Making games these days its getting more and more expensive due to graphical advancement

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Back in the day, 17-20 years ago you had squarish characters, textures with 256 colours. Design was fast, physics were simple and game stood at the same price they are standing now $40-60

c7185590cf634773b4d56490e26aec1e.jpg

Today, you got almost realistic graphics and shitload of work put to make a character, object, yet a single map

Wolfenstein-The-New-Order-5-1280x543.jpg

People complain they want decent content, more than 10 hours of play and so on. Ok but are you willing to fork out $100 for a single game?

Major games sold less units back in the days and the profits on AAA games these days is bigger than that on blockbuster films.

I can't speak for the entire game design process, BUT. I've been a modeler for almost two decades and use 3d visualization as part of my daily profession. This idea that "games cost so much more to make and require so much more resources / time" is absolute, fucking, bullshit. I don't buy it for a second. It's SOOOOO much easier to go from concept, to model, to engine now than it was in the 90's. The learning curve and pipelines are exponentially more friendly. The tools now are amazing. And as stated above, the market is much more far reaching and hits many more demographics than even a decade ago. It's publishers price gouging and stripping content for DLC.....and it's fucking gross.

I can't speak for the entire game design process, BUT. I've been a modeler for almost two decades and use 3d visualization as part of my daily profession. This idea that "games cost so much more to make and require so much more resources / time" is absolute, fucking, bullshit. I don't buy it for a second. It's SOOOOO much easier to go from concept, to model, to engine now than it was in the 90's. The learning curve and pipelines are exponentially more friendly. The tools now are amazing. And as stated above, the market is much more far reaching and hits many more demographics than even a decade ago. It's publishers price gouging and stripping content for DLC.....and it's fucking gross.
This and how much they pay out to promote/shill their shit. You can't tell me spending money to get Kobe or Jonah Hill to do a COD commercial or getting space on various networks,websites and publications comes cheap.

Back then, indie games were non-existent but now small teams can have a real shot at making a successful game. Total outliers but look at Rocket League and Minecraft. As noted by the other scholarly and gentlemanly posters above, the install/consumer base is massive compared to 20 years ago and a huge chunk of game development goes to marketing. Marketing is definitely needed because some good to great games don't do as well as they should without a decent push. I'm not a programmer or game designer but afaik, there were no free or cheap tools to make games like there are now.

Maybe read the list of credits at the end of an AAA game. It's not one dude working and 505 playing WoW. Your tools are easier but the worlds are 100x bigger.

I expected the cost of games to go up to $80 this generation and am surprised it didn't.

Back in the day, 17-20 years ago you had squarish characters, textures with 256 colours. Design was fast, physics were simple and game stood at the same price they are standing now $40-60

Today, you got almost realistic graphics and shitload of work put to make a character, object, yet a single map

People complain they want decent content, more than 10 hours of play and so on. Ok but are you willing to fork out $100 for a single game?
"Fallout"

Successful studios are growing by leaps and bounds. That in itself would drive up costs. Just watch any making of and these massive teams of hundreds of people are working insane hours down to the absolute deadline to get a game shipped.

How is it price gouging when game costs have remained constant for almost 30 years? Built in and locked DLC is bullshit but I have no problem paying an extra $10-15 for DLC that someone like From Software puts out.

16 years ago games hit $50/each with the release of Xbox. So how were games $60 20 years ago?

A few games and the ones that came with an expansion pack were the only ones at that price. It wasn't the regular price.
eTAE3UK.jpg

Game prices haven't changed much in over 20 years.

See The Witcher 3. Unbelievable graphics. 100+ hours of content. Superb storyline, etc. etc..

Game companies are not hurting for money. Also see Steam with countless indie games that are popping up that are on par with mult-billion dollar companies.

Not the first time I've been wrong but I remember things far different.
PSX games were generally cheaper than cartridge but still about $50 for a new one.

PSX games were generally cheaper than cartridge but still about $50 for a new one.
I guess I spent every dime on games back then because I had almost every game that came out, even aquaman and superman 64.

I guess I spent every dime on games back then because I had almost every game that came out, even aquaman and superman 64.
<6>

eTAE3UK.jpg

Game prices haven't changed much in over 20 years.
To be fair, Toys 'R' Us always overcharged for shit. I think Funco/Gamestop was a bit cheaper than them, but that was 20 years ago.

At this point I'd prefer to spend more on the consoles if it meant better hardware.

I really should just become a PC gamer at this point.

Back