Mosley: Prime DLH beats prime Mayweather

I think it's Oscar's inconsistency from switching trainers that makes it hard for people to have an open and shut case in this conversation. He switched trainers so much he never really got settled. He and a trainer never really got the chance to gel and see what could be done in the long run. I think that screwed Oscar worse than him running at legit peaking A+ level talent when they were at their best. Floyd was consistent, so there's always that, and Floyd always came on strong later in the fight. He's not a sprinter, he's a long distance kind of guy.

If we take Oscar at his physical and most ferocious - dialed in, I'd go to the 98-99 version - not the one that reeled it in against Trinidad. JCC and Quartey wins. Although those weren't his best wins, though they were good ones, he just looked savage and sharp. I think if that version got in the ring with the Floyd from their 2007 fight, he might pick up more of the earlier and middle rounds. Remember, you only need 7 to win a 12 round fight. While Floyd usually picks up more rounds than he loses in the last third of the fight, ODLH might get going and make Floyd have to fight out of a real deficit. That version of Oscar I am drawing your attention to was a destroyer with his jab, too.

So, going back, Floyd is a more reliable pick because of his consistency, but if we are talking the best version of Oscar, turning up for one night, we have a real problem for Floyd. We usually see the best version of Floyd, so that is a constant. His dedication is admirable. But Oscar, while brimming with talent, just couldn't regulate and maintain.

I totally see the arguments in Mayweather's favour, but during these hypothetical chats, all you need to consider is the best possible version of the fighter at that designated time in his career. The more you do that, the more you see how close a lot of these fights get.
I have to admit, everytime I watch that first ODLH - Mosley fight or the Quartey fight Im like, "THAT dude right there would be real smoke for Floyd!" so yeah in a way Im with you on that.

What are you talking about??!!! Oscar and Floyd were both Welterweights in their prime. Don't bring guys that never fought in the division into this discussion. Now if you're talking equal size with same skill, then ok Floyd and RJJ is a very close interesting fight, but RJJ would be too much. GGG gets schooled badly, if they were all the same size. But that's not this discussion.
No I brought it up because Floyd fought Canelo and beat him fairly handily. And then Canelo fought GGG and it was a close fight. I used to think that Floyd vs. GGG would be a bridge too far because GGG would be too big for Floyd, but seeing as Floyd did so well against Canelo then maybe he'd have a shot at beating GGG.

Prime Oscar was 2 weight classes above prime floyd.

That said I think if they fought at a catch weight I'd pick oscar, but that doesn't make him better. He just matches up well. Floyd is an all around better fighter.

floyd looked nervous to relent his defense in that fight at times. I always thought he was concerned about the almost 20 pound weight difference in the dela hoya fight. Floyd only weighed 150 that night.

if dela fought floyd at his comfortable weight where he would even be faster, he would beat him worse

No I brought it up because Floyd fought Canelo and beat him fairly handily. And then Canelo fought GGG and it was a close fight. I used to think that Floyd vs. GGG would be a bridge too far because GGG would be too big for Floyd, but seeing as Floyd did so well against Canelo then maybe he'd have a shot at beating GGG.
Floyd would beat GGG. Not today, but 4-5 yrs ago no doubt.

Floyd would beat GGG. Not today, but 4-5 yrs ago no doubt.
So my question to you is, how big is too big for Floyd to overcome. If it's not the best MW in the world, is it a SMW? or up to LHW?

Too much size/power.
Eh, Floyd's a tough guy, he wouldn't get hit clean and he would do enough to out point him. Power isnt really an issue, Floyd's fought plenty of guys with power, (and don't say, "but not GGG type power"). It's all relative, he wouldn't be around long enough to get hurt.
It would have to be a big guy with a reach advantage, Floyd 183cm, Golovkin 179cm, this ain't it.

Last edited:
So my question to you is, how big is too big for Floyd to overcome. If it's not the best MW in the world, is it a SMW? or up to LHW?
Obviously there's a too big to be affected by Floyd's punches issue above MW.
LHW, HW would walk through through him and bludgeon him turtled up in the shell, but that's not the issue here.
It's match-ups, not size in that realm 147 - 160 lbs. Danny Jacobs is a bigger problem for Floyd than Golovkin would be. Remember if GGG was getting pieced up by Kell Brook, he'd get pieced up by Floyd and shut down with far far superior defense. Everybody that didnt like Floyd's boxing style before would really hate it after that fight. Massive clinching, holding, pot-shotting, on his bicycle all night sneaking punches on GGG to his frustration. Floyd's too smart.

Eh, Floyd's a tough guy, he wouldn't get hit clean and he would do enough to out point him. Power isnt really an issue, Floyd's fought plenty of guys with power, (and don't say, "but not GGG type power"). It's all relative, he wouldn't be around long enough to get hurt.
It would have to be a big guy with a reach advantage, Floyd 183cm, Golovkin 179cm, this ain't it.
Really underselling Golovkin’s abilities. He isnt just some puncher.

Really underselling Golovkin’s abilities. He isnt just some puncher.
YOU said too much power....Power isnt what is gonna beat Floyd, you know that.
Or do you?

Lol. Because lesser fighters never landed on Floyd right.
dsc_28751.jpg

YOU said too much power....Power isnt what is gonna beat Floyd, you know that.
Or do you?
Uhh. Yes. Golovkin has power and is a damn good fighter. Hence why his power would matter.
Go back and watch GGG get smacked up by a bum named Kell Brook.
Smacked up as Golovkin walked through him....? Gotcha. In fact, that fight actually speaks to my point more than yours. Brook is a very talented fighter, and if the sizes were closer he could have given Golovkin a hell of a fight. But, given the size and power differences Golovkin was able to go full seek and destroy mode. Would it take longer to get to Floyd? Of course. Would he get there? Absolutely.

Now then, go back and watch a shell of himself Mosley knock the dog shit out of Floyd. Go watch Maidana’s right hand knock him backwards half way across the ring. Go watch Corley buckle his legs.

Lets stop pretending Floyd has never been hit now.

I thought Floyd looked near invincible at feather and super feather, but everything above that is definitely up for debate.

My only gripe against a younger De la Hoya, is he had a very hard time finding his comfort zone. He didn’t know whether to be a pure boxer, or a boxer\puncher.

I think it’d be a hard to score fight, with Floyd pulling a majority decision, but it could go either way.

Go back and watch GGG get smacked up by a bum named Kell Brook.

Huh?

I think you found a new way to make every word wrong in a sentence.

Where was the smack up?

How is Brook a bum?

Where's your world title, champ?

Back