Mysterious Rib Injury?

I first did this 8 years ago escaping side mount from a 300lb+ wrestler. Went to ER and nothing showed. Later that night, a friend stopped over who just graduated med school. She found a dislocated rib and popped it back. Appears I also likely tore some cartilage/etc.
Bump has been there ever since and the injury reappears usually once a year. Takes me bout 6-8 weeks to heal.

Unfortunately, I did exactly this to a guy at my gym one of the first times I was rolling live.

Not even spazzing, just going for a normal stack and I heard a wet pop.

His rib dislocated and you could see it poking out, even through a t-shirt (no gi that day).

He basically went through what you did, but somehow managed to get it back into place with a bit of stretching and muscle relaxers. It did take a day though.

He's still about 80%, a month later.

Several of the other guys at the gym have had similar experiences in the past and at least one still has bumps where the ribs never got set.

Evidently surgery is the only option after about a week because the rib starts to set in the wrong place.

In my opinion, everyone who is actively grappling on a regular basis needs to have a good sports doc's card in their wallet - they're most likely to be able to recognize something like this and know how important it is to get it fixed ASAP.

Chiropractor should be an JJ guys best friend; doctors and pain pills are generally a waste, unless you are rolling with idiots who are going all out and hurting people all the time, it's generally a dislocation.

For single and double pops chiropractor; for triples, cracks, and rips hospital.

No Anderson Silva mention here? I'm disappointed

Glad to see that I am not alone on this one.

Damn bump was big when it first happened, but mine felt like a bruise. It happened when rolling and all I felt was like my skin was being pinched by my gi. I tapped so we could stop and start in a new position. Had another roll then looked at my rib.

Sounds like I have something similar, just not as bad.

I'm guessing this is a flexibility tightness issue.
Not in the way that you people are not flexible, but in that over time your core has tightened up and not addressed.
Several people I know have this injury, I call it the bjj ab pull.

When I remmeber I try to get a few core/ab stretches in before I roll. The twisting core stuff and the cobra are my preferred. Basically using Verstagens core performance material for my dynamic stretches.

Wow I googled this not even thinking of looking on sherdog about it. I was rolling in BJJ one day felt a pop and couple minutes later I was in so much pain breathing. An ever since I was in terrible pain from this. I took a month off back in Jan it felt lil better but still hurts now.

I went to my doctor, got xrays done that showed nothing and it still feels like the rib is pertruding out or theres some kind of bump on the rib. Anything of you guys feel better long term?

I have this same thing, except from striking sparring (punched in ribs).
Can anybody speak on how it is in the long term? Does it ever go back or will it never be the same again?

Same basic injury here a few years back, caused by a bad throw in Judo, and the resulting bad landing. Had a knot, intense pain when doing anything which agitated the rib area, xray showed nothing. Best guess is damage to cartilage.

I also tried to get back on the mat before I should've, and paid for it.

If you sustain a similar injury, or any injury for that matter, do yourself a favor and just let it heal. If you're not making money from coaching or competing, stay off the mat until you can at least drill without pain. It's not worth it otherwise.

I have this same thing, except from striking sparring (punched in ribs).
Can anybody speak on how it is in the long term? Does it ever go back or will it never be the same again?

It's probably torn cartilage in the rib. It happened to me a couple of years ago. It took a good month and a half before I was back to rolling, but that's probably because after 2 weeks it felt ok in normal life I went back to the gym and it hurt all over again. I would say give it two weeks after it starts to feels fine in normal life. There has not been any long term effects from it for me.

Young Turkey = necromancer confirm/deny? I had a rib injury took 5 weeks and was rolling really light for another 2

Last edited:
Young Turkey = necromancer confirm/deny? I had a rib injury took 5 weeks and was rolling really light for another 2

Can confirm. I found this thread and decided to bump it in case any of the old posters may come across it and share their long term experiences.

Thanks for your replies though

I actually got pertussis a couple years ago, and tore cartilage from coughing. Hurt like hell for two, three months. Fuck you, pertussis.

Back