Minimum Wage raise to $15...

15 an hour is too much in Alabama and not enough in California or New York. So maybe states should decide?

No, because there's a similar differential between Los Angeles and some butt fuck down in Northeastern California.

It needs to be at the municipal or county level.

Also, state-level Republicans have widely nixed that (very common sense) development of cities raising their wages proportionate to their living costs.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_0428b488-d4e2-5778-895b-f44ad92cc65a.html

Seattle you're starting to see problems and they haven't hit $15 yet, only at $13.

Employers are scaling back hours given to people. In some cases people are making less now at $13 an hour than they did at the initial bump of $11.

There will be some growing pains, but it should reach equilibrium fairly quickly.

Heck go malls period and see how many brick and mortar stores are closed up.

But seriously, people don't understand drastic minimum wage hikes unless they see boarded up businesses. Money making big name fast food franchises mostly weather the storm and are ahead of the automation curve as it is.

But seriously, people don't understand drastic minimum wage hikes unless they see boarded up businesses. Money making big name fast food franchises mostly weather the storm and are ahead of the automation curve as it is.
Stock market going to btfo with this, or so I've been told.

Real wages are actually still lower than they were in the 60/70's factoring in cost of living/inflation/etc.

Should be raised even more.

labor_history.png

Not gonna benefit them because the price of everything will just go up and/or robots will take their jobs.

Do you really think the minimum wage impact the cost of stuff you buy very much? This always comes up in these threads, it's not as though the driving force behind Big Mac pricing is the cost per hour of having the patties flipped by thousands.

There will be some growing pains, but it should reach equilibrium fairly quickly.
Maybe, and I'm no economist but there's things that are concerning about what's going on in Seattle with this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-really-helps-workers/?utm_term=.bb85d4a77a75

Some highlights:

- The city is gradually increasing the hourly minimum to $15 over several years. Already, though, some employers have not been able to afford the increased minimums. They've cut their payrolls, putting off new hiring, reducing hours or letting their workers go, the study found.

- The costs to low-wage workers in Seattle outweighed the benefits by a ratio of three to one, according to the study, conducted by a group of economists at the University of Washington who were commissioned by the city. The study, published as a working paper Monday by the National Bureau of Economic Research, has not yet been peer reviewed. (I realize the bolded is an issue that's why I include this bullet point)

From the USA today on the same study:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...5-minimum-wage-may-hurting-workers/431424001/

A report from the University of Washington (UW), found that when wages increased to $13 in 2016, some companies may have responded by cutting low-wage workers' hours. The study, which was funded in part by the city of Seattle, found that workers clocked 9% fewer hours on average, and earned $125 less each month after the most recent increase.

Why stop there? Why not $20? Why not just write everyone a check for a cool hundred grand? Then we'd all be millionaires!

It's a bump of too high a scale for an entire region in my opinion, but the doom and gloom about everyone losing their jobs (re @sniper ) is bunk.

59000 part time workers who lost their jobs in Ontario in January beg to differ.

Most economists are saying the wage hike played a major role.

1. Not every company hiring people is some huge corporation.

2. Almost doubling the cost of hiring someone is going to make robots a cheaper option a lot sooner.

3. <JagsKiddingMe>

11.60 to 15 is doubling..... how can I argue with such amazing maths

Maybe if you can't afford to pay full time employees a livable wage in the city you operate in you don't have a business worth surviving

Does this mean working class people with marketable skills already making $15-30/hr will also get a bump?

Good.

Corporate cucks need to standup for themselves and demand more money and stop being corporate cucks!

Back