Mercedes cheapening the brand by rebranding a Nissan pickup as a Mercedes

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
Pickups are very popular in the US and thus major brand advertising. It looks like Japanese or US small pickup, and not like a German product. The G-wagon pickup actually looks like something MB would make.

I think MB should have made a ground-up new Pickup or brought in the utilitarian G-wagon pickup to the US, which is comparable to the Landcruiser pickup.

c609db21075fd48871d75349ca0be805ea614ef6c64a313ba3665e2561a20bf1.jpg

Just because it’s based on the same platform doesn’t mean it can’t be vastly different. Highly doubt the two will be similar.

Why the fuck would anyone buy a Mercedes truck anyways? Let them stick to weird looking vans outside of their AMG.

I could be argued the Mercedes brand is already cheapened (or at least broadened) since in their domestic market they make everything from semis to taxis and aren't considered solely a luxury marque like they are in North America.

There's also their "AMG all the things" approach the last several years as well as creating ever cheaper entry level vehicles to woo badge-whores.

To me a rebranded pickup is totally in line with this philosophy. Why feed a dog top sirloin when it can't tell the difference from ground chuck?

I could be argued the Mercedes brand is already cheapened (or at least broadened) since in their domestic market they make everything from semis to taxis and aren't considered solely a luxury marque like they are in North America.

There's also their "AMG all the things" approach the last several years as well as creating ever cheaper entry level vehicles to woo badge-whores.

To me a rebranded pickup is totally in line with this philosophy. Why feed a dog top sirloin when it can't tell the difference from ground chuck?

Only a fool would feed their dog ground chuck. Why not used processed chicken bone dry dog food?

Only a fool would feed their dog ground chuck. Why not used processed chicken bone dry dog food?
It was an analogy. I could have said filet mignon and bologna, but nobody with a brain would feed a dog either of those.

The abuse of the AMG brand is a terrible long term strategy. I would be livid if I bought a C63 AMG only to see the streets littered with housewives in faux AMG 43's. That might get some short term sales spikes, but it's going to cheapen the badge and piss off loyalists.

BMW and Audi are doing it too, but not so blatantly. Is nothing sacred?

Mercedes is soup bone quality sold at filet mignon prices to those who think high price = quality.

I think Mercedes already cheapened their brand with those ugly entry-level cars

That doesnt look like its based on the frontier, are you sure? Shitty former frontier owner checking in.

Mercedes is soup bone quality sold at filet mignon prices to those who think high price = quality.
the "me too" models, yes. But their best cars are competitive with the best in the world.
cxgnbnraxxx3ekrhmwoz.jpg

fmybfednkidqjhxto52f.jpg

nqi87qlna5ippuhkvpmo.jpg

youre not gonna find this level of quality and high end materials in any car in its price range. For comparison, this is the current Maserati Quatrroporte interior:
2014-maserati-quattroporte-interior-photo-498995-s-1280x782.jpg

Pickups are very popular in the US and thus major brand advertising. It looks like Japanese or US small pickup, and not like a German product. The G-wagon pickup actually looks like something MB would make.

I think MB should have made a ground-up new Pickup or brought in the utilitarian G-wagon pickup to the US, which is comparable to the Landcruiser pickup.

A Nissan truck, you say? What does Infiniti have to say about this?

the "me too" models, yes. But their best cars are competitive with the best in the world.
cxgnbnraxxx3ekrhmwoz.jpg

fmybfednkidqjhxto52f.jpg

nqi87qlna5ippuhkvpmo.jpg

youre not gonna find this level of quality and high end materials in any car in its price range. For comparison, this is the current Maserati Quatrroporte interior:
2014-maserati-quattroporte-interior-photo-498995-s-1280x782.jpg

Remember these?
TC.jpg

Nissan 4.0 VQ is a monster of a V6 though guzzles gas but reliable and powerful.

Nissan does cheap out on interior and paint though..

Back