MS Paint is getting killed off by Microsoft - Update: It's been saved! Rejoice!

damnit I even use paint at work to turn visio files into .gif and such.

End of an era. Especially here on SD

ms-paint.jpg

They are a monopoly and don't care about what the general public wants.

I currently run a windows xp and 7 on pcs at home, plus a 10 on my laptop, and 7 at work.
MS Paint ain't going anywhere

Well let me ask you, seriously, have you ever used it for anything else? Like to accomplish any task that wasn't just fucking around?
Paint is awesome for screen captures.
Windows key + print screen. Open paint. Control + v.

I still use MS Paint at work. True story.

They can't just kill something off without replacing it. What are they going to replace paint with? As the guy above me mentioned screenshots. WTF are we going to use to edit screenshots now?

I didn't read the article, but can someone tell me if/what they plan to replace paint with? This is a serious issue!!! The consumer (us) should be able to vote on things like this!!

Well, we did it, in a manner of speaking.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/07/24/ms-paint-stay/#CXLs56VQSvyc5MgX.97

Today, we’ve seen an incredible outpouring of support and nostalgia around MS Paint. If there’s anything we learned, it’s that after 32 years, MS Paint has a lot of fans. It’s been amazing to see so much love for our trusty old app. Amidst today’s commentary around MS Paint we wanted to take this opportunity to set the record straight, clear up some confusion and share some good news:

MS Paint is here to stay, it will just have a new home soon, in the Windows Store where it will be available for free.

They can't just kill something off without replacing it. What are they going to replace paint with? As the guy above me mentioned screenshots. WTF are we going to use to edit screenshots now?

I didn't read the article, but can someone tell me if/what they plan to replace paint with? This is a serious issue!!! The consumer (us) should be able to vote on things like this!!
Windows comes with a small program called "Snipping Tool" search for it and it should be there. It saves print screening and pasting.

Publicity stunt. This is the New Coke of the digital age.

Publicity stunt. This is the New Coke of the digital age.

I really just think they are that stupid and petty. How would this help sales? How would it help anything?

New coke would at least have some people curious to try it. Deleting a well known, harmless and somewhat useful program doesn't even allow any generation of consumer interest/curiosity in microsoft or its product (there's nothing to try, unlike with new coke at least there was).

It's been shown over and over again that microsoft as a company likes to spite its customers with things they dont like. As a company, it acts like a spoiled rich brat born into a wealthy family whose only real want is to prove that its more important than everyone else by ruining things and pissing people off while it gets to stay in a position of power.

haha, MS bows to public pressure once again.
unlike the fuckheads in Apple, MS actually listens and cares what their customers think.

I really just think they are that stupid and petty. How would this help sales? How would it help anything?

New coke would at least have some people curious to try it. Deleting a well known, harmless and somewhat useful program doesn't even allow any generation of consumer interest/curiosity in microsoft or its product (there's nothing to try, unlike with new coke at least there was).

It's been shown over and over again that microsoft as a company likes to spite its customers with things they dont like. As a company, it acts like a spoiled rich brat born into a wealthy family whose only real want is to prove that its more important than everyone else by ruining things and pissing people off while it gets to stay in a position of power.
People are talking about it now. If it was a publicity stunt, then the stunt was a success.

Back