Man dies of 'projectile wound of the head' after vape pen explodes

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/05/16/man-dies-projectile-wound-head-after-vape-pen-explodes.html

A 38-year-old Florida man was killed when the vape pen he was using exploded, launching two pieces of the object into his head. Tallmadge “Wake” D’Elia’s official cause of death, which is the first e-cigarette fatality in the U.S., was listed as “projectile wound of the head” and ruled accidental.

D’Elia, who died on May 5, also suffered burns on nearly 80 percent of his body, The Tampa Bay Times reported. Firefighters discovered him in an upstairs bedroom at the St. Petersburg home after responding to a fire alarm. At the time of his death, D’Elia was using a “mod” type of Smok-E Mountain Mech Works pen that was manufactured in the Philippines.

While the exact circumstances surrounding the explosion are unknown, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises against carrying e-cig batteries loose in pockets to avoid coming in contact with coins, keys or metal objects. It also recommends charging the device on a flat surface away from anything that can catch fire, and to avoid charging it while sleeping or leaving it unattended.

These things are known to spontaneously explode without warning because of the batteries. I'd be weary next time I stand next to one of these guys, but then again the devices are completely hidden most of the time. It's like standing next to a suicide bomber.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/05/16/man-dies-projectile-wound-head-after-vape-pen-explodes.html

These things are known to spontaneously explode without warning because of the batteries. I'd be weary next time I stand next to one of these guys, but then again the devices are completely hidden most of the time. It's like standing next to a suicide bomber.

Lol.. Smoke E - Mountain!!!!

Smokey Mountain is a former open pit garbage disposal site in the heart of Manila back in the 80s.

One should know he is smoking shit if its named after a dump site! Lol.

horrible way to go man

its trendy to hate one ecigs these days but I feel really bad for the dude. Ive used them in the past but being scared of something like that is the exact reason I stopped. You cant leave those things in your car or they will exploded.

I find it weird how the new thing is to call ecig users gay. Like shit, people are just trying to be healthier. I'd rather smell vape juice than cigarette smoke that is going to stain my clothes just from walking through it.

How big the explosion could be to cause 80% burns?

Curious as to his setup/condition/wtf he was doing with it prior.

You can have my dab pen when you can pry it from my cold dead ha.....

[<dunn]

The vape pen was just trying to get home to his family

What sort of crazy shit was he using to cause that much damage. Maybe stick to matches and a joint.

What if these things were manufactured to be weapons for use against Americans? Just like the exploding washing machines.

Wow that is freaking scary :eek: srsly

crazy way to go out. that's like a Final Destination scenario.

I’ll take my money and put it on the battery that actually exploded.

Back