Monthly where is Ben Askren thread

Yeah were talking about his fighting career. Not how much he makes.

Yeah, money has nothing to do with being a professional fighter. Rankings, though? Now that's what it's all about.

Askren got a great deal from One FC at a time where he really didn't have any other options, good for him.

But this is exactly the fallout from it when you fight on the other side of the world twice a year for an org that can barely even get a news story on MMA sites. Then going on a UFC bashing run more or less isn't helping his cause at all. Smart move might have been to swallow his pride a little and go take few great pay out days in one off fights for an org or two. Then after a year see what the UFC's offer would've been. Chances are he would've been fighting in the UFC for the last few years. I'm pretty sure he isn't to happy only fighting 3 time since Aug of 2013. I remember when signed he sounded like he get 3 to 4 matches a year very easily with One FC. If he really wanted I won't doubt One FC would let him out of his contract. I can't believe Askren puts butts in the seats in One FC and he has to be one of if not the highest paid fighter. But the flip side is he bashes the biggest player in the game repeatedly so he has hard time even seening his worth. Either way I don't see Askren doing that well in the UFC.

Kind of a bummer now that he didn't stick around in Bellator. We'd be getting ready for Askren vs Bendo.

I was a fan of the move to ONE. It seemed like the smart business move to me at the time. Their inability to keep him active though makes the deal less actractive in hindsight. If they would have got him more fights he would have came out of this amazing.

oh man it will be a good fight is Svirid drops down.

Since Sapo missed weight and later refused to make 190 on the day of the fight, leading to Ben-Sapo II's cancellation, Sapo's been given one more chance to make weight before he gets another shot at the title. , assuming Sapo makes weight, wins, and makes a quick turnaround, he could be fighting again in April or May. In the interim, however, Asukuren's been left without a challenger lined up.

ONE's signed a few welterweights over the last few months-- Nikolay Aleksakhin, Kim Dae-Ryeong and Djatmiko Waluyo, and Igor Svirid expressed interest last year in dropping down a division to fight Ben, so, assuming Sapo doesn't make a quick turnaround and ONE doesn't bring someone else in to fight him, there are some options for him just within ONE's current borders. Those guys are all investments, though, and Svirids coming off a loss, so it would be premature to give them to Askren yet, and either way, they'd probably bring somebody in to fight Ben if they can't put the Santos rematch together around by April or May.

I see Silva, Sapo's next opponents, last fight was at 185. Are Sapo and Santos going to be able to make 185lbs with the new weight rules? I can't picture Santos being able to make 185lbs with the new rules if he wouldn't even agree to weigh under 190lbs last time around. I'm already disgusted just imaginign Sapo pretending to not understand the new weight rules. I'm also irritated to see the bum get a fight/paycheck lined up before Askren.

That's because you have a terrible sense of humor, clearly.
Actually, I don't. I think Larry David is hilarious. Ben Askren, not so much. However if your a fan of his, I can see how you would define his envy of UFC fighters and attempts at mockery of them "hilarious."

Actually, I don't. I think Larry David is hilarious. Ben Askren, not so much. However if your a fan of his, I can see how you would define his envy of UFC fighters and attempts at mockery of them "hilarious."

See, the fact that you need to compare a professional comedian's humor and A fighters humor in order to measure sense of humor is hilarious.

I like michael Jordan. that doesn't mean I'm good at basketball. hopefully one day you will look back on this thread and feel shame.

I see Silva, Sapo's next opponents, last fight was at 185. Are Sapo and Santos going to be able to make 185lbs with the new weight rules? I can't picture Santos being able to make 185lbs with the new rules if he wouldn't even agree to weigh under 190lbs last time around. I'm already disgusted just imaginign Sapo pretending to not understand the new weight rules. I'm also irritated to see the bum get a fight/paycheck lined up before Askren.

Silva normally walks around at, like, 185-190, so he probably won't have problems. He weighed in at 187 for a 195-lb catchweight fight in ONE against Michal Pasternack. Sapo may have issues, but he knows what's at stake this time, so he'll probably just diet and lay off the creatine to drop 10 pounds. Or maybe he'll fail the dehydration test; that'll be funny.
And Asukuren not getting a fight sooner isn't that unexpected. Their first four cards in 2016 are in China, Malaysia, Indonesia, and Burma. China's one thing, since they're trying to do big things in China and putting big fights on 'em helps with that, but Bibi was put on that card instead, and with the other cards they typically put in contenders matches and local stars and stuff (Aung La N Sang's pretty much been confirmed for the Burma main-event.) Sapo fits into that trend, considering they outright said he has to earn a title shot again, and he adds some nice bulk to an Indonesia card. Askren's the kind of guy they save for Singapore and Manila.

Or maybe he'll fail the dehydration test; that'll be funny.

Askren's the kind of guy they save for Singapore and Manila.

I'm fully expecting him to fail a dehydration test.

Any dates for when those shows would be? Olympic Trials are the weekend of April 10th so i'm hoping he doesn't have to skip them looking forward to running into him there.

Kind of a bummer now that he didn't stick around in Bellator. We'd be getting ready for Askren vs Bendo.
Bellator released him, so it's not like he could have stuck around if he wanted to.

Bellator released him, so it's not like he could have stuck around if he wanted to.

That just isn't true. They weren't eager to resign him, especially after Askren made it very clear he wanted to leave for the UFC but he wasn't released.
At Askrens request they released "matching rights" with the UFC because he thought it'd make it more likely that they'd give an offer if they didn't have to worry about "losing" him if Bellator matched their offer. Bjorn liked Ben and told him it was a dumb move and that he was giving up his negotiation leverage by requesting that they release his matching rights; Ben decided to roll the dice regardless and as a result ended up with ONE.

He could have still fought in Bellator but it would have been for less money than ONE offered; plus it would have been one of those awkward "I just broke up with you... just kidding take me back?" moments so it was in all parties best interest to just move on.

Last edited:
I know it's cool to hate Askren but I like the guy. MMA needs its heels.

Askren v Paul Harris in 1C, winner of that should fight the winner of Koreshkov v Bendo in Rizin.

Back