Mighty Mouse being a bad ass

Even if we accept that that's true, what they will read once the promotion starts is how dangerous the opponent is:

Josa Aldo, undefeated for ten years. RDA/Eddie, a monster from a higher weight class. Floyd Mayweather, the greatest boxer of all time.

Each a greater challenge than the last. The impression is NEVER that it's going to be easy.

UFC 196 blows up your argument. Nate stepped in on short notice and had a record that would not have been impressive to the casuals who drove the buyrate well above a million buys. Most of the people who tuned in to that card did so to see Conor style on somebody (anybody) after the 13 second Aldo KO.

When combat athletes become megadraws (like Conor, Pac, Floyd or Ronda), people are far more invested in the narrative surrounding the draw than any of their opponents, unless the opponent is similarly well-known (EG Conor-Floyd).

Even if we accept that that's true, what they will read once the promotion starts is how dangerous the opponent is:

Josa Aldo, undefeated for ten years. RDA/Eddie, a monster from a higher weight class. Floyd Mayweather, the greatest boxer of all time.

Each a greater challenge than the last. The impression is NEVER that it's going to be easy.
But what about Ray Borg...umm how did they promote him? The guy who keeps missing weight?

Forget him, how about Chris Cariaso. Ok what about Tim Elliott. Oh yeah he was champion of the TUFers.

Shame we missed out on the epic promotion of Sergio, brother of the guy who had the awesome kick.

That was a super boss move. I remember watching that fight for the first time. That moment kinda sold me on DJ. I already liked him but that really won me over.

Back