Luke Thomas frame by frame breaks down Kevin Lee's choke and Yamasaki's call

Threetrees

He/Him
@plutonium
Reaction score

time stamped.

Cliffs
not the best stoppage, but not that bad either. and though there are a couple of minor things he could have done differently and better, it's certainly not worthy of the boatload of criticism it's getting.

but time and again we've seen that once something gets steam in this sport, it's too late.

Last edited:
Luke always does great work in those podcasts.

i agree; folks can (and will and do) nitpick it, but it wasn't that egregious.

that being said, his other argument - that different refs stop different fights at different times in similar situations - Chiesa would agree with. that was one of his major complaints - that two fights earlier blah blah blah.

so the sport gives refs (and judges) lots of latitude. we as fans like that.....until we don't.

it's a solid breakdown, and probably won't convince anyone since most people here seem to have a major problem with confirmation bias. regardless, thanks TS (esp for the timestamp).

No cliffs...

I'm not watching, shit.

bullshit_breaking_bad.gif

Anyone that doesn't appreciate this guys breakdowns and analysis probably eats yellow mustard.

Anyone that doesn't appreciate this guys breakdowns and analysis probably eats yellow mustard.

Yellow Mustard > Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Ranch, Barbeque sauce and thousand island dressing.

Yellow Mustard > Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Ranch, Barbeque sauce and thousand island dressing.
No. Only people under the age of 12 eat that garbage. Real adults eat Dijon or Brown mustard on their food.

/thread until this gets fixed. lol
not the best stoppage, but not that bad either. and though there are a couple of minor things he could have done differently and better, it's certainly not worthy of the boatload of criticism it's getting. he then spends 15 minutes going point by point using still frames to strengthen his arguments.

but time and again we've seen that once something gets steam in this sport, it's too late (my comment, not Luke's)

EDIT: his biggest point is that there are 3 stages to getting choked out; a) hand fighting, b) stop hand fighting, c) hands/body goes loose. Chiesa did 2.5 of those 3 things. and when his hands went a little spastic there at the end, it was good evidence to suggest it was the body going loose. but even if it wasn't, he certainly was done doing intelligent defense, with 28 seconds left. and that Yamasaki prob should have lifted a hand or verbally asked, which is why it's not a perfect or even a good stoppage. but again, it wasn't a bad one either.

there i just saved you 20 minutes. you're welcome.

Last edited:
not the best stoppage, but not that bad either. and though there are a couple of minor things he could have done differently and better, it's certainly not worthy of the boatload of criticism it's getting.

but time and again we've seen that once something gets steam in this sport, it's too late.
adding to OP if you don't mind

...or they dislike him strictly based off of out-of-context quotes that they read in the titles of hate threads that people post about him.

Prime example:

Let me guess, it was racist?

Some people who've clearly never listened to one of his shows make out like he does nothing but rant about social justice issues. It's fucking ridiculous.

Luke is easily the most knowledge guy in the MMA media RE technique breakdowns who hasn't actually been involved in the sport as a fighter or trainer.

...or they dislike him strictly based off of out-of-context quotes that they read in the titles of hate threads that people post about him.

Prime example:

Some people who've clearly never listened to one of his shows make out like he does nothing but rant about social justice issues. It's fucking ridiculous.

Luke is easily the most knowledge guy in the MMA media RE technique breakdowns who hasn't actually been involved in the sport as a fighter or trainer.
Yep. And personally I'm not really a social justice guy myself. Some of the stuff he talks about in that category isn't really my taste. But his knowledge of the sport and ability to breakdown and analyse techniques as it relates to the fights and the fighters themselves are impeccable.

It's amazing how many people get hung up on one thing that they don't like.

Which is why a lot of us hate him.

He speaks well, he writes well, he knows his shit; but he wastes it all the time with his preachy ass bullshit.

The only thing overshadowing Luke's talent is Luke.

giphy.gif

Back