Media Muay Thai master is impressed with GSP's performance + Q&A

Levi_

Silver Belt
Reaction score

GSP thinks McGregor is the reason you see trash talk in MMA dialed up to 100 these days.

“I think what makes a fight more attractive it’s not only a question of skill,” GSP said. “Whether it’s in Muay Thai, martial arts, judo, or jiu-jitsu, I think it’s a question of emotion, and fights are promoted on emotion. A lot of people could disagree with me because they are purists. The reason why they watch a fight is to find out really who’s the best fighter, but most people they don’t watch a fight for the same reason as us. They watch a fight because, ‘Oh, this guy said this and he said this to him,’ so, they wanna see what’s gonna happen.”

“I think it’s the Conor McGregor effect, and Conor did a lot of great things for the sport because he brought the attention to a level that was never done before,” GSP said. “However, I believe if you wanna be attractive to an audience you need to stay authentic to who you are because if not, it shows.”

I agree.

Where do you guys think gsp would sit in the ww rankings if he had never retired? I think he'd have been dethroned but would still be in the top 5 and probably had at least 2 more title challenges to his name.

Where do you guys think gsp would sit in the ww rankings if he had never retired? I think he'd have been dethroned but would still be in the top 5 and probably had at least 2 more title challenges to his name.
Probably. Older GSP could still beat a good portion of these guys.

I like GSP but he always looks so slow and weak on the pads

I like his chances against Leon. I think he can pretty much decision him by blanketing him all 5 rounds. I'm not very fond of Leon if I'm being honest. If Colby wasn't so shot...he could have done it

At least two more.

I think he would have fought Hendricks smarter the second time around. I don't know how well Woodley would do against him, it would be close, but a focused GSP would win.

Although I think he would beat him, but a 2015 fight against Wonderboy would be interesting. I think GSP might try to stand with him, just to test the waters, which could lead to an exciting fight.

I like his chances against Leon. I think he can pretty much decision him by blanketing him all 5 rounds. I'm not very fond of Leon if I'm being honest. If Colby wasn't so shot...he could have done it
I'd have actually picked him over Lawler and Woodley via close decision but lose to Usman and id absolutely pick him over edwards.

GSP better shave his head to hide gray hair, instead of dyeing his hair with that cheap brown color that makes him look like a 50 year old who doesn't accept growing old

With that been said I love him

I like GSP but he always looks so slow and weak on the pads
His biggest weakness was a lack of explosiveness in his upper body despite being very explosive in his lower body.

I'd have actually picked him over Lawler and Woodley via close decision but lose to Usman and id absolutely pick him over edwards.
Woodley fight would not be close, it would look like Rory vs Woodley. Jabs and leg kicks while Woodley stands around doing nothing looking to land a big right hand.

I think he would’ve remained Champion for around 2-3 more fights, after the Big Rigg Fight.. would’ve loved to see him vs Lawler, but nonetheless, GSP is THE GOAT, so I wouldn’t be surprised for him to hold on to it for a lot longer than that. His Longevity is like no other. Even now in his 40’s, he looks as if he could get in a Training Camp and easily 50-45 Edwards, Belal, or Colby!

I hate those hypothetical scenarios though, because GSP did the absolute best thing many Dream of, Retire on TOP!! GOAT!!

Back