Minnesota authorities release police dash cam video of Philando Castile shooting.

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

I will admit I didn't follow trial. Man clearly states he has a firearm and officer starts shooting saying don't reach for it. Small child in the car. Other officer looks shocked.

Of course the officer can say he was reaching for it, but who knows.

I will admit I didn't follow trial. Man clearly states he has a firearm and officer starts shooting saying don't reach for it. Small child in the car. Other officer looks shocked.

Of course the officer can say he was reaching for it, but who knows.

he said don't reach for it three times before shooting. I don't think this video will change many people's view.

Is their bodycam footage? Was the guy reaching for it? I mean, the cop says over and over don't reach for it.

he said don't reach for it three times before shooting. I don't think this video will change many people's view.

Probably won't and I can clearly make a defense for the officer in this video. A body cam would likely better clarify the situation.

Is their bodycam footage? Was the guy reaching for it? I mean, the cop says over and over don't reach for it.
I'm thinking the dude was in the middle of pulling out his wallet, and wanted to reveal that it was indeed his wallet to calm the panicky cop down. It had the opposite effect.

So the cop tells him three times not to pull out his gun before he fires but you can hear Castile say, he's not pulling it out before the gun opens fire. without body cam, there's no way to tell what happened before the officer opened fire but even if you have a licensed gun, you never pull it out even to show the cop. That alone can be justification for a shooting.

So the cop thinks the guy is going to tell him he has a gun and then try to pull it on him and shoot him?

Makes sense.

If Philando's intent was to shoot the cop he would have pulled and fired without first telling the cop he was in fact armed.

Yeah this doesn't help, he clearly states don't reach for it and he continued to do something or so I'd be led to believe. Especially on the cops reaction after he fired he sounded fucking terrified. We don't know what he was reaching for nor can we see what's happening inside. I'm not saying it's okay but he should have just kept his hands on the wheel when he got his license back. I always do that. I always go back to a neutral position and ask.

Messed up but we'll probably never know.

So another case of someone not listening to an officer's command. I have my permit. I told a cop that on a traffic stop. He told me to keep my hands on the wheel. I did, he let me go with a warning. When are people going to realize that cops aren't playing around when they tell you to do something?

So the cop thinks the guy is going to tell him he has a gun and then try to pull it on him and shoot him?

Makes sense.

If Philando's intent was to shoot the cop he would have pulled and fired without first telling the cop he was in fact armed.

If you have an a gun on you, you don't reach for your pocket period. We don't know what happened inside the car but the cop is suppose to give you instructions after informing him that you are armed and he did tell him not to pull it out. People with CCL have training when dealing with officers for this exact reason. Honest, I don't think either guy is the bad one here

Cop says "don't reach for it" 3 times, Castile says he's not (I think), but was still reaching on that side likely to get the information he asked for. The gun was in the way.

But if a cop tells me not to reach for a gun, I'm going to make absolute sure he knows I have no intentions of doing it.

This is an amazing rationale for why he feared Castile was dangerous, from the officer's interview with investigators:

“As that was happening, as he was pulling at, out his hand I thought, I was gonna die and I thought if he’s, if he has the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the 5-year-old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me?”

http://www.startribune.com/case-file-in-philando-castile-shooting-to-be-made-public-today/429659263/

Fair enough, really. I mean, if he'd smoke in front of a kid, he'd definitely murder a police officer. Better to be safe than sorry.

Shit. Being a cop is definitely not on my bucket list.

I'm thinking the dude was in the middle of pulling out his wallet, and wanted to reveal that it was indeed his wallet to calm the panicky cop down. It had the opposite effect.

But a wallet is not a gun. Pulling out a wallet does not warrant being killed.

But I also understand things change because he mentions he has gun.

I just think cops are too easily given a pass to kill simply because they perceive danger.

What a shitty situation tho.

If he had kids I hope the state takes care of them financially.

If anyone is curious, I was taught to always keep my hands on the wheel when pulled over. Keep your hands on the wheel, and follow instructions as asked.

Now if I was concealed carrying I would let the officer know. You have to do your homework. You tell the officer that you have a CC permit and have one on your person. Then while your hands are still on the wheel you ask the officer how he would like to proceed. Then you clearly follow the officers instructions.

Anyway, carrying is a big responsibility so it is important to know your local laws and the proper and safe way to deal with it.

I haven't followed this story at all... will the release of this video trigger protests? Or is that all done and over with?

I haven't followed this story at all... will the release of this video trigger protests? Or is that all done and over with?

I don't think this was a white cop shooting a black suspect. So everything should be okay.

Back