***Minimalism***

I've fallen into it naturally.

If I needed to move, everything I need/care about could fit in one bag. The rest is expendable, and I really don't buy much 'stuff' beyond building/crafting things.

If it makes you happy then keep it, I think the message is more don't obsess over acquiring more and more just for the sake of it
in our case we did'nt bought stuff to make the room like that, it has been more the result of all my stuff+all her stuff when i moved to live in her home
Most of objects are stuff from travels

My home as single was pretty empty in comparision (most of stuff belong to her), but i like the change make the room lively

Yep, I’ve been designing minimalist spaces and houses for the bulk of my career. Love clean lines, thinking volumetrically with materials, and creating obvious focal points. Some clients love it and some hate it, but they know what they’re getting when they hire me.

Yep, I’ve been designing minimalist spaces and houses for the bulk of my career. Love clean lines, thinking volumetrically with materials, and creating obvious focal points. Some clients love it and some hate it, but they know what they’re getting when they hire me.
Are you an architect?

Wouldn't say I embrace minimalism as a lifestyle necessarily, but I do generally hate clutter and think Marie Kondo's approach to living a decluttered life is one that anyone would be better off orienting their home off of.

Are you an architect?

Not licensed yet, but I’m almost there. You can still design buildings without a license but you can’t put your name on the drawings as the architect until you do (basically you send the drawings to a licensed architect for proofing even if you know what you’re doing).

Got my master of architecture at A&M a while back and have been designing houses and teaching architecture for the past 15 or so years.

Been a truly fun and fulfilling career.

Not licensed yet, but I’m almost there. You can still design buildings without a license but you can’t put your name on the drawings as the architect until you do (basically you send the drawings to a licensed architect for proofing even if you know what you’re doing).

Got my master of architecture at A&M a while back and have been designing houses and teaching architecture for the past 15 or so years.

Been a truly fun and fulfilling career.
Nice sounds cool

I've actually been doing some decorating recently.

One thing I've discovered is I really like a lot of free open easy to reach space, especially free counter space and free shelf space.

This is not for aesthetics at all, but rather because it gives you a lot of freedom to evolve your space functionally to adapt to your needs and preferences. Having to use a lot of tools recently? Well just spread it out ad hoc on that huge counter space over there. Like a lot of junk food? Just spread it out on those shelves and add a few plates. The fact is no amount of thinking or planning can match you just putting stuff you like within easy reach in the course of daily life.

It's a great feeling not to have to think about arranging things at all yet have everything always at the most convenient. In computer terms, it's like having a huge cache memory which is a stupid yet almost always effective way to speed up any program.

So I support minimalism in the sense that by getting rid of useless stuff you create a lot of free space for yourself. However, I do not support minimalism for aesthetics. I think there you run into the danger of trying to make everything appear minimalist and start sacrificing convenience. As with anything that you will spend a long time with, beauty quickly becomes unimportant and functionality becomes everything.

Last edited:
Saw an article today about a couple, former engineer maybe and former IT guy, in their 30's retired and living in mobile home after selling the house, the sports car, other trophy possessions and living off $40k investment account growth each year. They only had maybe $900k savings when they retired and now it's like $1.2m.

Minimalist shoes is where it's at. Get as many as you possibly can hoard!

This is something I've always been interested in but until recently, well fairly recent anyway, I had responsibilities that didn't really allow for it.

I got put on to the minimalist thing a few years back.
At that point I was paying for a storage locker to house the shit I never use.
I think there's a psychic weight that comes with having a lot of inanimate objects in our life, and it feels darn good to lighten the load.

It's harder than you would think though. When you start doing it, you really notice how the world conspires to try laden you with a bunch of bullshit.

Today, I got rid of a treadmill that my inlaws gave us that we never used, but taking up space in our basement

Feels good man, and the person that i sold it to seemed really happy

Saw an article today about a couple, former engineer maybe and former IT guy, in their 30's retired and living in mobile home after selling the house, the sports car, other trophy possessions and living off $40k investment account growth each year. They only had maybe $900k savings when they retired and now it's like $1.2m.

The F.I.R.E. movement is pretty enticing, but I don’t have the discipline to make it happen.

I bought a minimalist "wallet" during covid. I freakin' love it!

lighter
Oh, cool. I got the black carbon fiber version about two months ago & I love it.

Im fine with an 0z, 8ball, xbox and a half naked girl on my couch.

I can see the appeal of living that sort of a lifestyle for some people but it's just not in my nature. I need my stuff, man. I've been a collector since I was a little kid & I can't imagine not having them. I did pare down my boxing memorabilia collection & my action figure collection by selling off quite a bit of stuff before moving to Arizona a couple of years ago but I wound up just investing most of the money that I made into other things like new electronics & other collectibles. All of which I'm in the process of packing up now to make the move back to New York.

the living room i'm posting from is full of un-needed shit and we love it
View attachment 857516
and it's not even over, white wall on the left is about to get bunch of small paintings lol

I don't think there's a universal correct answer, for how i see it only important thing is your home give you good vibes
Humble brag post imo. Looks nice and homey, reasonably organized too.

Oh, cool. I got the black carbon fiber version about two months ago & I love it.

That one was my second choice! I also really like the Damascus one for something different.

Do you use the cash strap or the money clip (or both?). I ordered it with both but it came with the cash strap attached and I never bothered to switch it out yet. I might try the money clip for a while to see how I like it.

That one was my second choice! I also really like the Damascus one for something different.

Do you use the cash strap or the money clip (or both?). I ordered it with both but it came with the cash strap attached and I never bothered to switch it out yet. I might try the money clip for a while to see how I like it.
Mine has the cash strap as well but I never use it since I never carry cash ( I only use debit & credit cards these days ). But I like the way it looks so I keep it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back