Luke Thomas frame by frame breaks down Kevin Lee's choke and Yamasaki's call

Yep. And personally I'm not really a social justice guy myself. Some of the stuff he talks about in that category isn't really my taste. But his knowledge of the sport and ability to breakdown and analyse techniques as it relates to the fights and the fighters themselves are impeccable.

It's amazing how many people get hung up on one thing that they don't like.

^This. You're never going agree with anybody on every issue.

Luke's politics make up a pretty small percentage of his content.

i mean if only the ref would of let it go 5 more seconds he would of tapped or went to sleep, i mean we are basically pissed that the ref predicted the stoppage instead of letting it happen, even though it was clear that chiesa gave up(stopped hand finding, i dont remember the last time someone got out of a choke without defending it, maybe if you wish really really hard, but i doubt it). So we can blame the ref upto a certain point, and say yes it was early, but the outcome was clearly there, and its his own fault too, because last time i checked there is a rule called "properly defending yourself at all times" which im sure that was not properly defending a choke, playing dead as a tactic maybe? who knows.

Both parties are to blame, but i would say 90% falls on chiesa for either trying to play dead or fake out the ref like he did and then reacting like he had it under control, which he clearly did not.

Anyone that doesn't appreciate this guys breakdowns and analysis probably eats yellow mustard.

...or they dislike him strictly based off of out-of-context quotes that they read in the titles of hate threads that people post about him.

Prime example:

Some people who've clearly never listened to one of his shows make out like he does nothing but rant about social justice issues. It's fucking ridiculous.

Luke is easily the most knowledge guy in the MMA media RE technique breakdowns who hasn't actually been involved in the sport as a fighter or trainer.

quite frankly i think there are a lot of dumb people that get thrown off by lukes sense of superiority. (which isnt cool, but not a big thing to deal with, easily laughed off)

and i mean it when i say dumb... they get insecure

like ugly girls when a pretty one shows up and she is wearing provocative clothes and gets called a whore.

luke is reasonably smart, and they cant deny it, so they resort to things comparable to calling the girl a whore

not the best stoppage, but not that bad either. and though there are a couple of minor things he could have done differently and better, it's certainly not worthy of the boatload of criticism it's getting. he then spends 15 minutes going point by point using still frames to strengthen his arguments.

but time and again we've seen that once something gets steam in this sport, it's too late (my comment, not Luke's)

EDIT: his biggest point is that there are 3 stages to getting choked out; a) hand fighting, b) stop hand fighting, c) hands/body goes loose. Chiesa did 2.5 of those 3 things. and when his hands went a little spastic there at the end, it was good evidence to suggest it was the body going loose. but even if it wasn't, he certainly was done doing intelligent defense, with 28 seconds left. and that Yamasaki prob should have lifted a hand or verbally asked, which is why it's not a perfect or even a good stoppage. but again, it wasn't a bad one either.

there i just saved you 20 minutes. you're welcome.
This is basically the only thing I have a problem with.

He didn't do what you should do, which is check on the fighter to see if they're still responsive, lift an arm to see if it's limp, then it would've been clear if he was still conscious.

Whether he was done, whether he would've been out 5 seconds later isn't the point.

The point is that it was premature, even if it was only by a few seconds and it was an example of bad officiating, in a title eliminator main event fight no less.

People excusing it are just excusing bad officiating and saying they don't have a problem with it.

It robbed Lee a genuine win.

No. Only people under the age of 12 eat that garbage. Real adults eat Dijon or Brown mustard on their food.

Regardless, mayonnaise, ketchup and Ranch are much worse.

He didn't do what you should do, which is check on the fighter to see if they're still responsive, lift an arm to see if it's limp, then it would've been clear if he was still conscious.

Whether he was done, whether he would've been out 5 seconds later isn't the point.

The point is that it was premature, even if it was only by a few seconds and it was an example of bad officiating, in a title eliminator main event fight no less.

People excusing it are just excusing bad officiating and saying they don't have a problem with it.

There is nothing in the rulebook that says you have to lift the arm of someone you think might be unconscious. When Chiesa took his hand off of the Lee's and had no hands fighting the choke, it's over. He's not defending the submission anymore. He isn't intelligently defending himself.

There is nothing in the rulebook that says you have to lift the arm of someone you think might be unconscious. When Chiesa took his hand off of the Lee's and had no hands fighting the choke, it's over. He's not defending the submission anymore. He isn't intelligently defending himself.
Agree to disagree.

The way I've always understood chokes has been, unless the guy taps or is clearly out(in which case the ref checks on the fighter, and we clearly see that the fighter is limp), it isn't over.

quite frankly i think there are a lot of dumb people that get thrown off by lukes sense of superiority. (which isnt cool, but not a big thing to deal with, easily laughed off)

and i mean it when i say dumb... they get insecure

like ugly girls when a pretty one shows up and she is wearing provocative clothes and gets called a whore.

luke is reasonably smart, and they cant deny it, so they resort to things comparable to calling the girl a whore

For the most part, I view it as tongue-in-cheek.

He does take a lot of shots at the more idiotic elements of the MMA fanbase, which I imagine hits too close to home for a lot of people who are on the wrong side of his jokes/insults.

Luke generally knows his shit. People just like to bitch and/or don't know what the fuck they're watching. It wasn't a perfect stoppage, but it was a good stoppage. Chiesa stopped defending and was saved from going dark. Good call.

So pretty much wait until fighters look limp and/or unresponsive, then poke them to make sure they're out. Holy fuck, may you never ref a fight.

Last edited:
Back