Mercedes cheapening the brand by rebranding a Nissan pickup as a Mercedes

The abuse of the AMG brand is a terrible long term strategy. I would be livid if I bought a C63 AMG only to see the streets littered with housewives in faux AMG 43's. That might get some short term sales spikes, but it's going to cheapen the badge and piss off loyalists.

BMW and Audi are doing it too, but not so blatantly. Is nothing sacred?

Actually audi does it a lot.

Audi tt, a3 and q3 have been based off a vw golf platform for years.

Bmw is good. They don't share their vehicles with anyone outside the bmw brand. Their vehicles are very often perfectly balanced. They had some issues with electrical work and oil leaks but they I think they are over that now. The runflats aren't for everyone though.

Mercedes prefers a Chevy

babe-month-mercedes-terrell30.jpg

I could be argued the Mercedes brand is already cheapened (or at least broadened) since in their domestic market they make everything from semis to taxis and aren't considered solely a luxury marque like they are in North America.

There's also their "AMG all the things" approach the last several years as well as creating ever cheaper entry level vehicles to woo badge-whores.

To me a rebranded pickup is totally in line with this philosophy. Why feed a dog top sirloin when it can't tell the difference from ground chuck?
In Europe they are both, utilitarian transport and luxury. People in Europe still pay big bucks for Mercedes. The S Class still sells in decent numbers.

Those dummies in the back seat look like they're taking a wicked neck break.

Mercedes is heavily involved in the utility vehicle business in Europe, whether it's transportation/Logistics (Trucks,Buses,Taxis) or Construction (pickups,vans).VW & Renault/Nissan are some of the biggest competitors.
The pickup class is pretty much dominated by japanese manufacturers (Nissan,Toyota,Mitsubishi)

Fahrzeuge-der-Nutzfahrzeugsparte-Mercedes-Benz-Vana-135615-620x400.jpg

Mercedes-Actros-1845-Bild-2.jpg

Actually audi does it a lot.

Audi tt, a3 and q3 have been based off a vw golf platform for years.

Bmw is good. They don't share their vehicles with anyone outside the bmw brand. Their vehicles are very often perfectly balanced. They had some issues with electrical work and oil leaks but they I think they are over that now. The runflats aren't for everyone though.
what Audi/VW does is completely different. They are sharing platforms for a vast array of cars, and the MQB platform with the TSI engine is in dozens of models ranging from hatchbacks, sedans to crossovers. But Audi's RS division engineers bespoke engines for their RS models that don't get shared with lesser Audis or VW's. So the RS3 and TTRS might be on the same Golf platform as the budget A3 and TT, but they are truly worthy of the RS badge.

The Mercedes AMG 43 is just a lowly regular Mercedes with fake AMG badging. The BMW "M-sport" cars do this too, and customers will catch on. These dont elevate the pretender models to their motorsport division's status, but instead lowers the status of the entire stable.

what Audi/VW does is completely different. They are sharing platforms for a vast array of cars, and the MQB platform with the TSI engine is in dozens of models ranging from hatchbacks, sedans to crossovers. But Audi's RS division engineers bespoke engines for their RS models that don't get shared with lesser Audis or VW's. So the RS3 and TTRS might be on the same Golf platform as the budget A3 and TT, but they are truly worthy of the RS badge.

The Mercedes AMG 43 is just a lowly regular Mercedes with fake AMG badging. The BMW "M-sport" cars do this too, and customers will catch on. These dont elevate the pretender models to their motorsport division's status, but instead lowers the status of the entire stable.

I disagree. The m sport badge is just for aesthetics - steering wheel, etc. You don't even need the m labels if you don't want them.

Audi s3 = same engine and chassis as vw golf r.

I understand audi has a newer platform nowadays but the older one for the golf was terrible to apply for the rs3 and ttrs. Those cars are known to be great in a straight line but understeer like crazy. Up until the recent changes such as the lighter aluminum engine for the s4, all audis understeer badly except the mid engine r8.

Not true performance vehicles by any stretch except the r8 and maybe the rs5.

Bmw only makes true performance vehicles in their m division (not talking about m sport badge options).

C43 may not be a standout compared to other amg models but it is meant to compete with the s4 and bmw 340 which it does well. 0-60 in 4.3. It isn't a prius like you are implying.

By the way I don't hate audi. I own one. I just like to tell it like it is.

Fuck paying a mortgage for a car that is used as a taxi.

Mercedes shit the bed years ago when they brought in chrysler design V6s.

Oh....and that lebaron/maserati?

The cylinder head on it is worth it's weight in gold.

I've seen pretty basic mods push them to 400hp and there have been some at or near 1000hp.

Mercedes shit the bed years ago when they brought in chrysler design V6s.

Oh....and that lebaron/maserati?

The cylinder head on it is worth it's weight in gold.

I've seen pretty basic mods push them to 400hp and there have been some at or near 1000hp.

No matter what engine you put in that thing, it's still a Lebaron.
<36>

Back