Mcd not big in Nam, how about your area?

ElKarlo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Pretty interesting , mcd and BK haven't done well at all in Vietnam. Everywhere else in East Asia, they've done pretty well.
In Japan mcd is huge. It's basically everywhere and the most powerful fast-food chain by far. Sure some beef bowl chains may have more locations, but like subway they don't out sell McDonald's.
KFC is also big in Japan. It's also oddly kinda nicer her than the US.
What fast-food chain is the big guy in your area?

Also Starbucks is killing it in Japan

McDonalds didn't have a big presence in China when I was there in the mid 00', I'd guessing because there isn't a strong beef eating culture? KFC on the other hand were pretty common to the degree I wouldn't be surprised if its there biggest market now.

The kind of intensive farming you get in east asia is obviously not well suited to cattle compared to pigs, ducks, chickens, etc.

McDonalds didn't have a big presence in China when I was there in the mid 00', I'd guessing because there isn't a strong beef eating culture? KFC on the other hand were pretty common to the degree I wouldn't be surprised if its there biggest market now.

The kind of intensive farming you get in east asia is obviously not well suited to cattle compared to pigs, ducks, chickens, etc.
Yeah Def harder to raise cows. Esp since they use almost every available arable acre. Guess you gotta hit Mongolia for the beef.

Seems Asians or Vietnamese like the family pot style meals.

In China what was there chain wise in 2000?
But yeah KFC seems huge in China, they Def won that game

There is an outlet very near where I live that opens 24hrs on Fridays and weekends. I always smh when I passby and see how packed they are at 1am+.

EDIT:
Read through other comments after my initial post. Noticed you mentioned KFC. It's losing to Mac for sure here in Singapore. I've seen at least 5 stalls close down. Haven't seen a Mac close.

McD is at best stagnant here. I haven't seen a new one in years. Its all about chicfila, chipotle, and made to order salad places

A lot of good fast food restaurants have died face down in the muck in Vietnam

Title should be why US burger chains fail in Nam because Jollibee has over 100 stores there and is 3rd right behind Pizza Hut and KFC.

blogger-image--1808354206.jpg

When I was in Vietnam in 2007 I don’t think I saw any McDonald’s but plenty of KFCs around.

McD is at best stagnant here. I haven't seen a new one in years. Its all about chicfila, chipotle, and made to order salad places
Honestly Don't get the salad places. That's like ok one time and I'm done.
Not a huge McDonald's fan, but it's consistent and gives you a decent bang for your buck.

How is Chipotle doing ? They ever recover sales from that scandal?

Title should be why US burger chains fail in Nam because Jollibee has over 100 stores there and is 3rd right behind Pizza Hut and KFC.

blogger-image--1808354206.jpg
Haha jollibee is so weird. I can't do ketchup sauce on spaghetti. Don't see how or why it's popular

Honestly Don't get the salad places. That's like ok one time and I'm done.
Not a huge McDonald's fan, but it's consistent and gives you a decent bang for your buck.

How is Chipotle doing ? They ever recover sales from that scandal?
I can't see anything stopping chipotle, they are popping up everywhere

I can't see anything stopping chipotle, they are popping up everywhere
Really? That was the case in the DC area 15 years ago. Thought the fad ended and like Starbucks got overstaturated.
Wow that's surprising

LMAO at getting McD's anywhere outside NA.
I've been in them outside the US. They usually have a few different menu items, like curry in the UK, but the McStink (i.e. the odor of all McD's) is the same everywhere.

It’s news to me that McDonalds would even bother to go to Vietnam

<Fedor23>

I've been in them outside the US. They usually have a few different menu items, like curry in the UK, but the McStink (i.e. the odor of all McD's) is the same everywhere.

You can get a beer at McDonalds too outside of the US..

giphy.gif

Back