Mysterious Rib Injury?

I'm getting over the same thing for the second time. No breaks but I have a large gumball sized knot right on the bone. Went to two different docs and they both said the same thing yours did. Probally inflammed tissue or a bone bruise. Give it some time and it will get better. But I am 4 months into my last injury and when I lay on my side sometimes I can still feel it twinge up on me.

Triso:

I hear you friend on this one... This 275 meathead was practicing with me in BJJ class and he really nailed me on the ribs hard with his shoulder as he was passing my guard (I weigh 155 so you can imagine). He knocked the wind out of me badly and I felt it instantly that something was wrong with my ribs as I had real bad pain when I breathed.

Went to the ER.. X-Rays and the shit.. Nothing at all. I know the bulge you mean cause I had the same thing on my ribs and I even felt it.

I could not do jiu jitsu, nor a single push up for about 1 month and a half.. I had to sleep with a orthophedic pillow tied around my ribcage with my white belt.

Be warned that although at around exactly 4 weeks into my injury (just like you) I was starting to feel the pain go away and I was really itching to be able to get back into the mat to train. Thing is I went to a session and as we where drilling the scissor sweep, my partner swepts me into my injured side and you can imagine the rest.. I was again in pain for about 2 weeks..

About 4 days ago the pain actually became bearable and yesterday was the first time I was back in class at full. Something weird happened yesterday as well.. As we where doing forward rolls to warm up I felt this weird stretching sensation in my fucked up rib and then sort of goey warmness all around the injured area.. I was pretty scared I thought I was having some sort of internal bleeding but after a few minutes it went away.

Bottom line is my rib still hurts but the pain has gotten to the point where I can function and train normally.

Friend of mine had something similar. X-rays and tests showed nothing, and then the doctor finally figured out there had been some cartilage separation.

weird. anybody got any photos of these mystery bumps, i'm damn curious!

You have all likely damaged the area where your rib cartilage attaches to your rib bone. Totally different from a broken/fractured rib. Nothing will show up on xray.

It will heal with rest and time, but there can be a permanent visual/functional change if it is severe enough. Not enough to prevent you from grappling again, though.

I've had it too, but I'm back to normal now.

I'd bet a million bucks that all of you who have had the "bulge" had it towards the front/side of your rib cage...not right next to your sternum, not right on the side underneath your armpit, and DEFINITELY not on your backside...

You have all likely damaged the area where your rib cartilage attaches to your rib bone. Totally different from a broken/fractured rib. Nothing will show up on xray.

It will heal with rest and time, but there can be a permanent visual/functional change if it is severe enough. Not enough to prevent you from grappling again, though.

I've had it too, but I'm back to normal now.

I'd bet a million bucks that all of you who have had the "bulge" had it towards the front/side of your rib cage...not right next to your sternum, not right on the side underneath your armpit, and DEFINITELY not on your backside...

Yep. My lump is in that place!

I did it rolling at BJJ about 8 - 10 weeks ago.

It doesn't really hurt now but the lump is still there. Its a bit weird and a bit of a worry that it might get knocked. The hospital didn't xray but said it is prob soft tissue of bruised bone. My doc said the same. They said it will go in time. That was about 8 weeks ago.

I might go to a chiropractor?

At first the paid was 10 out of 10 now it is about 1 out of 10 at times which is more of a niggle than anything else. But still I'd rather it be back to normal.

(quite an old thead this one! I found it on a google search - so it must be bugging me!!)

Similar thing happened when I first started rolling.

I was cranking a guillotine with the guy's head pressed against my ribs. Then I felt a

*POP!

then excruciating pain, shortness of breath, I stopped rolling altogether for around 4 weeks.

Doctors couldn't tell me anything, X-rays showed nothing.

I basically rehabbed myself. Reciting Qur'an really helped - it heals and also the constant breathing while reciting also helped.

I also started (slowly and CAREFULLY) trying to strengthen all the muscles surrounding the site of injury, starting from the outside and slowly, over days, working inward towards the site of pain. Example, crunches on the opposite side and slowly working muscles closer to it.
I think this helped by 1. Bringing blood closer to the site 2. taking load off of the injury. Stop at any sharp pain.

If you don't feel any pain while jogging, I suggest you do, Then try Running or sprinting. If I can run or jog while injured and it doesn't effect the injury I always do, I think it speeds up my recovery X3!

I also suggest you eat a healthy amount of fresh food including fatty fish, milk, pomegrantes, a multivitamin and plenty of water.

Once you feel good to go, take it easy in sparring, tell your partner to avoid that side of your ribs. Give it another 4-6 weeks to heal completely before going all out.

Don't know about the lump, but I would assume it will go down once you're completely healed.

did the same thing but had waited around 5weeks to heal then i started training again, after about a week into it while rolling with my dad i reinjured it and now i have been out of it for about a week or so

it is getting to be a real annoyance since it has kept me from competing in the last couple bjj tournaments

if anyone knows how to speed up recovery besides rest and ice and ibprofun or aleve please help a brotha out?

nevermind i just saw the above post but any other suggestions?

I have suffered a similar injury two weeks ago at bjj. The x-rays were clear but I still have this golf ball size lump at front /side of ribs. I am slowly getting better bar the lump which is still quite prominent. This could be cartilage that wouldn't show on x-ray. My question is 'Any of you guys who have had this injury - did your bump ever go away?'

Many thanks

kenny

I have it on both sides, ive posted on here before and had the same replies, lots of people have it , no-one can give you a name for it, everyone gets over it, it does re-occur, you do have to have 3 or 4 weeks of very restricted training and then a feww weeks of light rolling.

Mine are worse when people try to posture up in my guard by pressing on my ribs!!

good luck

Thanks for your swift reply. You say that you did get over it but did you get rid of the lump ? Yeah I guess it will always be a weak point for me from now on.

Thanks

Kenny

This has happened to me twice. Once I was out for about 2 weeks, but the last time I injured my ribs in the same spot and wound up with a hair line fracture (6 weeks). I give up alot of weight when I train and have had to find new ways to position my body while on the bottom to avoid injury.

That place in my ribs has never been the same and i still have a small bump there. Don't jump right back on the mat. try running and then sprinting before full contact anything. Make sure you can breathe correctly or you could re-injure it and be out for 6 weeks again or worse break it all together.

Also try improving your core strength and your fluidity to be able to escape postions that put pressure on your ribcage. The best way to heal is not to get hurt in the first place.

Thanks guys, a lump I can accept but not one that looks like a rib is sticking out and feels bony. Does it at least go down. I have seen a chiropractor who is working on it also and doesn't think it's the rib. I would hope that it would go back to near normal ?

Had the same thing from doing 2 on 1's with my soldiers here in Iraq. It kills for a while but if you are careful you can still train. The bump on the rib is still there after about 3 months so I'm not sure when or if it will go away.

Popped rib cartilage at the costocondral junction it is. Still sticking out and might look for an opertation if it doesn't go down any. Consultant tried to put it back in place but said that it was too late after a month. Begs the question whether something could've been done at the time of the injury.

Kenny

I still have the lump 8 months later. It doesn't go anywhere. I've been told there's nothing you can really do about it.

A guy at my gym had the same thing, and they never figured out what it really was. We were practicing sissor sweeps when he felt a pop and couldn't breath. The docs told him it was a pulled muscle in his oblique area, but the pain seemed up around his lowest rib. Dunno, he's still out.

Back