News Luke Rockhold signs with Karate Combat, set to debut against former GLORY and Bellator veteran Joe Schilling on April 20

Smart career move by the former UFC Middleweight champion?

• Total voters
jOyh3v.gif
came for this

Exactly the caliber of guy Rockhold should be fighting. Also one of the few guys who Luke should be a considerable favorite against

I wonder what kind of a bag he's getting for this

glad he koed that drunk douche
schilling is an irredeemable douche for that incident. the legal proceeding afterward was a farce as well. drunk loudmouths are annoying, but it’s obvious schilling was looking for an excuse to beat up a non-fighter. hopefully he ends up getting justice for that one way or another. too bad luke won’t be the one too do it lol.

Hes just going to keep going lower down the combat sports ladder until hes in powerslap.

I actually hope Luke connects with a question-mark kick on Schillings noggin'

Also hope Conroy will start making irish folk music

Also love how Bono made a fool out of P Diddums

Exactly the caliber of guy Rockhold should be fighting. Also one of the few guys who Luke should be a considerable favorite against
I think the fight could go either way to be honest. Both guys have been inactive. Joe last fought 5 years ago and Luke did not look good in his fight with Costa. So it's an unknown regarding whether ot not Joe will still perform the same as he did last time. Not to mention he's about Luke's age and smokes a pack a day so his cardio may very well be shot. I fully expect someone to either get KO'ed or both of them to gas out early and fight to a sloppy decision.

I think the fight could go either way to be honest. Both guys have been inactive. Joe last fought 5 years ago and Luke did not look good in his fight with Costa. So it's an unknown regarding whether ot not Joe will still perform the same as he did last time. Not to mention he's about Luke's age and smokes a pack a day so his cardio may very well be shot. I fully expect someone to either get KO'ed or both of them to gas out early and fight to a sloppy decision.
I'd be a lot more sure if I understood the rules of karate combat a little better. Even if its just a kickboxing match I'd still favor Luke I think. He's lost a lot lately but he's been in there with legit guys like Jan and Yoel and Costa. I never even heard of half the guys Schilling lost to, and that's before a 5 year layoff

The Mighty Trigon ring takes no prisoners

So is it safe to say that karate combat is no longer karate and they're basically just now no longer giving karate guys a chance to be pro fighters this is actually pretty stupid and silly now and I will no longer probably watch their product I was interested in seeing karate develop as a pro fighting sport not seeing Mma guys just strike

So is it safe to say that karate combat is no longer karate and they're basically just now no longer giving karate guys a chance to be pro fighters this is actually pretty stupid and silly now and I will no longer probably watch their product I was interested in seeing karate develop as a pro fighting sport not seeing Mma guys just strike
The MMA guys are what is giving those unknown karatekas exposure, young lad. It's a more stable expansion of business strategy than banking on KARATEKOINS to moon.

So you're SCHILLING for this fight, OP, amirite?
<LikeReally5>
Better than bareknuckle for him. Though I'd rather he do grappling.
I believe that they do both now.
He'd be a good "crossover guy."
I don't know why Luke didn't sign with KC from the jump instead of BKFC. KC always suited him more with his kicking style. I'm also surprised to see Joe coming back to competition. I was pretty sure he was done. It will be a fun fight.

If I'm not mistaken, this (Rockhold) is/was a widely held opinion here.
Either way, I 100% agree.

glad he koed that drunk douche
Would've been better to drop him with a body shot.
Head shots can kill a dude (impact on ground, too.)
Not sure what's more terrible.
Sam Alvey as champ or Robin Black.
A lot of the fights are so damn boring, not sure why though.
Robin Black is awesome!
He's like a kid who goes way too over the top with his descriptions about whatever hobby he/she is super passionate about at the moment.... except he's a semi-permafried 50 year old musician/martial-artist.
Was wondering how Alvey would deal with BK born Ross Levine show us the difference in Karate vs MMA striking... until I saw the size discrepancy.
It will be interesting to see (not that I believe it'd be this fight) how a proficient Karate guy deals with an MMA striker who is their own actual size under this ruleset.

Luke actually had a good kicking about 10 years ago (see Costa Philippou fight). However, that dwindled over time, probably due to injuries. He's never been a good boxer or had good striking defense. In his prime, he could usually mask that weakness with good footwork, athleticism, kicks and the threat of a TD. None of that will come into play in Karate Combat. I'd like to see Luke win, but don't know what he brings to this event.

I'd bet Luke comes to battle with a properly fitted mouthpiece this time.

Sam'll likely be watching, with a huge smile, knowing Platinum's not there.​

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back