M. Dern's accent

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by irc, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Tirofijo2001

Tirofijo2001 Yellow Belt

No it doesn’t.

Source- I speak multiple languages and have lived overseas for the last 4 years straight and the last 11 years out of 20. I’ve lost a bit of my Deep South southern accent but that’s it.

anaconda likes this.
  2. Tirofijo2001

Tirofijo2001 Yellow Belt

There’s some truth to your post about picking up accents, but you don’t just forget to conjugate verbs in your native tongue because you moved to Brazil.

j123, listrahtes and anaconda like this.
  3. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Also she still spent a fair amount of time in the us the past several years. It's not like she was in a cave speaking only Portuguese for the past 5 years.

4. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

I have too and speak multiple languages.. so we are both different apparently. Your experience is not absolute for everyone else.

jr jr likes this.
  5. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

Porra..even my Brazilian students think I am Brazilian ...lol

6. Tirofijo2001

Tirofijo2001 Yellow Belt

None of the hundreds (that's plural) of native-English speaking Americans that i've met overseas have lost their ability to speak decent English or taken on an accent. None.

Did you forget how to conjugate verbs too?

Maybe you and Dern are the two anomalies. Or maybe she's affecting a 'cool' Brazilian accent as she tries to find her roots and you want to believe her since you've been training with her for 10 years.

anaconda likes this.
  7. jr jr

jr jr Purple Belt

Thats possible. I hear people do that all the time Brah......

8. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Like I said, plenty of people gain accents all the time when they spend enough time speaking and listening to other languages around them.

Look at New Yorkers in the city, they gain accents as the live and are surrounded with people with poor grammar. When they move to another state or even up state NY. It takes them a long time to break the accent. Some actors who where born in NY City actually have to get professional help to lose the accent.

We get it, murica right? I mean we speak English from England lol.

9. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I looked this up once, and strangely enough it turns out that the American accent is actually more historically English than the current British accent.

America is the oldest major colony and thus ended up with an Elizabethan accent since it was established around that time. It is said that Shakespeare reads better in an American accent than a British one.

The current British accent didn't come about until the Victorian era at the height of the empire. The theory is that upper classes in London started talking differently around that time to distinguish themselves from lower classes, and that it just caught on so much that it become the modern British accent. But America was already independent and established by then so the change in London never had any effect on Americans.

So oddly enough it turns out that we Americans are speaking with an authentic English accent -- even older than the current one spoken in England.

None of this has much to do with BJJ, but since we are talking about accents, I always thought that was kind of cool.

anaconda and dimmyfinster like this.
  10. Tirofijo2001

Tirofijo2001 Yellow Belt

There’s a big difference between swapping one regional American accent for different regional American accent, and the complete degradation of her ability to speak her native tongue.

But hey, if you want to believe, then I’m sure you are going to believe.

11. killer_kicks88

killer_kicks88 Green Belt

Duuuuude @kenetics are you seriously arguing this? I've spoken with her multiple times. I wanna say the first time was 2008, in Phoenix. She talked like the other girls I know who were RAISED IN PHOENIX. The last time I talked to her I was thinking "wtf is going on right now, is she ok?!" The main thing she did to her "accent" is add "like" between almost every single word. It's exhausting to listen to the Portuguese accent when they're adding "like" between every word. All she did was gain poor speech habits???

12. aus101

aus101 Black Belt

Yeah, she ditched the valley girl tones for a ESL Brazilian “like, you know..(the words I’m looking for but don’t know in English) one.

Which is why everyone is giving her shit, because if she has only been speaking in Portuguese the last few years then why would her American accent (and let’s be frank, grammar and vocab) go to shit? Wouldn’t it be the same as it was last time she was speaking English? Who in Brazil is using that terrible broken English accent with her and why would she think “yes, forget my actual knowledge of how Americans talk (and my own accent) I’m going to speak English like that now”...?

Meanwhile actual ESL Europeans whenever called upon are speaking comparatively perfect English they managed to pick up from whatever mandatory high school English classes they did.

13. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

Not few years , she been speaking Portuguese for almost seven yrs straight .

14. kenetics

kenetics Red Belt

I known her for yeas and have seen her English get worst once she started spending more time in Brazil. You are talking out of your ass lol.

15. Mrs. Alvey

Mrs. Alvey White Belt

I have a hard time not mimicking the way people speak to some degree. I grew up with a deaf father and have lived in a lot of different places. There is no way this is not in some way purposeful. I easily hear it when I start talking a little funny. She knows she’s doing it.

Mocrates likes this.
  16. nefti

nefti Red Belt

She is doing it for marketing trying to get popular in Brazil.

Mocrates likes this.