M. Dern's accent

irc

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
the fuk

Last edited:
She grew up around multiple languages and accents. It's not unusual for such people to speak with an accent that you would not expect based on their geographical location.

It's weird how it influences you. I lived in Japan for a while and my Rs and Ls get screwy now occasionally.

This lady is from the usbut has been in England like 30 years. Sometimes in her videos she sounds British on certain words. Not this once but its funny.

There are already thirty threads on this non-topic.

I've already went over how she gained a thick accent multiple times.

It's like a different person. The video really shows you how ridiculous it is.

Didn't she have an interpreter in the cage with her at UFC 222? Is it common for someone to completely forget their mother tongue in a couple of years?

Didn't she have an interpreter in the cage with her at UFC 222? Is it common for someone to completely forget their mother tongue in a couple of years?

She had no control on why the UFC sent an interpreter in. She didn't use him and spoke English. Why are you mad still?

It's like a different person. The video really shows you how ridiculous it is.

Happens when you speak multiple languages and are abroad must of the year.

No, it doesn't. It can happen if you go to another country speaking the same language with a different accent, to some degree.

It can happen if you go to a foreign country but they all speak english and their accent affects you, to some degree.

It's virtually impossible for a native english speaker that grew up in this country, that spends some amount of time overseas (but still spends most of her time in the US from what I can tell) to have a complete degradation of her native tongue to the extent we see here without some degree of intent.

I just can't see it. I've lived overseas for long periods of time. I've had many, many friends in exactly her situation (but not the same country or language) and never have I seen anything like it. Some words may change, some strange usages crop up, but the base is still there.

This sounds like english is her second language.

No, it doesn't. It can happen if you go to another country speaking the same language with a different accent, to some degree.

It can happen if you go to a foreign country but they all speak english and their accent affects you, to some degree.

It's virtually impossible for a native english speaker that grew up in this country, that spends some amount of time overseas (but still spends most of her time in the US from what I can tell) to have a complete degradation of her native tongue to the extent we see here without some degree of intent.

I just can't see it. I've lived overseas for long periods of time. I've had many, many friends in exactly her situation (but not the same country or language) and never have I seen anything like it. Some words may change, some strange usages crop up, but the base is still there.

This sounds like english is her second language.

1st since she graduated in HS at 17, she has spent more time in Brazil gmail now 24yrs old. Since 17 she stop hanging out with Americans as much as she used to growing up. Her father and step mother only speak to her in Portuguese.

Training partners and people in the elite level Jiu jitsu all speak Portuguese for the most part. Her ex boyfriend tanqinhuo only spoke Portuguese when they got to gather.( they were together for 4yrs.)

I have lived abroad and have came back forgetting certain words and even having a accent. I rid of it once I'm around my native language. Seen is never around her native language anymore. For the past 7 yrs she has been abroad for the most part.

Source- I've known her since she was young and have been her training partner for the past 10yrs.

iStock_000003862709_Large-845x321.jpg

Seriously ? I thought she just sounded Murrcan throughout that first vid.

It would be nice if we could just get a sticky about this and just start banning people for making new threads ...

1st since she graduated in HS at 17, she has spent more time in Brazil gmail now 24yrs old. Since 17 she stop hanging out with Americans as much as she used to growing up. Her father and step mother only speak to her in Portuguese...

I like Dern and hope she does well in the UFC but this is kind of b.s. I have a good friend that was born in Mexico and came here to the U.S. with his parents in grade school. He lived here until his 20s and spoke Spanish at home and English outside the home. He had perfect English with a slight Mexican accent. In his 20s he got in trouble and went to jail, and since he wasn’t a U.S. citizen when he got out he got deported to Mexico. He’s been there for five years now, and married a Mexican woman and has a kid. I talk to him every once in a while and his accent is a little thicker but not nearly as strong as Dern’s and his English is still perfect unlike Dern who uses incorrect syntax and grammar. That’s the thing Dern’s friends and fans won’t acknowledge, is that having an accent in her situation is understandable, but she sounds like she just learned English three years ago and that’s just not realistic.

Interesting conversation. Is it possible different people respond differently to different languages? My mother picks up accents and languages quickly. My father not so much. I am more like my mom. My accent will get more southern when I am at work here in the south talking (blue collar business with lots of heavy y'alls and aint). When I speak to my northern family members my accent picks up to my childhood. I am not faking any of it.

We act so black and white on the web. "I know a guy" leaves no room for different people. People are different. People learn different communicate different and some peoples language changes faster than others. How about the guy who says bro every other work or ossss then comes to our club where we do neither of those things. Guess what some guys change. Some don't.

Back