Max Kellerman saying Pacquiao the greatest of this era

pompyang2.gif

I agree with Max, the fighters they fought and at what point in their careers they fought them is my reasoning, one head to head win when they are late thirties doesn't change my mind.

Never, his fights were boring and lacked and type of intrigue. Mostly because he was just so far ahead of his competition and was risk averse so his fights lacked drama. Hard to penalize him when he was winning though, that's the goal.

He was in some good fights. The Cotto fight was excellent. The Hatton fight was ugly but entertaining. No one can say the Ortiz fight wasn't entertaining in its absurdity.

He was in some good fights. The Cotto fight was excellent. The Hatton fight was ugly but entertaining. No one can say the Ortiz fight wasn't entertaining in its absurdity.
I meant mostly as being the underdog. I can actually appreciate a defensive style and some of my favorites were pure boxers. If you are in 10 pick em fights and are undefeated that's a great feat. If you win ten as a 3 or 4 or 5 to 1 favorite then it isn't as impressive to me.

Floyd fought better versions of both.
I completely disagree with this. Used to argue with a friend that said Floyd ruined them so that's why tiny Manny beat them more impressively. I don't think he has that type of style. George Foreman could ruin a guy and make him pee blood for a week. Floyd could embarrass the heck out of you, but ruin you, nah.

I was talking to nac about this the other day. I think the fact that Floyd KOed Hatton showed he was sliding fast.

I was talking to nac about this the other day. I think the fact that Floyd KOed Hatton showed he was sliding fast.
All the drinking didn't help, but it's not like he was at his peak against Mayweather and rock bottom for Pacquiao. He was basically the same fighter with maybe less confidence.

All the drinking didn't help, but it's not like he was at his peak against Mayweather and rock bottom for Pacquiao. He was basically the same fighter with maybe less confidence.
It's definitely true 140 was his best weight. But neither fought the best version of Hatton.

hmmm i guess you could say pac was the most decorated and had the best resume, but floyd is the most skilled of our era

How about fights against Marquez?

Great fights. I'll go back and watch all of those fights between Marquez and Pac. I think that immortalizes Pac in a way that Mayweather's snore against Marquez won't. Pac also did things to Marquez that Mayweather didn't/wouldn't. Broke his nose, knocked him down numerous times. Yeah Pac got smoked by that right hand from hell, and there'll always be that rebuttal. No one can take a 49-0 away from Mayweather, truly a risk-averse tactician (frankly, as a someone who boxes, I stylistically lean toward that more than the devil-may-care, risk-encouraging styles, so I appreciate the method), but also that style invites its own special criticism in a way that losses on a resume also do.

Great fights. I'll go back and watch all of those fights between Marquez and Pac. I think that immortalizes Pac in a way that Mayweather's snore against Marquez won't. Pac also did things to Marquez that Mayweather didn't/wouldn't. Broke his nose, knocked him down numerous times. Yeah Pac got smoked by that right hand from hell, and there'll always be that rebuttal. No one can take a 49-0 away from Mayweather, truly a risk-averse tactician (frankly, as a someone who boxes, I stylistically lean toward that more than the devil-may-care, risk-encouraging styles, so I appreciate the method), but also that style invites its own special criticism in a way that losses on a resume also do.
I'd much rather watch pacquiao fighting Marquez than mayweather Marquez. Totally different animals. I saw mayweather Marquez and haven't watched it again, I've seen the pacquiao fights multiple times.

If Clottey ran his mouth and went 49-0, would he be remembered similarly to Mayweather?
This win and against Margarito are two of his most impressive for me. Big guys that were pushing guys around and little Manny took them to school. The type of risky fights I wanted Floyd to take but he would play it safe and make it hard for me to spend the money on a PPV.

I guess what I meant was that I never went into a Floyd fight thinking he would lose, or ever come close to losing. It was always a forgone conclusion. In that way, it lacked intrigue to me. He was just that much better than his opposition.

Losses matter in other sports.

In other sports, whether or not losses matter is often contextual. It happens every season in many sports that a win or a loss in a particular game matters so little that most of the star players for one team use that game to rest up. It also happens in other sports that being undefeated can be overrated (yeah 1972 Dolphins, I'm looking at you).

If Clottey ran his mouth and went 49-0, would he be remembered similarly to Mayweather?

That's a weird question. Honestly, an interesting question, though. A dominant Ghanaian champion. Nelson already had it, but that's all. I think Dick Tiger was Nigerian.

I guess what I meant was that I never went into a Floyd fight thinking he would lose, or ever come close to losing. It was always a forgone conclusion. In that way, it lacked intrigue to me. He was just that much better than his opposition.
Yes, but there were fights he could have taken that would have been more interesting. It's not like Roy who fought who was around but there was just a dearth of talent.

I completely disagree with this. Used to argue with a friend that said Floyd ruined them so that's why tiny Manny beat them more impressively. I don't think he has that type of style. George Foreman could ruin a guy and make him pee blood for a week. Floyd could embarrass the heck out of you, but ruin you, nah.

Oscar was dead at the weight. There is no question from anyone that Mayweather beat the better Oscar (although, Manny obviously beat his corpse worse). Hatton was fine against both. Pac would beat him down at any weight. Mayweather would, as well. Pac would pretty much always do it faster. Doesn't make Pac the better fighter, though. Chavez KO'd a lot of guys Whitaker decisioned. Whitaker was still clearly the better fighter.

Back