try to push away your opponents face...

I perfected my technique by drilling with one hand, it’s very usefull since you can’t squeeze with your arms, but when I roll, i have to connect my hands in order to avoid been pushed away, a common defense is to try to push away your opponents face...

True but I'll use that hand to clear their hand away if they're trying to push my face, either way I guess. Plus I just think its sweet to choke people with one hand :D I think the key though is they power isn't coming from the squeeze on the arms. Some folks here are saying their neck gets hurt when they get n/s choked, which tells me alot of guys are looking at the n/s like a reverse guillotine, which isn't the right way at all.

Frank Shamrock locked one in pretty tight on Basito. I couldn’t believe he found a way out.

True but I'll use that hand to clear their hand away if they're trying to push my face, either way I guess. Plus I just think its sweet to choke people with one hand :D I think the key though is they power isn't coming from the squeeze on the arms. Some folks here are saying their neck gets hurt when they get n/s choked, which tells me alot of guys are looking at the n/s like a reverse guillotine, which isn't the right way at all.

I understand but eventually you will have to drop your weight on your opponent... let’s say I’m going for a na choke on my left arm, someone who’s decent will immediately try to bring his left hand in the mix, pushing your face away to make enough space to turn his head towards you, you will be dealing with that hand (and the other as well) with your free hand, you win the battle and get pass his left arm, now this arm will not be able to get under chin, but will still be able to push your head, this push in my experience is enough to get my weight off him, or at least some of it that I cannot apply the choke correctly. So as soon as i end up dealing with his hands, i drop my weight and connect a gable grip, they are not going to push me away anymore... at least this is my experience, the gable grip is just so you stay tight, like you said, the choke should be based on your weight and shoulder drop, not your arm squeeeze

Kinda like asking why we don't see too more wheel kick knock outs. Yes it's proven effective. But not everyone is good at them.

The trick is to turn it into a dragon sleeper.

This is one hell of a crank, and always thought why isn’t use in mma, you literally are scare for your life, quite sure it can put you in.a wheel chair if you don’t tap, although I Hit it with one leg trapped, this guy got back control with a reverse Guillotine... that’s some deadly stuff Right there...

I’m the opposite, I’ve been training since 09, and my ns has become my main weapon once I achieve side mount... if your good at it, then you are really just one step away from finishing the fight
this.

I think the reason we dont see it more in mma is because most mma fighters prefer smashing people in halfguard or side control. Why? well It's harder to do damage from the top in north-south because of the unified mma rules which prohibit knees to the head of a grounded opponent, which, in addition to downward elbows (also prohibited), are the two most damaging strikes from the N/S position..

however, in absence of the mma rules, i feel that north/south choke is a much more viable submission because the guy on bottom would be preoccupied with defending his cranium from incoming blows

Last edited:
i have very wide shoulders so i think its hard for me to get my shoulder under there chin im afraid to go for it in a real fight out of fear of it getting on there chin and i waste time

its a submission id love to get better with but i need someone whos very good with it to show me my flaws

i have very wide shoulders so i think its hard for me to get my shoulder under there chin im afraid to go for it in a real fight out of fear of it getting on there chin and i waste time

its a submission id love to get better with but i need someone whos very good with it to show me my flaws

while the shoulder drop helps, you can still get it as a clean choke, so theres no real need to get that shoulder fully under the throat.I dont really see why a whide shoulder would get in the way though, get to reverse kesa and expose the throat with your back lats, if that makes sense.

while the shoulder drop helps, you can still get it as a clean choke, so theres no real need to get that shoulder fully under the throat.I dont really see why a whide shoulder would get in the way though, get to reverse kesa and expose the throat with your back lats, if that makes sense.

i have a weird body type i have very wide shoulders but short arms so darces are hard for me to hit too when guys are broad

Back