Mackenzie Dern...How do you think she is going to do in the UFC?

She needs to work her wrestling game like mad if she wants to succeed in the UFC. With her BJJ, she should have an edge over anyone in that division on the ground, but she's not great at getting the fight there yet.

Her camp should be focusing a lot on wrestling, and stand up defense for a while.

She's got the ground game, but she's got to get it there. That crappy head and arm hip toss so popular at 115 isn't going to cut it against the top.

nintchdbpict000375986529.jpg

You’re welcome TS
df29043659095834a71a083a251c6336.jpg

She's essentially Demian Maia but with really shitty takedowns.
Until she fixes that, many of her fights will look like Maia vs. Woodley, either that or she gets straight up starched on the feet.

As a maia fan, that's actually an insult to Maia's stand up game. I do hope that Dern takes the maia route, though, and focuses on wrestling in order to enhance her BJJ. She's only 24 years old—get that girl some good wrestle trainers, focus on the basics of striking, and she'll be a beast within a few years.

I truly don't think her camp will handle her correctly, though.

Maybe a bumpy road ahead but she should be very exciting to watch. Amazing on the ground. She's impeccable at Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Former world No. 1 ranked IBJJF and no gi black belt world champion. Big open question is whether she can improve her striking & wrestling enough to get it to the ground. The days of one person rattling off a bunch of consecutive wins the way Rousey did for a while may be over. Much stronger competition now. More fighters are skilled in take down defense, wrestling, striking & overall mma. Though RR's specialty was judo, and bjj is more useful for mma. So I'm excited to see her compete.

Until she fixes that, many of her fights will look like Maia vs. Woodley, either that or she gets straight up starched on the feet.
You say that like Maia had great takedowns

She's got the ground game, but she's got to get it there. That crappy head and arm hip toss so popular at 115 isn't going to cut it against the top.

Exactly. I just hope she doesn't suddenly fall in love with striking like so many of these elite grapplers do once they get into MMA. Don't get me wrong, she should be working hard on her striking, of course; but I'd much rather she builds her MMA game around her strength, which is BJJ, so she will need really good wrestling in order to do that.

She's the next PVZ/Calvillo. Others have already explained why.

She’s just Cynthia Calvillo with better bjj. She beats Yoder and wins fights until top7. It’ll come rather quick as she fights often. Depends on how she develops and the matchups.

Borderline top 10.

Dern will beat a few cans, then get destroyed when she fights someone in the Top 5. But, she will be popular and sell tickets, so good investment on the part of the UFC.

Jarl

Top 5 is being very generous.

Not that well. She isn't THAT attractive on her own. Her appeal is largely based on being hot for WMMA. Lacks a total game. She'll basically be a version of Paige. Destroys low-level comp, has some wars with mid-level comp, gets destroyed by anyone good, marketed on her looks.

Definitely the wrong weight class for her. I just want to see her make weight first.

Mackenzie Dern’s UFC debut will headline FS1 portion of UFC 222 fight card

AT STRAW WEIGHT vs Ashley Yoder...

personally, I really hope she does well . She has very little experience as an MMA fighter. It is interesting though how she could likely beat every girl in the division if she can manage to Ronda Rousey her way to the top. Meaning I believe she could beat the champ if it went to the ground. Girl is an ADCC and no gi BJJ World Champion.

YOU MAY HAVE DIF OPINIONS SO LETS HEAR THEM SHERDOG!

If she can make weight, she should do well until the top girls. But the way hype-trains have been detailed the last year, you never know.

She's the next PVZ/Calvillo. Others have already explained why.

Borderline top 10.

Top 5 is being very generous.

<JerryWWF>

I see no similarity between two. PVZ is a semi-good looking girl with no skills and Calvillo is an ugly girl with some legit skill.

Dern is a legit good looking girl with some legit skill. Hence, comparing her to other two sounds absurd.

Dafuq comparing her to Maia? Get that shit outta here...

<JerryWWF>

I see no similarity between two. PVZ is a semi-good looking girl with no skills and Calvillo is an ugly girl with some legit skill.

Dern is a legit good looking girl with some legit skill. Hence, comparing her to other two sounds absurd.
She'll be marketed heavily, and given easy fights in which she'll win and jump way up the rankings very fast, until she fights actual top ten fighters, when she gets destroyed. Just like PVZ and Calvillo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back