Molecular biology and evolution

no arguments, finger pointing, bold claims. Good stuff

Read the links.

Not that id expect the sherdog anti science nutballs to accept it.

IC is bullshit and not accepted by the scientific community. Behe is just selling Intelligent Design which is just a way of weaseling in Creationism.

Behe is a prof at a Christian university which is no surprise.

Read the links provided. It's Creationism pretending to be science. Perfect for the sherdog crowd i guess

Behe is a prof at a Christian university which is no surprise.

From Wiki

He received his PhD in biochemistry at the University of Pennsylvania in 1978 for his dissertation research on sickle-cell disease. From 1978 to 1982, he did postdoctoral work on DNA structure at the National Institutes of Health. From 1982 to 1985, he was assistant professor of chemistry at Queens College in New York City

If that's anti-science and christian, count me in.

Instead of attacking the person behind a book/debate maybe you could read some recent articles on the RM+NS myth.

disclaimer: I don't think the earth is flat, I believe in evolution but not in neo-darwinism.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v485/n7396/full/nature10995.html

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/27910/title/Are-mutations-truly-random-/

Last edited:
You can't have a discussion about Behes writings without accepting he's a Christian creationist, working for a Christian university pushing intelligent design bullshit which has been debunked and is not accepted by mainstream science, for good reason. He's not intellectually honest. His goal is not to find the truth but rather to push his Christian motivated ideas.

The vast majority of scientists regard Behe's positions on intelligent design as pseudoscience. Even his Christian University Department of Biological has seen fit to prominently dissociate itself from Behe's ID writings.

Let me ask you: do you believe that Intelligent Design is true? That an intelligent being is guiding evolution or something to that effect (which is what Behe thinks)

I've spent way too much time on forums debating Creationism and it is an exercise in futility. I'm not doing it here.

I don't know who this Behe is and I haven't read this book so I don't know if TS is correctly representing what is written therein.

That being said, the OP is presenting a false equivalency. Evolution through natural selection is predicated on the concept of genetic variability within a given population. The selective pressures of a given environment would then favor the survival of a specific trait. And there are very specific molecular mechanisms in place to ensure that there is a genetic variety within a population. These are things like exon shuffling, transposable elements, differential splicing, and even alternative polyadenylation that work to ensure that there is a diverse population of genes being expressed. These mechanisms are not nearly as widespread and utilized in prokaryotic organisms such as E. Coli or the plasmodiums. It is, in a sense, comparing apples to elephants.

Frankly, I've never understood why bible-thumpers are so resistant to evolution. You could make the argument that evolution itself is evidence of intelligent design. The environment is constantly changing and if life didn't have the ability to adapt to those changes, it would cease to exist pretty goddamn quick. Seems to me that an intelligent designer would make sure that life would have those molecular mechanisms in place to ensure that it could survive a changing environment.

You can't have a discussion about Behes writings without accepting he's a Christian creationist, working for a Christian university pushing intelligent design bullshit which has been debunked and is not accepted by mainstream science, for good reason. He's not intellectually honest. His goal is not to find the truth but rather to push his Christian motivated ideas.

The vast majority of scientists regard Behe's positions on intelligent design as pseudoscience. Even his Christian University Department of Biological has seen fit to prominently dissociate itself from Behe's ID writings.

Let me ask you: do you believe that Intelligent Design is true? That an intelligent being is guiding evolution or something to that effect (which is what Behe thinks)

I've spent way too much time on forums debating Creationism and it is an exercise in futility. I'm not doing it here.

If Behe's work is considered pseudoscience, why did he obtain a PhD? After all much of his book is based on his own research with sickle cell disease and malaria. He may be wrong about certain things, just like Darwin or anyone else for that matter, but let's not toss his entire work for the sake of dogma. The man researched microorganisms longer than you've been alive and some of his findings have been confirmed by concurrent or independent studies. Don't believe me? Here's one:

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v485/n7396/full/nature10995.html said:
Upon comparing 34 Escherichia coli genomes, we observe that the neutral mutation rate varies by more than an order of magnitude across 2,659 genes, with mutational hot and cold spots spanning several kilobases. Importantly, the variation is not random: we detect a lower rate in highly expressed genes and in those undergoing stronger purifying selection. Our observations suggest that the mutation rate has been evolutionarily optimized to reduce the risk of deleterious mutations. Current knowledge of factors influencing the mutation rate—including transcription-coupled repair and context-dependent mutagenesis—do not explain these observations, indicating that additional mechanisms must be involved. The findings have important implications for our understanding of evolution and the control of mutations.

This goes directly in line with Behe's conclusion, that random mutation is a destructive process and that whatever beneficial changes occur, they cannot be random. I'm sorry to say but the only thing random here and out of place are your attacks against Dr. Behe.

Second salient incongruency with darwinian evolution is... it's just not possible statistically. Malaria for example is treated with a drug called chloroquine, among others. Not long ago, malaria developed resistance to chloroquine and the change occured in two amino acids, nothing to scoff at. This seemingly small change took 10^20 copies to occur. There were less humans (including descendants since they branched off from apes) on Earth, yet the mutations we endured are beyond imagination.

This isn't a very good example. The P. fulciparum parasite that is associated with chloroquine-resistant malaria already possessed the ability to export cloroquinine from inside to the outside of the parasite, the evolutionary pressure selected for variants that were able to export at a rate to keep the intracellular drug levels at a tolerably low level. This process is not simple, as drug therapy has an extremely negative effect on the parasite survival which means it takes time to come across sufficient parasites that can survive under such negative conditions. The same thing has been observed essentially in real time with HIV drug resistance, except HIV's copy error rate is extremely high so it can adapt very fast. Its evolution in action, observable to all. Animal populations that are under such harsh conditions for survival will struggle to evolve due to lower DNA replication error rates, organism complexity and longer breeding times, they tend to go extinct. There's a reason we don't see any T Rex's walking around these days. Animals tend not suffer mass-extinction events though, so onwards we march, changing to suit our environment slowly but surely.

All these basic challenges to evolution theory are very old and have been examined from every possible angle already, there's nothing interesting here.

If Behe's work is considered pseudoscience, why did he obtain a PhD? After all much of his book is based on his own research with sickle cell disease and malaria. He may be wrong about certain things, just like Darwin or anyone else for that matter, but let's not toss his entire work for the sake of dogma. The man researched microorganisms longer than you've been alive and some of his findings have been confirmed by concurrent or independent studies. Don't believe me? Here's one:

Well I have a science PhD as well, so going off this logic you're gonna have to listen to me too.

I don't know who this Behe is and I haven't read this book so I don't know if TS is correctly representing what is written therein.

That being said, the OP is presenting a false equivalency. Evolution through natural selection is predicated on the concept of genetic variability within a given population. The selective pressures of a given environment would then favor the survival of a specific trait. And there are very specific molecular mechanisms in place to ensure that there is a genetic variety within a population. These are things like exon shuffling, transposable elements, differential splicing, and even alternative polyadenylation that work to ensure that there is a diverse population of genes being expressed. These mechanisms are not nearly as widespread and utilized in prokaryotic organisms such as E. Coli or the plasmodiums. It is, in a sense, comparing apples to elephants.

Frankly, I've never understood why bible-thumpers are so resistant to evolution. You could make the argument that evolution itself is evidence of intelligent design. The environment is constantly changing and if life didn't have the ability to adapt to those changes, it would cease to exist pretty goddamn quick. Seems to me that an intelligent designer would make sure that life would have those molecular mechanisms in place to ensure that it could survive a changing environment.

Thank you for the clarification, but the bible-thumper reference was not needed. I don't own a bible and I don't believe that will change in the foreseeable future. However, you seem to agree with me that evolution via natural selection presupposes that life already was in some sense, otherwise mutation and natural selection would have nothing to work with, right? I believe the mechanisms you've mentioned and some others are good examples of irreducibly complex systems that had to be already in place for life to propagate itself beyond the first life form.

This isn't a very good example. The P. fulciparum parasite that is associated with chloroquine-resistant malaria already possessed the ability to export cloroquinine from inside to the outside of the parasite, the evolutionary pressure selected for variants that were able to export at a rate to keep the intracellular drug levels at a tolerably low level. This process is not simple, as drug therapy has an extremely negative effect on the parasite survival which means it takes time to come across sufficient parasites that can survive under such negative conditions. The same thing has been observed essentially in real time with HIV drug resistance, except HIV's copy error rate is extremely high so it can adapt very fast. Its evolution in action, observable to all. Animal populations that are under such harsh conditions for survival will struggle to evolve due to lower DNA replication error rates, organism complexity and longer breeding times, they tend to go extinct. There's a reason we don't see any T Rex's walking around these days. Animals tend not suffer mass-extinction events though, so onwards we march, changing to suit our environment slowly but surely.

All these basic challenges to evolution theory are very old and have been examined from every possible angle already, there's nothing interesting here.

That's another point Behe attempted to make, that the evolution of malaria and other microorganisms is limited by its own cell machinery that is already in place. As you said, malaria could already dispose of chloroquine, just not at a sufficient rate.

That's another point Behe attempted to make, that the evolution of malaria and other microorganisms is limited by its own cell machinery that is already in place. As you said, malaria could already dispose of chloroquine, just not at a sufficient rate.

Poor example again, as drug-resistance can be transferred between different species of bacteria by a process known as horizontal gene transfer. DNA from one bacteria is transferred to another and this incorporated into the bacteria's genome to add cellular functions that it did not possess before. This is the processes of how S aureus became methicillin-resistant S aureus (MSRA).

Poor example again, as drug-resistance can be transferred between different species of bacteria by a process known as horizontal gene transfer. DNA from one bacteria is transferred to another and this incorporated into the bacteria's genome to add cellular functions that it did not possess before. This is the processes of how S aureus became methicillin-resistant S aureus (MSRA).

Just to be clear, everything you said above goes against the tenets of Darwinism, ie. vertical gene transfer.

Just to be clear, everything you said above goes against the tenets of Darwinism, ie. vertical gene transfer.

You're acting as if evolutionary biologists have never heard of vertical gene transfer. All this stuff is well understood and known to all. There's another type of gene transfer that exists is eukaryotes - sexual reproduction. Really this is not complicated and has been considered for a 140 years, this bozo isn't breaking any new ground here and only sounds compelling to anyone who little background in evolutionary biology.

Last edited:
You're acting as if evolutionary biologists have never heard of vertical gene transfer. All this stuff is well understood and known to all. There's another type of gene transfer that exists is eukaryotes - sexual reproduction. Really this is not complicated and has been considered for a 140 years, this bozo isn't breaking any new ground here and only sounds compelling to anyone who little knowledge in evolutionary biology.

Since you seem to be well versed in evolutionary biology, could you please explain to a bozo like me how mutation, natural selection and every other biological mechanism works without life? Life had to precede all these processes for them to act on it. Unless you somehow believe that atoms bonded together at random creating complex cell machinery until it allowed it to reproduce. Enlighten us with your knowledge sir

By bozo I mean Behe. I don't know how life started, thats beyond the scope of my expertise. If someone wants to say "god created the first life form", well, I can't argue with that. I don't pretend to know everything, but I do know the evidence behind evolution is overwhelming and the only way to describe the biological world around us.

If Behe's work is considered pseudoscience, why did he obtain a PhD? After all much of his book is based on his own research with sickle cell disease and malaria. He may be wrong about certain things, just like Darwin or anyone else for that matter, but let's not toss his entire work for the sake of dogma. The man researched microorganisms longer than you've been alive and some of his findings have been confirmed by concurrent or independent studies.

It is considered pseudoscientific nonsense. Having a PhD doesn't make all one's future output valid. Why doesn't Behe have loads of published papers on these ideas supporting ID like the people whose work he criticises? No, he'd rather stick it all in a book. Major red flags. It's not just me, it's the scientific community - the experts in this field - who dismiss these ideas. Why are you choosing to believe him rather than them and the enormous body of work published in peer reviewed journals?

I asked you if you were a believer in Intelligent Design, a question you maybe forgot to answer? The reason I ask, and am still asking, is because I want to know if I dealing with an ID proponent coming on here to attempting to prove ID is a real thing. Or whether you're a genuinely intellectually interested individual who has stumbled on that book thinking it's a genuine scholarly work on Evolution.....which it isn't. I already have you a link to probably the best site on the internet for discussions about such things www.talkorigins.org.

In this particular book he's attempted to backtrack a bit from his tired old "oh that's pretty complex, nature couldn't do that" Irreducible Complexity schtick (because it's been destroyed already). He's now admitting Common Descent and trying to prove god, The Designer, leaves his footprints in more subtle arguments, now retreating to mutation as the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in Evolution's armour. Although really it's the same old thing.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v485/n7396/full/nature10995.html said:
This goes directly in line with Behe's conclusion, that random mutation is a destructive process and that whatever beneficial changes occur, they cannot be random.

No it doesn't. But this paper is very commonly quoted on creationism sites which is interesting. That paper shows that bacteria have evolved a mechanism that protects important genes from random mutation, effectively reducing the risk of self-destruction. It does not show that random mutation is a destructive process and that whatever beneficial changes occur, they cannot be random. The author Luscombe states: “We discovered that there must be a molecular mechanism that preferentially protects certain areas of the genome over others". But creationists seize on the title of the paper has some sort of evidence that mutations are non random (and therefore guided by god).

[
I'm sorry to say but the only thing random here and out of place are your attacks against Dr. Behe.

No just like the Selection part of evolution, my attacks against Behe are not random. They are directed and very relevant. He's not a good source of scientific evidence. He's a religiously motivate man who has dedicated his life to trying to convinced people that god is making evolution happen.by writing paperbacks rather than publishing scientific papers on these theories and subjecting them to proper scientific scrutiny. Scientists have however taken the time to read and critique the ideas and they're shown to be incorrect.

Let's look at his claims pertaining to Malaria. He says that sickle cells are a "destructive mutation" in that they damage existing genes rather than creating a new structure. This is essentially the old creationist argument that evolution supposedly cannot create new information but argued on a molecular level. But we know this isn't true and just because humans haven't developed a better, more positive set of mutations to combat malaria doesn't mean anything. Humans haven't died out due to this single example of not evolving in the manner he thinks we should. Evolutionary theory does not make such a prediction and therefore is not broken by it not happening.

He then goes on to say that he has a problem with adaptions which rely on more than one mutation. He thinks that if the first mutuation doesn't provide an advantage then it can't stick around and therefore they must happen together, does a bit of dodgy maths, and concludes it's too unlikely to happen. His example is chloroquine resistance which "requires two mutations"

He's wrong. Firstly there IS evidence that malaria developed just one of these genes for chloroquine resistance. We have found strains of malaria parasites with just one of them (both, individually, in fact) so that example instantly becomes useless. He picked a bad one. But even if we didn't have prima facia evidence of the step-by-step mutations required, it's still a bad argument. The fact of the matter is that mutations that confer no benefit occur all the time. Neutral mutations can occur and sit around in the genome for long periods only to be used by a second mutation later. Genetic drift alone provide a mechanism for this.

A second mechanism is that the first mutation can confer a very small advantage and then join up with latter mutations.

And another explanation is by change of original use. I.e. a mutation can occur and confer a DIFFERENT benefit and then later on be co-opted into being used, in conjunction with later mututions, for an entirely new use. It then becomes somewhat difficult to imagine how these multiple mutations "all happened at once to create such a complex solution" - well apparently impossible for Behe, but not for most evolutionary scientists out there. There are other, more complex mechanism but just these are enough to show that his argument from incredulity (which is all this is at the end of the day) is erroneous.

This is just his Irreducible Complexity argument taken to the genetic level, and it's still wrong. He looks at the starting and end positions and concludes you cannot get there from there. He doesn't take into account all the evidence showing us perfectly good rational explanations of how these things can happen due to the selective pressures on random mutations.

There are many complex and interesting arguments being had, by genuine evolutionary scientists, about the exact mechanisms at work in evolution. It's endlessly complex and we are developing new ideas all the time. Who knows what we'll discover in the future, but Behe's dogmatic arguments from incredulity don't add much to the mix.

Dawkins does a pointed review of this trash: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/books/review/Dawkins-t.html

If you are genuinely interested in the molecular evidence of evolution then the Evolution 101 Podcast https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/evolution-101/id121787620?mt=2 is good. Dr Zach has a Phd in molcular biology. He covers these sorts of arguments pretty well.

Last edited:

This goes directly in line with Behe's conclusion, that random mutation is a destructive process and that whatever beneficial changes occur, they cannot be random. I'm sorry to say but the only thing random here and out of place are your attacks against Dr. Behe.

Yes, he's a real scientist. Ok. that doesn't mean intelligent design is true just because he endorses it.There's no evidence some greater intelligence is guiding evolution. Successful organisms are not evidence. What then do we make of the vast majority of organisms that have ever existed and are now extinct? Why didn't the designer make sure those organisms survived too? The system is a patchwork. Whether that patchwork is guided by something or is entirely random, we do not know.

Last edited:
Since you seem to be well versed in evolutionary biology, could you please explain to a bozo like me how mutation, natural selection and every other biological mechanism works without life? Life had to precede all these processes for them to act on it. Unless you somehow believe that atoms bonded together at random creating complex cell machinery until it allowed it to reproduce. Enlighten us with your knowledge sir

Nobody knows the origin of life. There are various guesses, but we're talking about a series of events that happened billions of years ago. There are many theories, but it's beyond the scope of our current knowledge.

What false equivalency? Isn't the general consensus that life evolved from bacterial cells? Then it makes perfect sense to study E. Coli or some other bacteria. Thus, Behe is not really comparing apples to elephants, but rather he asks how apples became elephants without the random joker card. As for malaria, last time I checked plasmodiums are eukaryotic cells, such as the ones that compose the majority of life on earth (plants, animals, dinosaurs, etc.) What's misrepresenting about this?

It is considered pseudoscientific nonsense. Having a PhD doesn't make all one's future output valid. Why doesn't Behe have loads of published papers on these ideas supporting ID like the people whose work he criticises? No, he'd rather stick it all in a book. Major red flags. It's not just me, it's the scientific community - the experts in this field - who dismiss these ideas. Why are you choosing to believe him rather than them and the enormous body of work published in peer reviewed journals?

I asked you if you were a believer in Intelligent Design, a question you maybe forgot to answer? The reason I ask, and am still asking, is because I want to know if I dealing with an ID proponent coming on here to attempting to prove ID is a real thing. Or whether you're a genuinely intellectually interested individual who has stumbled on that book thinking it's a genuine scholarly work on Evolution.....which it isn't. I already have you a link to probably the best site on the internet for discussions about such things www.talkorigins.org.

In this particular book he's attempted to backtrack a bit from his tired old "oh that's pretty complex, nature couldn't do that" Irreducible Complexity schtick (because it's been destroyed already). He's now admitting Common Descent and trying to prove god, The Designer, leaves his footprints in more subtle arguments, now retreating to mutation as the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in Evolution's armour. Although really it's the same old thing.

Let's get some things out of the way first. I can honestly say that I don't care what Dr. Behe's core beliefs are or what drove him to write The Edge of Evolution. He may very well believe in Santa or the Holy Spirit, I don't believe this is in any way pertinent to this thread. I don't know much about him, I haven't read his biography past his curriculum. The fact is, you and Rjay are the only ones who have mentioned a Creator or God. I didn't mention such thing and neither did Behe in his book thus far. It looks to me you are crediting him with words he never said. Behe doesn't deny evolution, he simply says there must be other mechanisms at work because random mutations and natural selection cannot account for classes/orders and only explain species in taxa. I'm not sure why you are invoking God or ghosts here. Moreover, why must you assume I'm a proponent of Creationism for questioning Neo Darwinism? Don't be so close minded

No it doesn't. But this paper is very commonly quoted on creationism sites which is interesting. That paper shows that bacteria have evolved a mechanism that protects important genes from random mutation, effectively reducing the risk of self-destruction. It does not show that random mutation is a destructive process and that whatever beneficial changes occur, they cannot be random. The author Luscombe states: “We discovered that there must be a molecular mechanism that preferentially protects certain areas of the genome over others". But creationists seize on the title of the paper has some sort of evidence that mutations are non random (and therefore guided by god).

So you do admit that there may be an unknown mechanism at work that allowed evolution to optimize itself. It's not the only study, as I said there are many concurrent or independent studies that show mutations do not occur randomly. They seem to occur in hotspots but how these hotspots came to be seems to be unknown. Here's another such study:

He found that the non-random model more closely predicted the frequency and density of the mutational clusters on the chromosome. "My theory is going to shake things up majorly," Amos said. "The concept of non-independent mutations simply wasn't thought of before -- this is completely new and it really changes how we think of DNA evolving." One interesting implication of this mechanism of SNP formation is that "it attracts mutations to where polymorphisms already exists, where it is likely to be tolerated [or even] beneficial," and vice versa, Amos said.

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/27910/title/Are-mutations-truly-random-/

Let's look at his claims pertaining to Malaria. He says that sickle cells are a "destructive mutation" in that they damage existing genes rather than creating a new structure. This is essentially the old creationist argument that evolution supposedly cannot create new information but argued on a molecular level. But we know this isn't true and just because humans haven't developed a better, more positive set of mutations to combat malaria doesn't mean anything. Humans haven't died out due to this single example of not evolving in the manner he thinks we should. Evolutionary theory does not make such a prediction and therefore is not broken by it not happening.

Sickle cells or HbS are one of the many examples he mentions. Here are a few mutations in malaria stricken sites that have occured over the years: HbC, HbE, thalassemia in hemoglobin beta and alpha chains, HPFH, loss of G6PD, loss of band 3 protein, Duffy antigen and there may be others. Most of these changes cause anemia and deletion of band 3 protein is lethal. These mutations may be beneficial to someone affected by malaria, but to the rest of us they may very well be a death sentence, or at the very least a burden.

He then goes on to say that he has a problem with adaptions which rely on more than one mutation. He thinks that if the first mutuation doesn't provide an advantage then it can't stick around and therefore they must happen together, does a bit of dodgy maths, and concludes it's too unlikely to happen. His example is chloroquine resistance which "requires two mutations"

I have the book in front of me and I believe the page you are referring to is this one. I don't see Behe claim anything of the sort. In fact he claims exactly the opposite. He attributes the early effectiveness of chroloquine to the fact that it took several separate mutations before malaria became more effective to fight chloroquine. It seems he's only underlining the odds required for such change to happen. I'd rather you read the book before making any other false allegations.

http://picpaste.com/pics/20170326_214736-9TUJFV0G.1490582572.jpg
20170326_214736-9TUJFV0G.1490581807.jpg

20170326_214736-9TUJFV0G.1490582572.jpg

This is just his Irreducible Complexity argument taken to the genetic level, and it's still wrong. He looks at the starting and end positions and concludes you cannot get there from there. He doesn't take into account all the evidence showing us perfectly good rational explanations of how these things can happen due to the selective pressures on random mutations.

I'm not sure what your problem with the concept of irreducible complexity is. Forget Behe for a few seconds and just try to imagine how does life propagate via mutations and natural selection if life doesn't exist already? This is pretty basic. Mutations cannot happen in rocks, or sand. Life must already exist for mutations + natural selection to work its way up. Remove any variable (Life + Mutation + Natural Selection) and the whole system falls apart. Agreed?

Last edited:
I didn't assume you were, I asked if you were. And that is because 99% of people defending Behe ARE creationists. He's the creationist darling because his position gives a sheen of scientific respectability to their unscientific beliefs. It was him they called on to present at the Dover trials. If he believed in Santa then it's not pertinent to a book pushing creationism in the guise of science. What is entirely pertinent is that he is a creationist whose aim is to prove Intelligent Design by his writings. He's side-stepped peer review to go straight to the punter. You can't say it's not relevant when his tactic is to try to convince the layman of his ideas, bypassing his peers' scrutiny, by using scientific language for baseless claims. And you, are a layman - his target audience - and are apparently convinced by him. You've fallen into his trap. That's relevant.

He says, in that book "“The conclusion of intelligent design flows naturally from the data" - he's saying random mutation does not explain evolution and that god must be doing it. That's what he's pushing here. He tried it at the structural level in his previous book and he's trying it at the genetic level in this one.

Yes of course I admit there are mechanisms used by evolution that are not yet understood. That is a given and will be a given for decades to come, possibly forever. But you posted that study as proof of what Behe is saying and it does not prove it. It's not even clear what you think that paper proves in terms of what Behe is claiming.

I don't have his book now and I'm not doing to debate pages of it you've selected. I can't possibly say that was the page I was remembering. I read it and threw it away a long time ago, but this review apparently confirms my memory about multiple mutations: https://ncse.com/library-resource/review-edge-evolution - and of course explains why it's incorrect. Dawkins review, already posted: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/01/books/review/Dawkins-t.html shoots down the main arguments pointing out that if Behe was correct and random mutation was not enough then animal breeding wouldn't work.

Look, I've said what I'm going to say. I've shown you why his arguments are not correct. The scientific community that specialises in the field says he's not correct too so you don't need to take my word. He hasn't had his ideas published in peer reviewed journal because they are incorrect and I've explained why he's doing all of this. If that's not enough then I don't know what is.

Unless you're world-leading expert in Evolution and molecular biology and so know better than the scientific community and have access to papers they don't proving this stuff, then it's hard to find a good reason as to why you're arguing he's right. You already linked to studies NOT showing what you said they did so I'm not spending time going through any more. You've picked up a book written by an creationist idealogue designed to convince you and it's apparently worked. I don't flatter myself for a minute that anything I can say would be of more value than what has already been said by the top people in the field who have papers to back it up.

I already gave you links explaining all of this. Read them. Read the counter arguments to it before defending it. No need to ask me about Irriducable Complexity (I gave 3 reasons why it's not true) when Talk Origins and the podcast I linked to explain it perfectly. It's not me having a problem with it - it's all the scientists and scientific literature having a problem with it. That's a hint worth taking IMO.

At this point, I think time spent drilling into this any further would be a waste of time until you'd at least read the counter arguments made by people vastly more qualified that I am and worked out why they're correct/incorrect. So I'll leave you to your own investigations.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back