• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Machida was better than Anderson?

Georges Hefner

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
These two fighters get mentioned a lot here in similar vain. They were associated by the same gym and had similar styles. They both had a mystique about them. They also had many common opponents.

ORTIZ - Silva easily KO’d Tito in a boxing match, whereas Machida won a close decision. Irrelevant considering they were in different sports and time frames. 2008 Tito with MMA rules was a scary dude. (tie)

HENDERSON - Silva clubbed and subbed Henderson in a title fight, for the PRIDE-UFC unification bout. Machida, on the other hand, won a close unimpressive split decision. By this time, Henderson was out of prime. (1-0 Silva)

WEIDMAN
- Silva lost both fights brutally, not winning a single minute in either bout. Machida however, lost a close decision. You can argue that Lyoto would’ve TKO’d Chris if the fight got extended to the 6th round. Both were title fights. (1-1)

BRUNSON
- Interestingly enough, both faced Derek after a 2 year layoff in 2017. Silva won a gifted decision, whereas Machida lost by KO in 2 minutes. (2-1 Silva)

VITOR - Both knocked out Belfort in eerily same fashion in the 1st round. I think Machida’s knockout was more beautiful. However, Andy’s win was over a prime Vitor in a title bout.
(3-1 Silva)

SONNEN - Silva has 2 wins over a prime Chael. Both by finish. Machida TKO’d Chael in his retirement fight. (4-1 Silva)

FRANKLIN - Silva has 2 dominant stoppage wins, both in title fights. (5-1 Silva)

Personally, I think Silva was better. Anderson had better defense and more tools in his arsenal. You had to worry about his knees and BJJ on the ground. He was more dangerous and unpredictable. It seems to me that he was much more difficult to beat in his prime. I also believe that Anderson had a better chin.

Last edited:
These two fighters get mentioned a lot here in similar vain. They were associated by the same gym and had similar styles. They both had a mystique about them. They also had many common opponents.

ORTIZ - Silva easily KO’d Tito in a boxing match, whereas Machida won a close decision. Irrelevant considering they were in different sports and time frames. 2008 Tito with MMA rules was a scary dude. (tie)

HENDERSON - Silva clubbed and subbed Henderson in a title fight, for the PRIDE-UFC unification bout. Machida, on the other hand, won a close unimpressive split decision. By this time, Henderson was out of prime. (1-0 Silva)

WEIDMAN
- Silva lost both fights brutally, not winning a single minute in either bout. Machida however, lost a close decision. You can argue that Machida would’ve TKO’d Chris if the fight got extended to the 6th round. Both were title fights. (1-1)

BRUNSON
- Interestingly enough, both faced Derek after a 2 year layoff in 2017. Silva won a gifted decision, whereas Machida lost by KO in 2 minutes. (2-1 Silva)

VITOR - Both knocked out Belfort in eerily same fashion in the 1st round. I think Machida’s knockout was more beautiful. However, Andy’s win was over a prime Vitor in a title bout.
(3-1 Silva)

SONNEN - Silva has 2 wins over a prime Chael. Both by finish. Machida TKO’d Chael in his retirement fight. (4-1 Silva)

Personally, I think Silva was better. Anderson had better defense and more tools in his arsenal. You had to worry about his knees and BJJ on the ground. He was more dangerous and unpredictable. It seems to me that he was much more difficult to beat in his prime. I also believe that Anderson had a better chin.
If Machida fought at MW ...dam...he would have destroyed. ....both great but I give AS an edge but fight would be very close. I could see a trilogy if they had fought. I think AS would counter Machida's movements when pressing forward so I see it as a technical fight to decision.

Machida deserves all the love he gets. His run to the title was legendary because nobody knew what to do with him. That said, Anderson Silva was a level above him. Maybe more.

As far as head to head, i agree with one of the posters above. A good chance of a stinker.

Yeah no question about it. I remember the 205 division used to be called the “money division.” The division was super deep. The middleweight division was lacking in comparison

The belt getting passed around doesn't necessarily mean that the skill level is higher, it just means that the skill level is close.

Machida is my favorite fighter of all time but comparing him to Andy is laughable.

Andy had much better grappling and an iron chin in his prime, he also had way more power in his hands.

The fact that these types of questions even come up shows that Silva is underrated.
Well, to be fair, I haven't seen these types of comments in a looong time. There was a time when people echoed these sentiments on this board, but that was because Machida was impressive, not because Silva was, or is, underrated.

Well, to be fair, I haven't seen these types of comments in a looong time. There was a time when people echoed these sentiments on this board, but that was because Machida was impressive, not because Silva was, or is, underrated.

We haven't seen it in a long time because it's been a long time since they were both competing regularly.

And yes, it does underrate the other. It's like if I started comparing Marty to GSP.

I think that’s what makes Shogun’s performances against Machida even better. Other than a whoopsie daisy moment against Tito, Machida proved thoroughly unmatched; rarely if ever taking any meaningful damage. His title performance against Rashad is still one of the best in history, imo.

Shogun was coming off a terrible fight against Coleman and a impressive showing against a clearly depreciated Liddell. Boy, things changed quickly after that. Machida still went on to be outstanding until father-time clearly got him.

Basically, I hope any newer fans come to appreciate what Shogun was able to do there.

How was it lacking though?

Relative to the two divisions that pertain to this discussion, both the depth and quality of talent at 185lbs was far more shallow than 205lbs. Furthermore no division improved more from the Strikeforce merger than MW, it was the WEC LW equivalent. Why? Because that shit was shallow.

Rich Franklin is another common opponent you didnt mention. So 5-1 Silva I guess

Machida was very hard to do anything against but Anderson was the more deadly striker and dangerous clinch or ground fighter. Better chin too. In a head to head it would be close but I slightly favour Silva.

Machida was closer to a natural LHW than Silva, thicker guy. Anderson made WW until his 30s and needed to bulk up to be 200lbs in fighting shape.

Last edited:
Back