Media Max Holloway to Joe Rogan about Gaethje-fight: “I don’t how that didn’t count as a Knockdown”

Was it a Knockdown?

• Total voters
That's not a knocked down..

This is

max-holloway-justin-gaethje.gif

I thought the standard was any part of your body that isn't your feet hitting the ground that wasn't a slip, like your hand or your ass, but Khabib dropping Conor didn't count as a knockdown either, even though his hand and knee were on the ground as he scurried away. I guess it doesn't really matter because it's just a silly stat that doesn't change that they were knockdowns.

It's possible they thought Max's was a slip because he popped up so quickly.

this is the same shit i say about everyone hyping the stupid fuckin punch machine. why are you letting a fucking robot dictate what you think? that shit was a knockdown in ANY combat sport. i don't need their fuckin AI stat reader to tell me that.

You doin ok bro?

He definitely got rocked but I can't remember if he actually got sat all the way down, or if he kind of braced himself with one hand on the ground.

I know he seemed to recover super quick. Dude has an adamantium chin.

The UFC's stats regarding knockdowns, submission attempts, and sometimes even takedowns are totally inscrutable. I wouldn't put too much stock into them.

That was a knockdown in my book. I've always felt like it was pretty simple: if a fighter was rendered a "downed fighter" (by the regulations of any venue the UFC regularly visits) as a direct result of a concussive blow (i.e. not a slip or being off-balance at the time they are struck)... even for a split second... then it's a knockdown. Bracing with a hand or two and springing back up? Knockdown. Dropping to a knee and popping back up? Still a knockdown. Knocked flat on your ass? Yeah, knockdown.

Last edited:
It is what it is, whether the stats say whatever, someone can post gifs here if it's a relevant fight to look back at. I guess I am not too worried if the official stats are a little off, 99% of the time its right.

Need a gif or a video to really say.

Certainly in a practical sense it was. I'm guessing it is somewhat based on boxing where if your knee or ass touch the the ground it is a knockdown. So technically, that one may have slipped through the cracks.

Also, in boxing if your hand touches the floor it would be a knockdown, but because of the grappling aspect in MMA it probably isn't the same case.

EDIT: I'm looking at a still shot of max on the ground. Not sure if that is how he got there, but he is totally flat on his ass, and it should count as a down if it was right after he got punched.

I thought the standard was any part of your body that isn't your feet hitting the ground that wasn't a slip, like your hand or your ass, but Khabib dropping Conor didn't count as a knockdown either, even though his hand and knee were on the ground as he scurried away. I guess it doesn't really matter because it's just a silly stat that doesn't change that they were knockdowns.

It's possible they thought Max's was a slip because he popped up so quickly.

Holloway also "knocked down." Mcgregor with a high kick. Similar motion to when Conor was dropped by Khabib. Gaethje clearly knocked Holloway down, but he recovered quick.

Who cares if it was a knockdown or not? It didn't matter in the end.

Some of the stats are just dumb. The same thing happens with takedowns. A guy gets taken down but gets up relatively quickly then at the end of the round the commentary team says that officially there was no takedown... when we all saw the takedown. At the end of the day, it's doesn't really matter since Max ended up winning by KO but yeah, it was a legit knockdown. Max being a BMF acknowledges it.

Back