Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea there was a whole gang of guys with Drac! I was there and got my picture with Drac and even posted it in the blog. My only regret is that I didnt get to train with any of the guys :(

Ah, ok..I'm still on page 96 of this. This thread is something I always saw..but never really clicked on until I found out I was getting to go to Brazil.....after the first few pages I got hooked. I'm kind of glad it happened that way because I can read at my leisure and don't have to wait for a week to go buy to read more :p

My new goals in life are to finish school, join the marine corps, and now go to Brasil and obtain a black belt.

finally caught up. good luck with your quest gerbil

Last edited:
Congrats Gerbil with the engagement! Just saw the vid on FB.

Last edited:
Wow, people are probably ripping out their hair waiting for the update, waiting to find out what happened. Happy Birth Day Gerbil! Mine happened to be on the 6th, meaning it was Labor Day, kind of a weird holiday to have your birthday on.

Can't wait for the next post!

great advice you have on the process of cleaning gi, giving the fact of no dryers and it taking full 24 hours to dry

(Post 1/2)

It has been almost two weeks since I have trained and despite a lot of pleasant distractions, I have not lost sight of the overall goal of being in Brazil. Starting tomorrow I'm back to the regular training regiment. I have also made the decision to get strict on my diet, start taking some creatine, and get into better shape. The last time I took creatine was over 10 years ago and I've heard from a number of sources that they have refined the supplements so I'm looking forward to some positive results.

Although I did not get any training in during Megan's stay, I did get to enjoy a lot of the tourist attractions that Rio de Janeiro has to offer. I am not sure how I've missed every opportunity to go see the Christ statue over the 9 months that I've been here, but I used this to my advantage to plan a very special trip for Megan and I.

The plans were set in motion months ago when I sent an email to Megan's mother asking for permission to propose. Thankfully she gave her blessings and I proceeded to get some key people involved. I contacted my mother and Beth (one of Megan's friends that came to Brazil with her) to arrange for my grandmothers ring to be sized, cleaned and hand carried to Brazil. It provided a great surprise.

Needless to say, she was shocked. She didn

(Post 2/2)

As we watched the sun set we noticed a lot of people setting up stands by the beach. Much to our surprise we had decided to rest in the very place that the market was going to set up, it was dumb luck. After finishing our coconuts and other refreshments we took our time to go through the different vendors and we purchased some great souvenirs. I ended up buying four paintings for R$10 each. These were hand painted, on canvas, with the artist sitting right behind them. It absolutely blew my mind that he was selling these for R$10, now I have them hanging in my room to add a little life to the walls.

Speaking of art, many of my friends know that I have strong feelings about “tagging” and graffiti. I cant stand it, it drives me crazy, and I cant stand seeing beautiful buildings, national monuments and even mountains defaced by a ugly black smear. I've even gone as far as to speak out against graffiti and applaud harsh penalties for those who do it. I even took some flak from my friends when I celebrated a 17 year prison sentence for a 19 year old who got convicted of over 100 counts of graffiti...it made me smile.

With that being said, I make a distinction between when someone is trying to improve the appearance of a wall or building and when someone is trying to deface it. For the cases when people put hours in to spray paint a portrait, a mural or another piece of art, I'm absolutely blown away. There are a lot of examples of both tagging and art here in Rio. Some of the art is breath taking and skillful. I wish I had more pictures of this type of art, but sadly I mostly see it on the bus when speeding through rough areas. I was lucky enough to get a photo of one piece that I think depicts the difference between art and vandalism.

101_2301.jpg

I wish I had some training to talk about but due to the fact that I spent the last two week with my fiancee, I am at a loss. I will be training twice tomorrow and I will try to continue that pace throughout the week. My body is feeling better than it ever has and I cant remember the last time that I didn’t have any pain at all. I can literally get out of bed without having something hurt, ache or sting...it's kind of a nice feeling.

Just because I didn’t train doesn’t mean that I can not post the move for the week. That is one of the benefits of prerecording hundreds of techniques, even when I don’t have a chance to train I can still provide quality instruction.

This weeks technique continues to build off of the Leg Weave series and works well with last weeks knee over bicep control. I suggest repping this out because speed can be a factor as much as the hip movement and arm control. Next week will continue with the last of the techniques off of this series.

Although I did not have a chance to train, I did get to witness some great grappling moments after a night of the girls drinking. The girls were listening to some music next to the pool when Jack thought it would be funny to push Beth into the water. After the splash Jack went back into the house and disappeared for a few minutes fearing Beth's retaliation.

When Beth got out of the pool she jumped on Megan's back like a little spider monkey as she tried to coax her back to the pool. Evidently in her inebriated state Beth thought that Megan was the one who had pushed her into the pool. As the grappled around in the grass next to the pool I snapped a picture of Megan escaping back control.

SAM_1580.jpg

As you can see, Megan is a natural. With zero grappling training she knew to clear one of the hooks and start to get her back to the ground! If I had half the natural instinct that she has I would have been a black belt a long time ago. I think for Christmas I'll buy her a kimono, it will be one of those gifts that just as much for me as it is for her.

That brings this weeks blog to a close. I have more content to share but in the attempt to keep this blog at a readable length you will have to wait until next week.

Thanks for reading

The Gerbil.

thanks for the update - congrats on the engagement

Did NOT see that one coming! Best update in a long time, congratulations.

Yo Gerbil! Congrats man! Life is ten times better when you have the right person to share it with. After reading the blog religiously over the past few months it's been awesome to see the direction that your life is going. Good luck with all the training, the engagement, and everything else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back