Opinion Murica would be safer if they start introducing psychological tests before you can buy a gun

One of those would cripple society due to providing a vital function, the other wouldn't change anything relevant. You made about as poor of a comparison as you possibly could have.

You're comment lacks sufficiency. Please continue.

If everyone stopped being a meanie, there would be no murders.

Let's go back to the fact you keep falsely claiming that people who suggest a psych test are actually trying to ban guns. Why are you doing that? Also if you are scared of taking a psych test then what is your suggestion? More guns? Thoughts and prayers?
How about just focus on reducing inequality, which correlates with violence, and expanding access to mental healthcare in general?

How about just focus on reducing inequality, which correlates with violence, and expanding access to mental healthcare in general?
Why not both?

Says the guy who doesn't seem to understand the purpose of the evaluation.

Funny-Animal-Laughing-Sea-Lion-Picture.jpg

Why not both?
I've explained my reasoning earlier ITT so I'll just repost it
If you make it contingent on a psychological test you're going to incentivize would-be gun owners to deal dishonestly with the psychologists so as to ensure he gets his gun.

What we should do is expand access to mental healthcare in general, particular through public schools IMO. There are other problems associated with youth that can be addressed that way as well, stuff as serious as drug addiction and child abuse to more mundane problems like safe sex or depression or anxiety. And you pick it up early too.
Funny because I'm the opposite, its the one that worries me the most. People seem to underestimate just how common mental illness is. Something like 50% of the population will at some point in their lives experience some form of mental illness and if you exclude seniors its still 25%. Not to mention it can make people less likely to seek mental health if they think it means they might not be able to own a gun in the future.
If anything that's just another reason not to support psychological testing for gun ownership. I'm not quite as skeptical of it as you seem to be but I will say skepticism here is not unwarranted, psychology is a young science and its far from perfect.

Sounds like "infringed" to me and the 2nd straight says "shall not be infringed", so...

No.

Lol hard core right wing gun nuts even want the psychotics to own weapons and they would cream their jeans if they could carry them in public too.

If you tell an average American about scrapping the 2nd amendment they will go apeshit. So we dont want to do that.

What instead should be done, is psychological tests measuring mental capabilities each individual owning a gun. Not just initially but every so often, 5 or 10 years. You dont get a sane person to come out and shoot everyone 'just because'.

Surely, this method wont prevent occurrences like that but it definitely greatly reduce it.

The thing with people going crazy..
you're not always crazy.

If you tell an average American about scrapping the 2nd amendment they will go apeshit. So we dont want to do that.

What instead should be done, is psychological tests measuring mental capabilities each individual owning a gun. Not just initially but every so often, 5 or 10 years. You dont get a sane person to come out and shoot everyone 'just because'.

Surely, this method wont prevent occurrences like that but it definitely greatly reduce it.

How would you enforce this?

Can we apply to people before we let them vote?

Lol hard core right wing gun nuts even want the psychotics to own weapons and they would cream their jeans if they could carry them in public too.

This is such a baiting, disingenuous and crappy comment . . . super helpful.

There are already laws in many states dictating the rules of firearm ownership for people with mental diseases. From what I've gathered, DC vs. Heller upheld that the right is not unlimited, and people with mental diseases could have it restricted by the government.

Sorry psychological has too many syllables, the alt right won't understand it and will instead bash you for threatening their precious guns.

Yes. We're so stupid we won't get it. After all, we want guns in the hands of crazy people.

So people with psychological problems shouldn't have a right do self defense with firearms?

I would like that but I think there's too much wiggle room there legally. You could control who gets guns by controlling the criteria for what a "normal" person is. There's no real way to standardize this in an enforceable way. I think we'll just have to make mental health a bigger priority in general because the guns aren't going anywhere.

This and all of those pesky HIPAA and privacy laws.

Back