Luis Ortiz vs Joe Joyce next

Joyce looked slow as hell.
He is not the fastest mover that for sure but he just sorts of rumbles forward with a lot of pressure (which I guess makes sense since his nickname is the Juggernaut) and a high work rate which makes him quite a handful. He got outboxed by Usyk in the World Series of Boxing but he was still managing to apply a fair amount of pressure to Usyk and Usyk really had to be on his bike to keep away from Joyce.

Ortiz also didn't land much on Wilder's chin outside of the one round when he almost had Deontay out of there. Wilder didn't come to Ortiz, and possessed the massive power deterrent which made exchanging with him much more dangerous. Joyce will come to Ortiz, and Ortiz will have no fear of standing in with him. I don't think Joyce will do so well in those exchanges, but maybe he has a granite chin which will carry him through.
Maybe but I don't think Joyce will be drawn into exchanges and will try to keep it long and use his 2" reach and 3" height advantage. If he does get drawn into a firefight then as you allude to, he will get chin checked by Ortiz.

Maybe but I don't think Joyce will be drawn into exchanges and will try to keep it long and use his 2" reach and 3" height advantage. If he does get drawn into a firefight then as you allude to, he will get chin checked by Ortiz.

Ortiz is probably better than him at range, though. Joyce is a lumbering pressure fighter and I can't see him having much success boxing at range against a guy like Ortiz.

Ortiz is probably better than him at range, though. Joyce is a lumbering pressure fighter and I can't see him having much success boxing at range against a guy like Ortiz.
Joyce has a rudimentary jab and decent straight right behind it. I've seen him box long before so he can do it. It's not pretty to watch I'll grant you that but it is effective. And his jab seems to have quite a deterrent effect on his opponents i.e. it's pretty heavy. But you could be right in that Joyce will be looking to close him down and fight him more at a medium to close range. It really depends on the tactics they adopt to fight Ortiz.

Ortiz beats his green ass. Too big of a jump.

Then, everyone who picked Joyce to win now claims that Ortiz was too much of a step up for a green fighter.

All that said, hats off to Joyce for jumping right into the shark tank.

I'll do an avatar bet with you if this fight gets made. Joyce to win and I get to choose your avatar. If Ortiz wins then you get to chose mine. Are you game?
I was going to be cheering for Ortiz but I might have to change that now lol.

I dont think ortiz looked good last time out. I also suspect he's near on 50 years old.

I think Joyce wins over a declining Ortiz.
What in the world???

Guys ortiz would decimate joe joyce...

i have ortiz, joyce isnt ready. maybe in 3-5 more fights taking on steadily better opponents.

joyce & dubois shouldn’t be put anywhere NEAR names like luis ortiz for at least another year

I think Joyce will win by KO he hits like a truck in the UK everyone says he is pretty much the biggest hitter out there......this will be a proper test for him and see if his boxing skill (or lack off) will be an issue as he steps up quality of opponent.

Powerful call out. Good to see a prospect not afraid to challenge himself. It makes sense given his age I suppose (33).

So..the so-called "Boogeyman of the heavyweight division", the guy (Wilder fans say) nobody wanted to fight just got called out. Can't wait.

<{JustBleed}>

First Tyson Fury, now Joe Joyce. The sort-of-Irish are here to take over the heavyweight division!

Ortiz beats his green ass. Too big of a jump.

Then, everyone who picked Joyce to win now claims that Ortiz was too much of a step up for a green fighter.

All that said, hats off to Joyce for jumping right into the shark tank.

Yes might be too much of a step up but good he wants the fight, he needed to step up quickly if he wants to try and make it at the top level lets see if he is good enough

I'm favoring Joyce here...
  • 6 years younger
  • 24 pounds heavier.
  • Superior amateur career
  • Great cardio for his size
Ortiz was gassed by the 10th round against Wilder.

Last edited:
I'm definitely interested in watching this. I'm not massively sold on Joe Joyce yet, and I don't know how far his potential is, but this will give us perfect picture of it.
Yep. I’m just happy that we FINALLY have a few fighters in the HW division that actually are gunning for the best competition!

I'm favoring Joyce here...
  • 6 years younger
  • 20 pounds heavier.
  • Superior amateur career
  • Great cardio for his size

Ortiz was gassed by the 10th round against Wilder (timestamped)...

Trying to give it his all to get Wilder out of there, then started getting his ass beat.

Back