Mayweather/McGregor Discussion

Who wins?

• Total voters
Nate Diaz ( low level pro-boxing/high level amateur boxing and McGregor was even, and 1st fight he got clipped and almost finished in standup)
Max Holloway (high level amateur/low level pro boxing)

wait, what? holloway and diaz are high level amateur boxers? neither one of them would make it through the first round of a regional tournament, they get slaughtered by actual high level amateurs weighing 120lbs.

the only disadvantage for floyd is his age. he's 40, professional boxers rarely look good at 40. but this is arguably the best boxer of his generation, and conor is a fucking nobody in boxing, at any level.

this fight is a travesty.

wait, what? holloway and diaz are high level amateur boxers? neither one of them would make it through the first round of a regional tournament, they get slaughtered by actual high level amateurs weighing 120lbs.

I would like you to back up this statement.
They handily beat up guys standing up who have some boxing training, so I will give them a shot of being high level amateurs. Certainly can take a punch and have KO power.

Nate Diaz spars with Andre Ward on a regular basis.

They handily beat up guys standing up who have some boxing training, so I will give them a shot of being high level amateurs. Certainly can take a punch and have KO power.

They would be beaten by amateurs. Diaz included.

High level amateurs are pro world champions about 4 years after turning pro.
For examples of this see errr Floyd Mayweather, Olympic bronze in 1996 and WBC belt holder in 1998 (lighter weights seem to do it a little quicker).

When high level amateurs turn pro they invariably win their first fight so they're already better than low level pros as they (almost) always beat them.

I get the point of referring to MMA fighters in these terms to try and rank their boxing skill but it really makes no sense.

high level amateurs win international amateur competitions. the top guys win amateur world championships and olympic medals. have you ever seen those guys box? nate diaz would get knocked the fuck out in the first round, by anyone who's ever boxed at the olympics.

i love nate, he'll always have a special place in my heart for bitchslapping and strangling that prick, but let's be real here. he has no speed, he has no power, and his technique is absolute shyte. he's effective because of his endurance and ability to take punishment, he overwhelms guys with volume. but it's volume of crap against guys who can't box either.

ward and diaz are friends, i'm sure they spar occasionally, but if you believe nate diaz has an actual place in ward's camp, you're delusional. there are levels to boxing, and diaz doesn't even register on the scale.

i think the problem here is what you consider high level amateur boxing. it doesn't mean guys who do this for a hobby, they are professionals in every sense of the word except payment. "amateur" in boxing does not translate to a lower level of technique, it's a form of competition. and guys that are truly high level in amateur boxing will beat the breaks off of almost anyone in the world.

High level amateur was Lomachenko a few years ago.
Max Holloway is not high level. No one in the UFC is

I was seeing replays of Floyd's fights, the big punchers he fought, guys who are very technically proper and accurate. Best of the best and they couldn't really put Mayweather in trouble, except maybe Moseley, who still got an asswhooping after catching Floyd.

McGregor's best striking accomplishments were against:

Jose Aldo (amateur level boxing)
Eddie Alvarez (amateur level boxing)
Nate Diaz ( low level pro-boxing/high level amateur boxing and McGregor was even, and 1st fight he got clipped and almost finished in standup)
Money Mendez (amateur level boxing)
Dennis Siver (below amateur level boxing)
Max Holloway (high level amateur/low level pro boxing)

Needless to say, this in no way compares to:

Paquiao
Canelo Alvarez
Shane Mosley
Marquez
or even Arturo Gatti (arturo gatti was a better boxer than anyone Conor has ever faced).

So, it's looking bleak, but Conor still would have than 1% chance to clip him in the 1st or 2nd round if he does something strange and catches Floyd with something he's never

You're an idiot. Stay out of the boxing forum. Mcgregor has more than a slim chance of landing a good shot and knocking Mayweather out with his superior firepower, range, and awkward style. Like Marvin Hagler said, "Most people don't know shit about boxing."

Sorry, nate Diaz is a high level amateur what? Pr0n star?

high level amateurs win international amateur competitions. the top guys win amateur world championships and olympic medals. have you ever seen those guys box? nate diaz would get knocked the fuck out in the first round, by anyone who's ever boxed at the olympics.

i love nate, he'll always have a special place in my heart for bitchslapping and strangling that prick, but let's be real here. he has no speed, he has no power, and his technique is absolute shyte. he's effective because of his endurance and ability to take punishment, he overwhelms guys with volume. but it's volume of crap against guys who can't box either.

ward and diaz are friends, i'm sure they spar occasionally, but if you believe nate diaz has an actual place in ward's camp, you're delusional. there are levels to boxing, and diaz doesn't even register on the scale.

i think the problem here is what you consider high level amateur boxing. it doesn't mean guys who do this for a hobby, they are professionals in every sense of the word except payment. "amateur" in boxing does not translate to a lower level of technique, it's a form of competition. and guys that are truly high level in amateur boxing will beat the breaks off of almost anyone in the world.

Agree

Conor is a great fighter and would beat many boxers in real life situations

But boxing is a sport with its own peculiarities. It takes years to master. Things that are great in a "real" fight may get you killed in boxing and vice versa

How come so many people do not realise this

Agree

Conor is a great fighter and would beat many boxers in real life situations

But boxing is a sport with its own peculiarities. It takes years to master. Things that are great in a "real" fight may get you killed in boxing and vice versa

How come so many people do not realise this
Lol, he couldn't out box Nate Diaz.

No

Here is a video of Ward sparring with Nate Diaz.

McG wins this easy he is a southpaw and big
bang,bang bang that straight left beats the shoulder roll. he will hit floyd like mosley, while boxing like castillo and maidana, plus he is a south paw like pacquiao its a wrap.

rounds 1-6 floyd does his tango step shit avoiding a a fight any way he can. then bam McG finds him and it is like a light in a dark room that shit just enlightens all these money fans and they come over to the MMA side

theyre not. Its pretty obvious just with the eye test

LOL @eyetest. You have no idea how a great boxer would throw in an MMA fight, so there is very little correlation. Unless you can detect speed of relfexes and punch speed too, it's just your opinion with very little basis.

Boxing fans' claims that ALL high level MMA fighter aren't even up to amateur high level is laughable. And you don't have any basis for that.
Yes there is a basis for that, youre simply talking from your ass. You dont know what high level amateur is. Its an incredibly hard level to reach and very few do.

LOL @eyetest. You have no idea how a great boxer would throw in an MMA fight, so there is very little correlation. Unless you can detect speed of relfexes and punch speed too, it's just your opinion with very little basis.

no there is alot of evidence of shitty boxing. There has been one person who has displayed somewhat decent boxing bj penn.

If you know boxing then you watch mma you can clearly see how horrible they are

sorry you cant tell

Back