Modified Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size routine - Progress to Date

Lmk if you want me to move this to the training logs.

I like Stoppani's write ups and videos quite a bit. Hes a smart dude. His supplements are the shit too.

Sure, you can move it to training logs. I am okay with that. Thanks.

-T

If this routine has been working for you, and you're progressing good, then thats great.
I myself respond well to higher volume and frequency

That would be diet related.
Rippetoe's advice on 4L milk jugs daily is sound now, come on.

It should also be mentioned that slow lifting and not locking knees/elbows is bro science, bodybuilding garbage.

You realise a lot of top powerlifters don't always completely lock out their bench reps on purpose, right? It can place a lot of strain on the joint and supporting structures.

Also, I believe Stan Efferding would purposely not lockout his deadlifts in training.

A lot of powerlifters also train assistance/isolation movements slow and controlled. It's good to actually "feel" the muscle working and focus more on the movement and contraction than the weight. I know I like it for things like curls, tricep pushdowns, hammy curls, leg extensions, single legged leg press, etc.

Edit: I'm not saying a lot of people don't fuck up/misapply what I described above, however, employed properly, it's definitely not "bro science, bodybuilding garbage."

Last edited:
You realise a lot of top powerlifters don't always completely lock out their bench reps on purpose, right? It can place a lot of strain on the joint and supporting structures.

Also, I believe Stan Efferding would purposely not lockout his deadlifts in training.

A lot of powerlifters also train assistance/isolation movements slow and controlled. It's good to actually "feel" the muscle working and focus more on the movement and contraction than the weight. I know I like it for things like curls, tricep pushdowns, hammy curls, leg extensions, single legged leg press, etc.

Edit: I'm not saying a lot of people don't fuck up/misapply what I described above, however, employed properly, it's definitely not "bro science, bodybuilding garbage."

Fair enough but I doubt that is why T-Bone is doing it.

Fair enough but I doubt that is why T-Bone is doing it.

In my experience, I find that the two seconds to raise the weight and 2 seconds to lower the weight works best for me. When I lower the weight in one second, the bar is traveling too fast at the bottom, for example if I'm doing a bench press, and I feel I have to apply too much energy to slow it down and then raise it up. With two seconds up and down, I don't have to do that. It's slow and methodical.

As for locking knees and elbows. I did hear long time ago that locking the knees on certain exercises are bad for the knees. leg presses. So I got into the habit of not locking my elbows on bench press. And military press, etc.

I cannot answer the question whether or not my progress would be better if I did lock elbows and knees. And I don't think anybody can. But I do prefer the way the exercise feels when don't lock my knees and elbows.

There's a reason why I don't do behind the neck presses. I don't like the way they feel and that's it. Just like locking elbows and knees. I really don't like the way it feels so I don't do it.

-T

In my experience, I find that the two seconds to raise the weight and 2 seconds to lower the weight works best for me. When I lower the weight in one second, the bar is traveling too fast at the bottom, for example if I'm doing a bench press, and I feel I have to apply too much energy to slow it down and then raise it up. With two seconds up and down, I don't have to do that. It's slow and methodical.

The goal should be to exercise control of the weight, regardless of how many seconds that is, not purposely train yourself to move it slow.

The goal should be to exercise control of the weight, regardless of how many seconds that is, not purposely train yourself to move it slow.

I agree. I did some testing in the past. And I tried counting One Mississippi two Mississippi each Direction. Going down one and a half seconds seem to be not quite long enough. 2 Second seem to be The Sweet Spot.

If I do wrist curls and calf raises, the distance is so short so I do not go up and down 2 seconds each way.

-T

Squatted today.. got my improvement since last month...

Compound Lift Improvement (work-in progress) after 1 month:

- Squat: added 30 pounds to barbell

-T

Very minimalist training. Hit your rear delts bro

Injury sidelined me. Will start up again in a couple of months.

-T

Back