Minimum Wage raise to $15...

Does this mean working class people with marketable skills already making $15-30/hr will also get a bump?
You'd hope so.

I'd hope the Teamsters would argue for me to get a pay bump as I only make $18.07 and am forced to wear a damn suit to work on the daily. Ggggrrrrr

11.60 to 15 is doubling..... how can I argue with such amazing maths

Maybe if you can't afford to pay full time employees a livable wage in the city you operate in you don't have a business worth surviving
The US federal minimum wage is $7.25 and there is a "fight for 15" here as well, which would actually be more than double. I understand the thread is about Ontario, but they've tried it in Seattle too and it went as expected, with hours being cut and stores closing and MW wage workers actually having smaller paychecks.

Minimum wage isn't supposed to be "livable", it's supposed to be for dependents to get some work experience. I'd bet dollars against donuts that you bitch when a company gets too big and call them greedy and simultaneously just said a business shouldn't survive if they can't pay cashiers with no work experience a handsome salary. Pick a street.

11.60 to 15 is doubling..... how can I argue with such amazing maths

Maybe if you can't afford to pay full time employees a livable wage in the city you operate in you don't have a business worth surviving

So only corporations are worth keeping?

I would hate for you to lose your job at cinnabon
Again you avoid what I say because you know you're wrong.

You and the rest of you limpwrists don't care about people. It's just points for you. The right (sane) don't want a huge raise in minimum wage so you are for it.

You are fine for jobs to be lost. Sad! Lol!

Does this mean working class people with marketable skills already making $15-30/hr will also get a bump?

No. The logic I’ve heard tossed around is basically that public sector workers, who make up a huge % of our workforce in Ontario, have been getting raises while minimum wage earners haven’t. This whole line of logic breaks down in a few different ways but I’ve heard it repeated by people defending the minimum wage increase and people in the private sector.

Again you avoid what I say because you know you're wrong.

You and the rest of you limpwrists don't care about people. It's just points for you. The right (sane) don't want a huge raise in minimum wage so you are for it.

You are fine for jobs to be lost. Sad! Lol!

Source on jobs at the mall being lost because of this?

It's a bump of too high a scale for an entire region in my opinion, but the doom and gloom about everyone losing their jobs (re @sniper ) is bunk.

It’s not as bad as the worse projections on the scale but people will lose jobs and benefits.

Tim Hortons, one of the biggest private employers in a lot of the province is generally taking away benefits as a result. It’s up to the franchansee tho and I’ve heard some are taking away employees breaks instead or in addition to the benefits. I have a friend who between him and his immediate family own 5 and they are not taking anything away from their employees yet though.

My wife and a friend are in the process on doing their DD to buy a business and I’m doing their financial forecasting. They are going to have to fire 2 of the 7 employees currently working there if they do end up buying.

It's a good experiment, even though it's not meant as one, we'll get real life data on what happens when you raise to 15. Personally I don't foresee it having a negative effect, or a significant negative effect. People are deluded when they think the free hand of the market will magically sort everything out, it's not magic and that never happens. Our capitalist system only works because it's tempered by regulations, worker protection laws, taxes, social redistribution.

137000 part time jobs lost Nationwide in Jan. 49000 full time jobs created.

By what metric is that a fair trade off?
Seems like a lot of casual employed lost their jobs. Not great. But i am sure there were a bunch of students etc who lost their jobs. Most dont make enough to pay taxes. Full time jobs are better for the economy.

The minimum wage hasnt gone up with standard of living. 15 an hour is roughly 30 grand a year. That is not a lot of money. These businesses have been able to exploit workers for a while now.

Too much, too fast. I agree people should make more but a massive sudden increase in minimum wage won't work.

It sure does make you look super duper compassionate and totally not a conservative though, which is yuge in Canada.

That stupid cunt running Ontario is the worst commie in the world next to Trudeau.

A lot of people think the spike will double costs.. That implies that the bulk of what is produced cost wise comes from the labor, which usually only accounts for 20%.. So an increase in the form of a few dollars would only increase the price of the product marginally, the result which will be balanced by increased cost, a few less hours for some (which is basically where companies already operated, if you don't need excessive labor on you already have it limited), and through other efficiencies (removal of paid breaks, reducing turn over and training costs).

I'm guessing some of those jobs that were shed in January are the typical seasonal jobs that come and go before and shortly after the holiday sales increase.. Will be interesting to see how it effects Ontario, we'll see the results over the next few years I guess.

Source that this won't cause jobs lost and that this is good for the economy?

Most companies are already running at the minimum amount of employees they can get away with. If you are managing a business and you don't need Danielle and Suzy around to output a certain level of service the customer demands they're already cut.. If you aren't running this way you are doing a HORRIBLE job managing.

If you're running a Tim Hortons (since this is the example given) and have 5 employees on and it costs an additional 3 dollars you're now accountable for an extra $15 per hour.. You can pass SOME of this on in a mild increase in price to recoup maybe an extra $4-5 across the next 15-20 customers, you can take a paid 15 break etc away.. It's not the end of the world.

I think in Canada min wage is around 15-20% of jobs, I don't think it will be a yuge back breaker tbh.. I'm not worried in the slightest.

I enjoy seeing this stuff in Canada. They should be guinea pigs for everything.

I think higher paid employees worry less about rent , worry less about eating and in return will probably be more efficient.

Less turn over which is rampant among minimum wage jobs and a huge detriment to the business.

I fucking hate this knee jerk reaction with everyone acting like the world and the foundation of civilisation is crumbling.

Invest in your employees, these people are the backbone of society doing the jobs no one else wants to do....is it to much to ask for a reasonable wage?

But what do I know? I like when men take a dump on my chest.
another new account?

- Less jobs and harder to get jobs, harder to start a company and hire people
- Overall economic deadweight loss
- Prices get inflated (not necessarily if the economic instrument which takes the hit is all in less jobs, meaning less demand for supplies/goods due to people not having jobs and being able to afford them). However I feel most businesses would raise their prices regardless of how the economy responds to the wage hike, so there is extra deadweight loss here.
- Prices going up = inflation = anybody who can't afford to invest their savings lose money, which is going to be more people due to people losing jobs and having to rely on savings
- Increase push for automation (short term economic gain in engineering, long term loss)

+ short term gains for people earning minimum wage who don't get fired

The US federal minimum wage is $7.25 and there is a "fight for 15" here as well, which would actually be more than double. I understand the thread is about Ontario, but they've tried it in Seattle too and it went as expected, with hours being cut and stores closing and MW wage workers actually having smaller paychecks.

Minimum wage isn't supposed to be "livable", it's supposed to be for dependents to get some work experience. I'd bet dollars against donuts that you bitch when a company gets too big and call them greedy and simultaneously just said a business shouldn't survive if they can't pay cashiers with no work experience a handsome salary. Pick a street.

If you think 15 an hour in Toronto is a "handsome salary" I guess you don't know what after taxes 1800 will get you. Rent will be about 1200 on w 1 bedroom in a shitty area

I always guess those upset thst low education people will make such pittance must make a shitty wage themselves to be so invested in keeping people below poverty whole working full time

Back