MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS (Sequel in the Works)

If you have seen MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
You mean they don't have to reshoot the whole thing because Johnny Depp was accused of domestic abuse?

65% after 26 reviews. I have to say, I'm a little surprised the score is not higher than that. Last I looked it was 71% so hopefully some more positives will come in that will bump the score back up.

I think that I will enjoy it regardless, but I want it to also do well financially so we can get some more big screen adaptations of Christie's stories.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/murder_on_the_orient_express_2017

Capture.png

Johnny Depp being in this movie brings it way down for me. He's the equivalent of clickbait at this point.

Johnny Depp being in this movie brings it way down for me. He's the equivalent of clickbait at this point.

LOL

Well if it makes you feel any better, he only has a total of about 15 minutes of screen time. And his performance is not bad.

Despite mixed reviews from both critics and audiences, Murder on the Orient Express performed beyond expectations at the box office this weekend.

The film, which was predicted to bring in right around $20 million domestically, give or take a couple of million, finishes the weekend with $28.2 million domestically and $85.4 million worldwide. This is on a $55 million budget.

According to reports, nearly 50% of the audience falls into the over-50 demographic.

Personally, I think that while the film could've been better, it's still a good film and a worthwhile watch. I'll stand by my rating of 7.5/10.

I'm happy to see this one doing well. At the end of the film--don't worry, this isn't really a spoiler--they set it up to potentially do Death on the Nile as a sequel. I'd be down to see it, so hopefully the strong box office results encourage the studio to pull the trigger on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm just the only motherfucker to go see this this weekend.

Jesus, even GeoStorm got at least a few Sherdoggers into the theater.

I plan on seeing it sometime soon. I usually never go to a movie right after its release. A little disappointed with the way most reviews are sounding, but maybe this will be better having not seen any of the adaptations, or read the book?

Well be sure to come back and let us know what you think.

Are you familiar with the story at all?
Nope. I like Branagh, and it seemed interesting. Girlfriend loves mysteries too. And getting her to go to a movie with me is like having a root canal. Take what I can get, haha.

Here, shadow. So you won't be lonely. I found another one who saw MotOE:

Murder on the orient Express.

7/10. Was an okay movie. Good acting. Nice twists (never saw the original). Daisy Ridley. Damn Michelle Pfeiffer is looking old as fuck. Ditto Johnny Depp.

I wanna say they don't make movies like this anymore - and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Lol.

Nope. I like Branagh, and it seemed interesting. Girlfriend loves mysteries too. And getting her to go to a movie with me is like having a root canal. Take what I can get, haha.

Well I'll be curious to hear thoughts from someone who knows nothing about the story. I had already read the book and seen two different film adaptations, so it was impossible to go into this one with fresh eyes.

Be sure to avoid spoilers. You don't want to accidentally find out who the killer is.

Here, shadow. So you won't be lonely. I found another one who saw MotOE:

Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like he kinda sorta liked it.

I just don't understand why more people from the Berry didn't go see it. I mean, you could say that it mostly appeals to older audiences, but we had a handful of people ITT who seemed to express real interest in it.

It seems like at least a few of them would've gotten out opening weekend.

Well I'll be curious to hear thoughts from someone who knows nothing about the story. I had already read the book and seen two different film adaptations, so it was impossible to go into this one with fresh eyes.

Be sure to avoid spoilers. You don't want to accidentally find out who the killer is.
You think it will help knowing nothing about it? Hearing pretty mixed reviews. I never know what to think regarding reviews anymore, though. I heard Cabin in the Woods was amazing, and on paper seemed like my kind of movie. Got psyched up for it, went and saw it, and thought it was kind of meh.

You think it will help knowing nothing about it? Hearing pretty mixed reviews. I never know what to think regarding reviews anymore, though. I heard Cabin in the Woods was amazing, and on paper seemed like my kind of movie. Got psyched up for it, went and saw it, and thought it was kind of meh.

Yeah, I definitely think you should avoid all spoilers. It's a murder mystery. You don't want to know who the murderer is before it's time.

As for the mixed reviews, yeah, it's interesting to go read the audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Half of them are like "I fell asleep!" and the other half are like "It was great! I loved it!"

I don't think this is the best adaptation--the 1974 version still holds the title--but this is still a good one and it does have some strengths over the '74 version. Branagh is a better Poirot than Albert Finney was and this one you could probably say is more modern-feeling and visually dazzling (even if I think the use of CGI in some shots was a mistake).

I guess the way I'd sum it up is that it's a movie that wants to be great, but only manages to be good. But it's still good.

Yeah, I definitely think you should avoid all spoilers. It's a murder mystery. You don't want to know who the murderer is before it's time.

As for the mixed reviews, yeah, it's interesting to go read the audience reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. Half of them are like "I fell asleep!" and the other half are like "It was great! I loved it!"

I don't think this is the best adaptation--the 1974 version still holds the title--but this is still a good one and it does have some strengths over the '74 version. Branagh is a better Poirot than Albert Finney was and this one you could probably say is more modern-feeling and visually dazzling (even if I think the use of CGI in some shots was a mistake).

I guess the way I'd sum it up is that it's a movie that wants to be great, but only manages to be good. But it's still good.
Oh, I meant if it would be more enjoyable knowing nothing about the original or book. I always avoid spoilers like the plague. I hear you about using CGI when it isn't needed. Just makes shit look fake to my eyes, prefer a good balance with practical effects.

Oh, I meant if it would be more enjoyable knowing nothing about the original or book. I always avoid spoilers like the plague. I hear you about using CGI when it isn't needed. Just makes shit look fake to my eyes, prefer a good balance with practical effects.

Well if you've read the book, then the ending will be spoiled. So in that sense, it's probably better to know nothing.

Other than that, I dunno. One thing I mentioned is that the characterization is better in the book and in the other films, so in that sense pre-exposure could help because it would allow you to fill in the gaps that Branagh creates in terms of really knowing who everyone is.

But it's hard for me to say because my journey has been really circuitous with this story. I first saw the 1974 version, and then the 2010 version, and only then did I go back and actually read the novel.

Well if you've read the book, then the ending will be spoiled. So in that sense, it's probably better to know nothing.

Other than that, I dunno. One thing I mentioned is that the characterization is better in the book and in the other films, so in that sense pre-exposure could help because it would allow you to fill in the gaps that Branagh creates in terms of really knowing who everyone is.

But it's hard for me to say because my journey has been really circuitous with this story. I first saw the 1974 version, and then the 2010 version, and only then did I go back and actually read the novel.

Is the secret all the movie is tho?

If the secret would completely ruin the movie then its almost a gimmick movie with no rewatchability

I would hope that it would be better than just a twist

Is the secret all the movie is tho?

If the secret would completely ruin the movie then its almost a gimmick movie with no rewatchability

I would hope that it would be better than just a twist

Well I mean, it's like would you want to go into The Sixth Sense already knowing that Bruce Willis is dead? Would you want to watch Primal Fear for the first time already knowing that Edward Norton is a manipulative psychopath?

I'm sure these movies would still be enjoyable, but on a very real level knowing that shit would ruin the experience. Or at least damage it severely.

But Orient Express is more than just the twist, which is why I have revisited the story over and over. I've mentioned that I've seen two other film versions and ready the book. Well I've not only seen two other film versions, but I've watched them multiple times. I've probably seen the '74 version three times and the 2010 version twice.

For me, what keeps bringing me back to the story over and over are a few things:

1. The character of Poirot. He's great. He's weird, he's whimsical, he's eccentric in the most amusing ways. It's interesting to watch him work, to see his process.

2. The train itself is a character. I've always thought that trains are cool, and there's something about a motley crew of people in the 1930s on a train that is the height of luxury that is fun to me.

Here's the real-life Orient Express as it exists today BTW. I would love to travel on that shit one day.

19224842_1767120589996920_7406689412543731155_n-1-800x300.jpg

VSOE-Berlin.jpg

Orient-Express-2_Fotor-960x500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

good is good enough for me, cheers

I've been pretty excited to see this since I first saw the trailer. Not really familiar with the story, just looked like fun. I initially thought it was a Wes Anderson movie. Hopefully I can check it out this week sometime.

Back