Mikey Garcia vs Lomachenko

Doctors don't stop fights for broken ribs either. A fighter can quit because of it if he wants but thats not what we're talking about.
Was it an illegal headbutt that caused the broken ribs? :D

Ok but can you at least admit that a broken nose can be a valid reason for stopping a fight? Whether it's the ref, doctor or fighter himself that stops it?
A fighter can quit for whatever reason he wants but he loses when he does.

A fighter can quit for whatever reason he wants but he loses when he does.
That wasn't my question. I swear it's like pulling teeth with you sometimes...:p Can a broken nose be a valid reason for stopping a fight?

That wasn't my question. I swear it's like pulling teeth with you sometimes...:p Can a broken nose be a valid reason for stopping a fight?
No. Pretty sure you didn't need to ask me that.

No. Pretty sure you didn't need to ask me that.
Ok so we disagree on that. I agree with you though that fighters aren't supposed to influence doctors or refs even though they sometimes do.

Ok so we disagree on that. I agree with you though that fighters aren't supposed to influence doctors or refs even though they sometimes do.

Exactly. That was my point earlier.

They kinda have to be put in that position though. The doctor asks questions to determine whether the fight should continue. Like, "Can you see? How many fingers am I holding up?" They have to ask, and the fighter has to answer, leading to a situation where the fighter may determine the stoppage.

They kinda have to be put in that position though. The doctor asks questions to determine whether the fight should continue. Like, "Can you see? How many fingers am I holding up?" They have to ask, and the fighter has to answer, leading to a situation where the fighter may determine the stoppage.

Agreed.

"Breathe through your nose."
*determines whether or not air can pass sufficiently*

Not -

"Can you breathe?"
"No"
"Okay then."

Well in that case it would basically be cheating. I think it was Bryant Brannon that did that once before he fought Roy. I think it was an early cut, and he told the doctor he could see long enough to go past 4 rounds, knowing the fight wouldn't go to score cards if it was stopped before then. Then right after the bell he tells the doctor he can't see and the doctor stopped it. I almost thought he deserved it when Roy took him out with a triple hook.

Thought I'd come back and see if anyone had some interesting views on a potential Garcia/Loma matchup seeing how Garcia did last night. I guess not....

Thought I'd come back and see if anyone had some interesting views on a potential Garcia/Loma matchup seeing how Garcia did last night. I guess not....

Oh, sorry. Did we forget to check with you and see if we could discuss other aspects of boxing? Sorry about that.

Mikey has to show a bit more in a few more fights to really gauge how he fares against Loma. Right now, the obvious answer is Loma beats the snot out of him. He didn't look as sharp as the commentary last night would suggest.

Did Garcia seem "stiff" to you guys? He looked tight and it could be his return but he did not display patience

Oh, sorry. Did we forget to check with you and see if we could discuss other aspects of boxing? Sorry about that.
No problem Seano you carry on being argumentative like usual. Continue

Mikey has to show a bit more in a few more fights to really gauge how he fares against Loma. Right now, the obvious answer is Loma beats the snot out of him. He didn't look as sharp as the commentary last night would suggest.
Yeah that's what I thought. I didn't see the volume or pressure that some said he'd trouble Loma with. As his boxing stands currently I'd see Loma beating him fairly easily and giving him a boxing lesson.

We'll need to see Garcia fight some more relevant opposition and shake off some more rust before we can say a lot about how he'd do against elite opposition after the layoff. What I would say is that at his best he'd fairly easily beat anyone that Lomachenko has fought so far (GRJ included), and that he is considerably more dangerous than anyone Lomachenko has fought.

We'll need to see Garcia fight some more relevant opposition and shake off some more rust before we can say a lot about how he'd do against elite opposition after the layoff. What I would say is that at his best he'd fairly easily beat anyone that Lomachenko has fought so far (GRJ included), and that he is considerably more dangerous than anyone Lomachenko has fought.
Good, i hope he can get back to his best form. Great opposition is exactly what Lomachenko needs to show his skills.

No problem Seano you carry on being argumentative like usual. Continue
Well, I know its not as gripping as popping into threads and complaining about what everyone is discussing and then leaving, but thanks for the approval.

Offensively, I thought he looked fine but he sure was getting hit a lot. He didn't seem very slick in there and his reflexes didn't seem to be what they were.

Garcia was getting hit with straight shots that would hurt him if it wasn't an opponent from a lower weight class. It's a bit concerning, but he didn't look shot, which was my fear after such a long layoff. His power covers up many of his flaws, I thought his footwork left something to be desired as well. He's an awesome fighter to watch though, fantastic use of changing eye levels with different punches and angles.

Back