Most Overrated "Great" Movies

Watchman. Zack Snyder is a hack and shouldnt be allowed to direct a movie ever.

Honestly I really enjoy that film, granted I'v never read the original so perhaps that might put a damper on it but in general I found it well made with very strong performances from Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Snyders style is obviously quite cartoonish but really I think he's a director who's as good as his material, he's not going to elevate a bad script but he's not going to spoil a good one.

No country for old men if you consider it great.

And Thor Ragnarok. 7/10 at the very best, IMO.

Oh and I would mention.John Wick, but I have to reserve judgement till I've seen it non-stoned.

Last edited:
I'll hear rebuttals on the latter two. But nothing could possibly polish the (coincidentally over-polished) turd that is The Departed.

Just for you, then, here are a few off the top of my head that I think are underrated and should be considered great movies

1. Moon
2. Sideways
3. Children of Men
4. Pi
5. Psycho II
6. 21 Grams
7. One Hour Photo
8. Barton Fink

Sideways was a steaming pile of shit.

It's a movie about two self loathing beta's drinking wine and whinging about their periods or whatever.

I don't even use the term beta but for christs sake the closest thing that movie got to a Y chromosome was Sandra Oh.

Reason? the ending?

No, just didn't thrill me at all. I had a better analysjs, but honestly it left so little impression on me that it's hard to pin point exactly what the problem was, now. The main character just didn't do it for me as he probably did for the people who love that movie.

Sideways was a steaming pile of shit.

It's a movie about two self loathing beta's drinking wine and whinging about their periods or whatever.

I don't even use the term beta but for christs sake the closest thing that movie got to a Y chromosome was Sandra Oh.

Might I recommend Withnail and I as an alternative drunken travel drama?

Godfather 2. Read all the books you will see why.

All lotr movies.

QT films. Even the ones i like are overrated as hell.

Daniel craig as bond.

Pacific rim.

All fast and furious movies.

I'm very easy to please and although I do like and own a version of Once Upon a Time in America, it does tend to be stilted and drawn out, not to mention the garbage truck scene with De Niro lol

I still haven't got around to seeing the very extended version.

Overall I don't understand how people can out and out hate most of the films listed here.

Self-explanatory. I just finished the (wildly disappointing) Godfather series, having not seen it in many years, and this topic came to mind.

1. The Departed
2. The Godfather: Part II
3. Fight Club

Frankly, the original Godfather may be slightly overrated on its own, but Godfather II is markedly less impressive because, whereas the original hung its hat on stellar performances by Brando, Pacino, and Duvall, in the sequel, Brando's character is dead, Pacino's portrayal becomes a caricature of itself, and Duvall gets fuck all for screen time.

The Departed is just all-around a shitty film with shitty performances. It's like if The Godfather were directed by a music video director. DiCaprio and Wahlberg always blow because they're not dynamic talents, but Damon and Nicholson are genuinely talented actors. Yet Damon's performance is as boring and cookie cutter as the film itself and Nicholson's is cartoonish, perhaps to make up for everyone else.

For Scorsese, Taxi Driver, Mean Streets, Cape Fear, Raging Bull, and The Last Temptation of Christ are all markedly better than The Departed, and probably all are better than Goodfellas.

For Fincher, Se7en and Gone Girl are certainly better than Fight Club.

Go.

I can see The Departed, I can see Fight Club, but when you're talking about Godfather 2 and Goodfellas being overrated... wow. You're talking about 2 absolute perfect masterpieces.

Hunger Games
Harry Potter
Inception
Interstellar
Nolan's Batman movies
Fight Club
Star Wars
Departed
Gangs of New York
Titanic

I'm very easy to please and although I do like and own a version of Once Upon a Time in America, it does tend to be stilted and drawn out, not to mention the garbage truck scene with De Niro lol

I still haven't got around to seeing the very extended version.

Overall I don't understand how people can out and out hate most of the films listed here.

Its probably been 20+ years since I saw the original US cut but I remember my feeling was that ironically that it felt more drawn out because it took out so many characterful moments. The directors preffered cut to me has a lot more to hold your interest along the way however long it is.

Anonynous Internet courage!

Honestly when you look long term rather than short terms studio/media hype then I do actually find relatively little in the way of beloved cinema that I seriously dislike. Its far more common for quality but less typical cinema to not be given its due than the other way around over a longer period.

Pépé le Moko 6/10
The Lady Eve 6/10
Anatomy of a Murder 6/10
The Leopard 6/10
The Man Who Fell to Earth 6/10
Ordinary People 6/10
The Towering Inferno 5/10
Iron Man 3 5/10
Force Awakens & Rogue One 5/10

(need to re-watch):

The African Queen 6/10
Dracula 6/10
Hiroshima Mon Amour 6/10
Reds 6/10

The Swedish film "The Square" is being touted as one of the years best and I kinda wanted to walk out (3/10). Nocturnal Animals/The Accountant/Bonehawk Tomahawk/Blue Ruin are recent ones I disliked

Back