Making games these days its getting more and more expensive due to graphical advancement

There was physics in Wolfenstein?

I can't speak for the entire game design process, BUT. I've been a modeler for almost two decades and use 3d visualization as part of my daily profession. This idea that "games cost so much more to make and require so much more resources / time" is absolute, fucking, bullshit. I don't buy it for a second. It's SOOOOO much easier to go from concept, to model, to engine now than it was in the 90's. The learning curve and pipelines are exponentially more friendly. The tools now are amazing. And as stated above, the market is much more far reaching and hits many more demographics than even a decade ago. It's publishers price gouging and stripping content for DLC.....and it's fucking gross.

THIS.

Back then, indie games were non-existent but now small teams can have a real shot at making a successful game. Total outliers but look at Rocket League and Minecraft. As noted by the other scholarly and gentlemanly posters above, the install/consumer base is massive compared to 20 years ago and a huge chunk of game development goes to marketing. Marketing is definitely needed because some good to great games don't do as well as they should without a decent push. I'm not a programmer or game designer but afaik, there were no free or cheap tools to make games like there are now.
Actually, I would argue that back then, most of the game devs were more like indie devs of today. A small team or even a single guy could do all the programming alone. Maybe even music and graphics.

Credits for the Wolfenstein 3D:
Chief Operating Officer:
Jay Wilbur
Programming:
Jason Blochowiak, John Carmack, John Romero
Graphics / Artwork:
Adrian Carmack
Documentation:
Kevin Cloud
Director:
Tom A. Hall
Music:
Robert Prince
Cover Illustration:
Ken Rieger, Julie Bell

programming, music and graphics: 5 guys.

To prove how hard it was to make games back in the day I bring you Chex quest(I actually loved this game)

Undertale?

1498062153360967572.jpg

Back in the day you also had to spend time play testing a game. You did not have the ability to put out patches later on.

Actually, I would argue that back then, most of the game devs were more like indie devs of today. A small team or even a single guy could do all the programming alone. Maybe even music and graphics.

Credits for the Wolfenstein 3D:

programming, music and graphics: 5 guys.

Check out the list and cost of Daikatana.

Or go and make Witcher 3 with 5 dudes. You all get paid a hundred million bucks.

Also you can film Avengers 3 with you and your homies. Two hundred million each.

Modern games cost a SHIT load of money to make and the ones that were cheap to make like Minecraft are outliers.

I hate EA and every fucking game that is freemium or has stupid expensive DLC but I will not shit on a big cool game with 40 hours play time costing $50.

Doom you could code nowadays in maybe a month by yourself with all the modern tools we have. But nowadays it's a game you can find in a ingame arcade as a little joke.

Some Indy games make much more ridiculous money compared to cost put in and received. I.e. Minecraft made billionaires.

Meanwhile Star Citizen is the greatest rip off in the history of gaming but because its 'indy' ($140 million put in by idiots bidding 750 buck on a .jpg image) it doesn't get shit on enough as compared to giants like Ubisoft and EA who actually make good playable games via huge teams of very very hard working people. Though I hate those fuckers for DLC.

Back in the day you also had to spend time play testing a game. You did not have the ability to put out patches later on.

When you had one basic configuration for a computer and 20.000 lines of code compared to every fucking thing you can imagine combined together and 20.000
files then you need patches and a horde of programmers. Developers love iOS and console games for a reason.

When you had one basic configuration for a computer and 20.000 lines of code compared to every fucking thing you can imagine combined together and 20.000
files then you need patches and a horde of programmers. Developers love iOS and console games for a reason.

What are you talking about? If you had not noticed Console games come out with as many if not more patches as PC games at this point. iOS programs and apps also get patched.

What are you talking about? If you had not noticed Console games come out with as many if not more patches as PC games at this point. iOS programs and apps also get patched.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

More patches? Do you have alternative facts?

Console patches are minor matters.

And pcs are a nightmare to patch.

actually i think they're more expensive due to DLC bullshit

You have no idea what you are talking about.

More patches? Do you have alternative facts?

Console patches are minor matters.

And pcs are a nightmare to patch.

Seeing as most of the time the errors being patched are the same for PC and console that is bullshit. More so when you consider the fact that the Xbox one now uses a DirectX APU. Hell, Skyrim special edition have the same patches for PC and console.

The way you say PC are a nightmare to patch makes it sound like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Check out the list and cost of Daikatana.

Or go and make Witcher 3 with 5 dudes. You all get paid a hundred million bucks.

Also you can film Avengers 3 with you and your homies. Two hundred million each.

Modern games cost a SHIT load of money to make and the ones that were cheap to make like Minecraft are outliers.

Yes modern games cost a ton of money, I was merely stating that during the wolfenstein 3d era of late 80's and early 90's the "big" games could be made with the same amount of people some indie devs have today.

Back