Modified Jim Stoppani's Shortcut to Size routine - Progress to Date

T-Bone

Banned 2X but still here
Banned
Reaction score
It's a 12-week Periodized program that focuses on mass and strength. The original routine had WAY too much volume for me since I do MA 4 days per week. To summarize the original routine:
- consists of 3 phases where each phase is 4 weeks
- each week in a phase specifies the trainee to follow a particular microcycle
- microcycles specify rep ranges that are either a 12-15 rep range, 9-11 rep range, 6-8 rep range, or 3-5 rep range
- a phase starts with the 12-15 rep microcycle, and ends with the 3-5 rep microcycle (i.e. each week the weights get heavier and the rep ranges decrease)
- each set is done to failure
- the last set of an exercise is followed by either a drop set (in microcycles 1 and 2), or a rest-pause set (in microcycles 3 and 4)
- each body part trained once per week

I followed his nutritional advice fairly closely by supplementing several Whey shakes throughout the day. Post workout whey shake, about 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. 2400-3000 calories per day depending how I felt that day.

My Modifications
For the large body parts (chest, back, legs), I did one compound exercise per body part @ 4 sets, with the 5th set either a drop set or a rest pause set (depending on what the microcyle called for). Legs got 2 additional exercises for a total of about 11 sets. I used dumbbells for all exercises except for legs. For smaller muscles, like triceps/biceps, I would do 3-4 sets followed by the either a drop set or a rest pause set. Warm-up sets were not counted.

For each exercise, I prefer slow movements... about 2 seconds for lowering, and 2 seconds for raising. Never been a fan of the explosive raise. No locking of knees/elbows.

My Exercises (for first month... I plan to switch them up every so often)
Day 1
Dumbbell Bench
Dumbbell lying triceps press

Day 2
Dumbbell rows
Dumbbell curls

Day 3
Dumbbell military press
Dumbbell lateral raise

Day 4
Barbell squats
Leg extension
Leg curl

Measurements after 1 month:
- Added 5.5 pounds of body weight
- Chest measurement: added 1/2 inch
- Arm measurement: added: 1/2 inch
- Neck measurement: added: 3/4 inch
- Thigh measurement: added: 1/4 inch
- Calf measurement: no change
- Waist measurement: no change

Compound Lift Improvement (work-in progress) after 1 month:
- Dumbbell bench: added 10 pounds per dumbbell
- Dumbbell rows: added 10 pounds per dumbbell
- Squat: <will know later this week>

In closing...
So there you have it. Sharing mainly because I had fairly good results after a month. It's definitely not a BB routine. It definitely is adding strength. I do no more than 40 sets for the whole week. That's manageable since I have to dedicate 4 days each week to MA. And... if I can get good results training a body part only once per week, then why train it 2-3 times per week?

Is this routine better at adding strength than Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or 5/3/1? Are those routine better at adding mass than this routine? Dunno. I know there are horror stories of guys getting FAT on SS :)

But I am happy with the strength increases thus far, and my wife and I like how I am getting my "guns" back.

I will update this thread as time traveres onward.

-T

It's a 12-week Periodized program that focuses on mass and strength. The original routine had WAY too much volume for me since I do MA 4 days per week. To summarize the original routine:
- consists of 3 phases where each phase is 4 weeks
- each week in a phase specifies the trainee to follow a particular microcycle
- microcycles specify rep ranges that are either a 12-15 rep range, 9-11 rep range, 6-8 rep range, or 3-5 rep range
- a phase starts with the 12-15 rep microcycle, and ends with the 3-5 rep microcycle (i.e. each week the weights get heavier and the rep ranges decrease)
- each set is done to failure
- the last set of an exercise is followed by either a drop set (in microcycles 1 and 2), or a rest-pause set (in microcycles 3 and 4)
- each body part trained once per week

I followed his nutritional advice fairly closely by supplementing several Whey shakes throughout the day. Post workout whey shake, about 1.2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. 2400-3000 calories per day depending how I felt that day.

My Modifications
For the large body parts (chest, back, legs), I did one compound exercise per body part @ 4 sets, with the 5th set either a drop set or a rest pause set (depending on what the microcyle called for). Legs got 2 additional exercises for a total of about 11 sets. I used dumbbells for all exercises except for legs. For smaller muscles, like triceps/biceps, I would do 3-4 sets followed by the either a drop set or a rest pause set. Warm-up sets were not counted.

For each exercise, I prefer slow movements... about 2 seconds for lowering, and 2 seconds for raising. Never been a fan of the explosive raise. No locking of knees/elbows.

My Exercises (for first month... I plan to switch them up every so often)
Day 1
Dumbbell Bench
Dumbbell lying triceps press

Day 2
Dumbbell rows
Dumbbell curls

Day 3
Dumbbell military press
Dumbbell lateral raise

Day 4
Barbell squats
Leg extension
Leg curl

Measurements after 1 month:
- Added 5.5 pounds of body weight
- Chest measurement: added 1/2 inch
- Arm measurement: added: 1/2 inch
- Neck measurement: added: 3/4 inch
- Thigh measurement: added: 1/4 inch
- Calf measurement: no change
- Waist measurement: no change

Compound Lift Improvement (work-in progress) after 1 month:
- Dumbbell bench: added 10 pounds per dumbbell
- Dumbbell rows: added 10 pounds per dumbbell
- Squat: <will know later this week>

In closing...
So there you have it. Sharing mainly because I had fairly good results after a month. It's definitely not a BB routine. It definitely is adding strength. I do no more than 40 sets for the whole week. That's manageable since I have to dedicate 4 days each week to MA. And... if I can get good results training a body part only once per week, then why train it 2-3 times per week?

Is this routine better at adding strength than Starting Strength, Strong Lifts, or 5/3/1? Are those routine better at adding mass than this routine? Dunno. I know there are horror stories of guys getting FAT on SS :)

But I am happy with the strength increases thus far, and my wife and I like how I am getting my "guns" back.

I will update this thread as time traveres onward.

-T
Hi T-Bone, why not put this in the training logs section? Probably better suited there so we can check your progression.

Yeah a training log is the right place for this.

That said... 3 days on upper body and 1 day on lower body is out of wack. You could easily move rows/curls to Days 1 and 3 and use Day 2 for another lower body day.

I can place future progress in the training log. I made this original post here because very few, in any, knew if its existance. And now they do :)

-T

If this routine has been working for you, and you're progressing good, then thats great.
I myself respond well to higher volume and frequency

I know there are horror stories of guys getting FAT on SS :)

That would be diet related.

Holy fucking shit.

This is unbelievable

Can I get a Fabio gif??

image004.gif

So am I a monster for liking mayo and ketchup together ?

Last edited:
In closing...

What sort of routine were you following before you decided to do this for a month?

What sort of routine were you following before you decided to do this for a month?

Strong Lifts. But I really did not find it enjoyable. Hence the search for a new routine. Then I found the Stoppani routine and modified it.

-T

EDIT:
I have 2 more months on this routine. And if it keeps working, then I will do another 3 months after that.

It should also be mentioned that slow lifting and not locking knees/elbows is bro science, bodybuilding garbage.

Yo, if you arent interested in the thread topic dont post in it.

You dont need to fill it with stupid bullshit.

I can place future progress in the training log. I made this original post here because very few, in any, knew if its existance. And now they do :)

-T
Lmk if you want me to move this to the training logs.

I like Stoppani's write ups and videos quite a bit. Hes a smart dude. His supplements are the shit too.

Back