Martinez vs Murray April 27

Comparing Williams to Hearns is a joke.

he's not comparing Williams to Hearns like that. He's using Hearns as an example of another tall guy who cut weight.

This is a ridiculous argument. If you make the weight you deserve to fight in whatever weight class you want. Boxers get demoted if people think they're too tall e.g Wlad and Vitali. It's actually as if there's almost a jealousy against taller fighters - the you only win cos you're big argument.

Its silly to say, the man who beat Mitchell, Margarito, Wright, Martinez( i will throw in, the 25-0 at the time, Matthysses' older brother Walter. :cool:), and who avenged his loss to Quintana in commanding fashion is anything other a Top fighter. Yes he lost a few but so have many fighter who have run, at least on paper, the type of gauntlet he ran. His opposition from 12/02/2005 had a combined record of 413-38. That is stout anyway you shake it.

This is the guy who's career was cut short at age 30. Dont say he was shot after Lara, he boxed the pants off Ishida seven month later. How many other 'good" wins would he pick up? We will never know.

The guy could fight. Not in the most pure of styles but not a style never seen before. He had the physical and mental gifts to pull off such a demanding way to box. Some may not like his style but he won fights. Last i heard that is the name of the game..............................................................................

He could fight. He couldn't box.

What sport is this we're talking about?

he's not comparing Williams to Hearns like that. He's using Hearns as an example of another tall guy who cut weight.

This is a ridiculous argument. If you make the weight you deserve to fight in whatever weight class you want. Boxers get demoted if people think they're too tall e.g Wlad and Vitali. It's actually as if there's almost a jealousy against taller fighters - the you only win cos you're big argument.

I don't understand why this is even a debate. making weight is making weight.

If being tall was all there was to being a good fighter, then we would see the average height of pro boxers going up and up. I see no evidence of that.

Exactly, it's a competitive sport, you should use every advantage possible. If you can get down to a weight comfortably, you are more than welcome to do that. Just like Hearns and many other fighters.

The worst part of this argument is that Williams used to walk around at 160-165lbs, just like Guerrero, Ortiz, Cotto. In terms of weight, he was technically an average sized middleweight.

He could fight. He couldn't box.

What sport is this we're talking about?

So fighters don't make it in this sport huh? Why was he world champion and P4P ranked? Why did Margarito have so much success? Your argument is flawed on so many levels. Not to mention he could actually box, what your saying is beyond hyperbole. He was an average boxer (He would still out box journeymen) and a very good and tough fighter. The evidence is completely against you. Fighters are ranked on what they achieve, ranking a fighter low because you don't like the way he fights is the definition of bias.

I don't care that Williams fought at 147. I just find it interesting how less effective he was 7 pounds north.

Exactly, it's a competitive sport, you should use every advantage possible. If you can get down to a weight comfortably, you are more than welcome to do that. Just like Hearns and many other fighters.

The worst part of this argument is that Williams used to walk around at 160-165lbs, just like Guerrero, Ortiz, Cotto. In terms of weight, he was technically an average sized middleweight.

So fighters don't make it in this sport huh? Why was he world champion and P4P ranked? Why did Margarito have so much success? Your argument is flawed on so many levels. Not to mention he could actually box, what your saying is beyond hyperbole. He was an average boxer (He would still out box journeymen) and a very good and tough fighter. The evidence is completely against you. Fighters are ranked on what they achieve, ranking a fighter low because you don't like the way he fights is the definition of bias.

Margarito had much better technique than Williams.

Yet Williams beat on him.

Reason for that? He was the better all round fighter in that ring. Margarito was just as big as Williams. If Williams was so terrible, how did he beat the fighter with 'much better technique' who was the same size? Too many contradictions in your argument.

I wouldn't seriously call any boxer terrible, but surely if you are comparing boxer to boxer, a terrible boxer would be the guys who Williams beat down, the guys who have barely won a fight etc.

Margarito was smaller.

edit- been a while since I saw that fight. Shit, Williams makes Tony look like a master counter puncher and defensive wiz.

Who won the fight between them? You love this stuff.

Margarito re hydrates to around 165-170 pounds, the weight difference is not significant. They both made the same weight, they both fight at that weight, simple as that. The man you call terrible, was the better man, what does that make Margarito?

No point in bitching about Williams size, if he can make that weight, then fair play to him. That's who is as a fighter. Listen to what everyone is telling you regarding this point.

Margarito re hydrates to around 165-170 pounds, the weight difference is not significant. They both made the same weight, they both fight at that weight, simple as that. The man you call terrible, was the better man, what does that make Margarito?

No point in bitching about Williams size, if he can make that weight, then fair play to him. That's who is as a fighter. Listen to what everyone is telling you regarding this point.

I already said I didn't care that he fought at 147. Just that it was interesting how ineffective he was 7 pounds heavier.

Margarito was smaller.

edit- been a while since I saw that fight. Shit, Williams makes Tony look like a master counter puncher and defensive wiz.

I forgot how entertaining that fight actually is.

I don't think he even earned a draw against Sturm. I'm not convinced that there wasn't an element of the judges having the "controversial" Macklin fight in mind.

And no, Seano, he has no chance. He's tough, and he might have the chin to stay for the distance - hard to say as he hasn't fought anyone that can hit with the power and precision of Sergio - but he doesn't have the power to hurt Sergio. He's got a size advantage, I think, but Sergio will have no problems getting past his jab. He doesn't have the speed of hand to really trouble Sergio either.

Sexy Sergio should win inside the distance. After 4 or 5 rounds he'll begin to run away with it on the scorecard while wearing Murray down. Stops him around the 9th. Earlier if Murray ends up chasing the fight and walks into shots.

When nuttthugging goes wrong.

Lol i see what you did there. I thought I came into this thread to talk about the fights.

BTW I had sergio by one point. Some rounds murray gave away. sergio was a little more active. Was a very close call but murray didnt win.

Lol i see what you did there. I thought I came into this thread to talk about the fights.

BTW I had sergio by one point. Some rounds murray gave away. sergio was a little more active. Was a very close call but murray didnt win.

If that 1 knockdown would've been counted it would've been a draw and I agree Murray kinda took his foot off the gas at times and gave a few rounds away after getting the better of Martinez.

I think I also had Sergio by a round in this fight. Murray blew it in round 12.

Back