Michelle Waterson looking good for UFC 218.

How will Michelle Waterson beat Tecia Torres?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jackson-Wink is pretty terrible at building fundamentals for some reason, almost all their fighters both male & female either can't punch straight to save their lives or have some sort of wonky body mechanics. To me, it seems like they go straight to the gameplans, fancy combos, and other advanced stuff without ever getting the basic fundamentals sorted out.

Trevor Wittman seems like a good guy. Saw an interview or article with Rose a while back where she said Wittman told her to quit it with the spinning shit and made just jab until he was happy before starting to add things back in. There was another interview earlier this year where Trevor and Rose said the way the Shevchenko sisters trained gave them a lot of things to think about and they were looking to add some of the training methods they picked up from them. So he definitely understands the importance of fundamentals and he's smart enough to see how various things work, play with them in his mind, and figure out how to put it all together to improve things.

Again, it always comes down to fundamentals. I was working with this kid the other day and he was asking about why he practiced basic shit so much, and I got to hit him with a line my coach first clubbed me over the head with 30 or 40 years ago (who fucking knows, I am old) "When you get too good at the basics, let me know so I can tell everyone." Feels great when you get to do that. :)

But yes, it seems like the really good strikers at Jacksons either have huge natural talent (Jones) or came from somewhere else and started conducting their fight camps there. Many of the other lower-tier fighters do not even seem to know how to cut the ring.

Back