Molecular biology and evolution

ScriptReadsMe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been reading a book by Michael Behe and he notes some incongruencies between molecular biology and darwinian evolution. While i haven't finished the book (Edge of Evolution), some of the incongruencies are very salient.

We cannot observe evolution unless we take a look at smaller organisms which reproduce drastically fast, like e.coli for example, whose cell division rate is said to be once every 30 minutes.

Observation of these micro organisms seems to indicate two things. One, evolution is a destructive process rather than constructing on something there already is. For example, resistances to malaria that developed over time in humans are actually setbacks, some being potentially fatal (HPFH, sickle cell disease, thalassemia, etc.) Basically every measure of adaptation is akin to blowing up your own bridge before the enemy nears. Even when there is a perceived gain, it's really a loss or rather a beneficial loss. A new strand of e.coli is said to use citrate aerobically as a second food source. However the big picture tells a different story. E.coli could already use citrate, but in absence of oxygen. After many generations passed, when e.coli replicated itself, the new copy lost an operon whose function was to detect oxygen.

Second salient incongruency with darwinian evolution is... it's just not possible statistically. Malaria for example is treated with a drug called chloroquine, among others. Not long ago, malaria developed resistance to chloroquine and the change occured in two amino acids, nothing to scoff at. This seemingly small change took 10^20 copies to occur. There were less humans (including descendants since they branched off from apes) on Earth, yet the mutations we endured are beyond imagination.

I thought Damon Lindelof already answered this bullshit.

came here to read @lsa 's post.

leaving satisfied. going to tell flat Earther's that from now on.

The earth does not exist. Its made up by the man to keep us under control and to pay taxes.

Flat earth is a scam made up by the CIA to control the people.
Flat earth people are sheep that cant see the full picture.

The earth does not exist. Its made up by the man to keep us under control and to pay taxes.

Flat earth is a scam made up by the CIA to control the people.
Flat earth people are sheep that cant see the full picture.

Only flat thing here is your chest. I remind you the topic here is molecular biology. If you have nothing inteligible to add, go get implants you flat chested nut

Thank you for sharing.

Only flat thing here is your chest. I remind you the topic here is molecular biology. If you have nothing inteligible to add, go get implants you flat chested nut

:eek:

What intrigues me is that common ancestry, random mutation and natural selection presuppose life already exists. After all, rocks don't mutate and compete against one another. Sure, two atoms can bond and form.. let's call it 'the first cell', but how would the first cell replicate to allow natural selection do its work? Cell division is nothing to sneeze at. It requires complex machinery, a system comprising of many parts and a single missing one would cause the system to fail (concept of irreducible complexity) Think about it, in order to copy itself, the simplest life organism requires feed. Feeding requires a huge array of machinery (evacuate waste, filter the good stuff from the bad stuff, etc.) So the entire system had to come together, otherwise the first cell couldn't have copied itself over and over

I've been reading a book by Michael Behe and he notes some incongruencies between molecular biology and darwinian evolution. While i haven't finished the book (Edge of Evolution), some of the incongruencies are very salient.

We cannot observe evolution unless we take a look at smaller organisms which reproduce drastically fast, like e.coli for example, whose cell division rate is said to be once every 30 minutes.

Observation of these micro organisms seems to indicate two things. One, evolution is a destructive process rather than constructing on something there already is. For example, resistances to malaria that developed over time in humans are actually setbacks, some being potentially fatal (HPFH, sickle cell disease, thalassemia, etc.) Basically every measure of adaptation is akin to blowing up your own bridge before the enemy nears. Even when there is a perceived gain, it's really a loss or rather a beneficial loss. A new strand of e.coli is said to use citrate aerobically as a second food source. However the big picture tells a different story. E.coli could already use citrate, but in absence of oxygen. After many generations passed, when e.coli replicated itself, the new copy lost an operon whose function was to detect oxygen.

Second salient incongruency with darwinian evolution is... it's just not possible statistically. Malaria for example is treated with a drug called chloroquine, among others. Not long ago, malaria developed resistance to chloroquine and the change occured in two amino acids, nothing to scoff at. This seemingly small change took 10^20 copies to occur. There were less humans (including descendants since they branched off from apes) on Earth, yet the mutations we endured are beyond imagination.

A lot of people that have never studied it, operate under the assumption evolution is some intelligent system designed to create "perfect" beings, but that's not the case. It's entirely random. Whatever raises the odds of survival is more likely to be passed on, but that's survival for the current environment.

Look at the horrible design of the human knee, or how you can die from brain swelling after a head injury, which is a response designed to protect you. Or sickle cell, an adaptive response to fight malaria that pretty much only fucks you up these days.

Back