Mississippi Lawmaker: "Lynch those who take down confederate monuments"

It's actually a backhanded compliment to both. He would have betrayed the North just like he did to Nedd, and just like the South did to the North.

Also, the words just work. North, etc.
For the record, I have no fucking clue what yaw are talking about.

Everyone knows the political parties started gradually switching ideologies in the 20s-40s, and the Civil Rights act of 1964 did it in.

From a historical standpoint, this is true. But MODERN, today's parties? Both are shit just shilling for the next vote. Like always mind you, but they're closer in line today than ever believe it or not.

You're the only person not calling us Southerners racist scumbags. Even @Strychnine who's from Georgia supports the Union.

People don't realize what a powerful state Virginia was at that time either. Virginia probably produced more great minds than any state at that time. That was Lee's home, where he met and courted his wife, where he started his military career. Lee simply could not bear arms against his home state. He was truly an amazing figure. You could not have found a better example of a military officer and respectable man anywhere.
Only thing that would've made him better would be if he were born afew feet north and won gloriously, defeating slavery. There would be millions of Lee statues and posters to this day.

You're the only person not calling us Southerners racist scumbags. Even @Strychnine who's from Georgia supports the Union.
I was born and bred in Wilmington, North Carolina. Most of my family is split up between Charlotte, and Texas. So there is a lot of southern heritage here. Thing is, my father grew up in Ann Arbor, Michigan in the late 60s, and I got a lot of my liberalism from him. Also, I'm Irish-Cherokee, so historically we knew what it was to be disenfranchised and murdered/enslaved. I always say "One side was building the railroads while fucking the help"

Difference is, that the rest of the world at some point was doing what the South was - the North did it too. And historically it wasn't so much about race as it was about class.

Not everyone was systemically eradicating certain peoples and actively trying to take over continents like Nazi Germany. They are still apologizing for that.

Don't put enslavement on another pedestal from eradication. It is cruel and just as dehumanizing.

Don't put enslavement on another pedestal from eradication. It is cruel and just as dehumanizing.
To be fair, we aren't really hating on the Spanish these days for destroying entire civilizations like the Aztecs, Mayan or Inca, are we?

Dude, believe me. There *is* a difference.

Not much. the damage was and is so great that it still hasn't been completely unwound over 100 years later. The affects are much more long lasting and institutional.

Not much. the damage was and is so great that it still hasn't been completely unwound over 100 years later. The affects are much more long lasting and institutional.
I'm not gonna sit here and say that there isn't actual racism going on, on an individual basis that most can't control. But truthfully, there has been more pandering than otherwise on a general and national level, especially through the media and news. Unfortunately I believe they are the ones who make the stories and can dictate what is important and what is not. If CNN/Fox/etc. and the internet weren't around, you wouldn't think racism is an issue because you would just decide who is cool or not based on who you meet.

Do you agree with modern affirmative action?

To be fair, we aren't really hating on the Spanish these days for destroying entire civilizations like the Aztecs, Mayan or Inca, are we?

The affects are still there. Go up to the highlands of Guatamala. All the poor people are short and squat, natives. All the rich people are tall and of Spanish descent.

The affects are still there. Go up to the highlands of Guatamala. All the poor people are short and squat, natives. All the rich people are tall and of Spanish descent.
But are we collectively holding the Spanish people accountable?

On most categories that reflect negatively, Mississippi is always at least one step above Alabama to keep us from being number 1.

And a bunch of other southern states aren't far behind on these negative lists. So what's that say about the South and it's culture and ideology as a whole that keeps it taking the cake on shit lists?

And a bunch of other southern states aren't far behind on these negative lists. So what's that say about the South and it's culture and ideology as a whole that keeps it taking the cake on shit lists?
Anesthesia, hearing aids, Coca Cola, sweet tea, barbecue. Just a few things invented in the Southern states.

tumblr_mxnq12tolz1t5o1w9o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

You do realize that I am a black dude that was born and raised in rural Georgia, right?
:)

You do realize that I am a black dude that was born and raised in rural Georgia, right?
:)

No I didn't know you were Black. Don't tell me you don't like white girls? It's also okay if you prefer guys. :rolleyes:

my_way.gif

Like I said earlier, a lot of rural, uneducated, poor areas. Every part of every southern state isn't like that, but the parts that are, are pretty damn bad. Plus, the southern states are not as populated, so the per capita numbers will be worse than the more populated Northern states.

Back