Movies MORTAL KOMBAT 2021 (Premieres April 23, 2021)

If you have seen MORTAL KOMBAT (2021), how would you rate it?

• Total voters
I feel that original Mortal Kombat movie is pretty easily one of the best video game to film adaptations out there. It's a low bar but that's actually pretty damn entertaining despite its flaws. That, Silent Hill, Vikander's Tomb Raider strikes me as among the best. And it's a short list.

Update: July 9, 2019

The Raid Actor Joe Taslim Cast as Sub-Zero in New Line's MORTAL KOMBAT

aZ3rrah.jpg

New Line's Mortal Kombat movie has found its Sub-Zero. Actor and martial artist Joe Taslim will be playing the superpowered fighter in the live-action adaptation of the video game.

James Wan and his Atomic Monster banner are producing the movie, which will be the feature debut of veteran commercial director Simon McQuoid. Todd Garner will also produce, with Larry Kasanoff, E. Bennett Walsh, Michael Clear and Sean Robins executive producing.

While the plot of the movie remains unknown, the video game centers on a massive roster of character fighters from different realms in a fictional universe battling for supremacy. Greg Russo penned the current version of the screenplay.

First released in 1992, Mortal Kombat has sold over 49 million copies, spanning over a dozen canon games and expansions, making it one of the most profitable video game franchise of all time. Mortal Kombat 11 was released in April and has become the most successful launch in franchise history.

The game was previously adapted into a movie in 1995 from director Paul W. S. Anderson that went on to gross an impressive $122 million at the worldwide box office. It was then followed by 1997's Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

Sub-Zero was one of the original characters featured in the 1992 game and is known for his attacks involving ice. He has a long-running rivalry with similarly garbed fellow kombatant Scorpion.

Taslim's is the first deal to close for Mortal Kombat, which is set to shoot in southern Australia later this year.

An alum of Indonesia's national Judo team, Taslim made his acting debut in cult action film The Raid. His other feature credits include Fast & Furious 6, Star Trek Beyond and recent Netflix feature The Night Comes for Us. Taslim can be currently seen in the Cinemax Bruce Lee series Warrior.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...-taslim-play-zero-mortal-kombat-movie-1222984

Is it R? Not interested otherwise.

Not bad. Sub Zero doesn't really need much in the way of personality, just a bad ass attitude and martial arts skills. Taslim showed exactly that in Warrior.
Speaking of, the lead from Warrior (Andrew Koji) would have been a pretty solid pick for Liu Kang. The right blend of swagger and bad-ass. It will be hard for them to consider him now that Taslim is cast as Sub-Zero, otherwise they are just making Warrior: The Movie
Lotta people arguing about the lead needing to look Chinese, instead of east-asian or SE-asian. This movie is for westerners, i don't think many will know or care if the guy looks ethnically Japanese or Korean, lol.

Andrew Koji:

Andrew-Koji-Warrior.jpeg

Although both Sub zero's have Chinese names, they were abducted by the Lin Kuei as toddlers/infants. Who knows what part of East Asia they came from originally, so it works out. I just hope they follow the story line better than MK1 (which was still good btw).

The casting of the 1995 movie was pretty good - especially Shang Sung, Liu Kang, and Kitana:

talisa-soto.jpg

I miss the 90s...

Not bad. Sub Zero doesn't really need much in the way of personality, just a bad ass attitude and martial arts skills. Taslim showed exactly that in Warrior.
Speaking of, the lead from Warrior (Andrew Koji) would have been a pretty solid pick for Liu Kang. The right blend of swagger and bad-ass. It will be hard for them to consider him now that Taslim is cast as Sub-Zero, otherwise they are just making Warrior: The Movie
Lotta people arguing about the lead needing to look Chinese, instead of east-asian or SE-asian. This movie is for westerners, i don't think many will know or care if the guy looks ethnically Japanese or Korean, lol.

Andrew Koji:

Andrew-Koji-Warrior.jpeg

I would love a Cowboy Bebop adaptation with Koji as Spike.

The first MK movie still holds up well and is awesome. I am all for this reboot, as the video game series has continued for quite a while and makes sense. It isn't some out of nowhere reboot that isn't wanted. Plus, as long as the action/fighting is good enough, the story can be a bit more meh in this genre, similar to kung-fu movies. Can be super simple plot, so long as the action hits the spot.

I feel that original Mortal Kombat movie is pretty easily one of the best video game to film adaptations out there. It's a low bar but that's actually pretty damn entertaining despite its flaws. That, Silent Hill, Vikander's Tomb Raider strikes me as among the best. And it's a short list.
Warcraft was better than those IMO

If you haven't seen Joe Taslim in 'the night comes for us', you should definitely watch it. Makes the fights from 'the raid' looks like kids playfighting.

jai courtney is johnny cage? thats fucking stupid, captain fucking boomerang?

@Dragonlordxxxxx don't you usually do threads with your preferred casting choices in them? This could be a good one for that.

Imo Johnny Cage has to be someone like Chris Pratt or Ryan Reynolds. They're just made for that part.

Winston Duke could be a solid pick for Jax.

I'm sure Patrick Wilson will be in it because he's in everything James Wan does. I don't know what part he'd fit though.

Jason Statham as Kano could be awesome, even though Kano is an Aussie. I feel like that could be changed without much controversy though.

It would be interesting to see if James Wan could get Jason Momoa on board after working with him on Aquaman as well. Not sure what role would be good for him though.

Back