Masakatsu Funaki??

Co-founder of Pancrase, one of 11 men to fight Rickson, a former King of Pancrase, supported all the Pancrase guys like Delucia and Ken when they fought in the UFC, so respected that Saku wouldn't hit him in the head during their fight, just a pure legend.

Great post.

Still, dunno why people dismiss the Rei Zulu fights...

Worked the fans/media into believing that Pancrase was legit, when it was a pro wrestling company.
dd7168df89a6abb5e82966d06a51bd57.jpg

His MMA fights were plays of suicide. Both socially/physically.

I was assuming that he was either bipolar or schizophrenic person that
never shows his true emotions towards anyone or anything. Frank Shamrock
might have been a victim of relationship with him in terms of having developed
weird characteristics.

Buy "Shooters: The Toughest Men in Professional Wrestling" and tell me if you feel the same way after you read it.

I'll be expecting my apology when you're finished.

So all of Pancrase was work? I just dont see it.

So all of Pancrase was work? I just dont see it.

Never said it was all a work. In the book it goes into details about how fighters were built up and how some didn't know when their fights were worked or not.

Never said it was all a work. In the book it goes into details about how fighters were built up and how some didn't know when their fights were worked or not.
so like all of mma back then.

Great post.

Still, dunno why people dismiss the Rei Zulu fights...

Because Rei Zulu had zero ground game, he was a street fighter boasting a record of 140-0 or something like that
(likely no more legit than Rickson's 400-0... well 400-1 thanks to Ron Tripp, who used to drive Gracie fanboys made back in the days) and was a legit tough guy.
And both Zulu fight were boring as hell, with Rickson laying on top of Zulu for lengthy periods of time.

But Funaki was a complete and legit fighter, who fought a lot of tough opposition; one of the first legit Japanese MMA fighters.

Also, while we're talking about Rei Zulu, does anyone knows how he fars there days?
Last I've heard of him, he was living in a backward village with no electricity and his only mean to make money was by taking beatings from young Brazilian fighters so they can say "yeah I beat up the legendary Zulu"

Ninja & Shogun also talked about him and how they hope Zuluzinho can be successful in MMA so he can support his father financially, but that was not to be.

And now I'm also wondering how the son is doing, 7 years since his last fight damn... any recent photos/anecdotes guyz?

Because D boasting a record of 140-0 or something like that
(likely no more legit than Rickson's 400-0... well 400-1 thanks to Ron Tripp, who used to drive Gracie fanboys made back in the days) and was a legit tough guy.
And both Zulu fight were boring as hell, with Rickson laying on top of Zulu for lengthy periods of time.

But Funaki was a complete and legit fighter, who fought a lot of tough opposition; one of the first legit Japanese MMA fighters.

Also, while we're talking about Rei Zulu, does anyone knows how he fars there days?
Last I've heard of him, he was living in a backward village with no electricity and his only mean to make money was by taking beatings from young Brazilian fighters so they can say "yeah I beat up the legendary Zulu"

Ninja & Shogun also talked about him and how they hope Zuluzinho can be successful in MMA so he can support his father financially, but that was not to be.

And now I'm also wondering how the son is doing, 7 years since his last fight damn... any recent photos/anecdotes guyz?

Hmmm..

"Rei Zulu had zero ground game, he was a street fighter."

"with Rickson laying on top of Zulu for lengthy periods of time."

u sure u do know what ure talkin about?

so like all of mma back then.

Or now.

It's an interesting read. Particularly that section. Fighters like Frank Shamrock, Bas and Jason Delucia provide some insight, but are careful with what they reveal.

Or now.

It's an interesting read. Particularly that section. Fighters like Frank Shamrock, Bas and Jason Delucia provide some insight, but are careful with what they reveal.
Yeahhh.. SOME fights were fixed.. Big news. Unique in the History of Sports...

Boxing/soccer... etc... all have been "pure"

Back