Looking for new sparring gloves

Benry

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey, I'm in the market for some new sparring gloves and would love some suggestions. Couple of things about me:

Weigh about 190 now, working to get back down to 160-170 (my fight weight)
Been boxing for 2 and a half years now, 2-5 times a week
30 year old school teacher

I've been using a pair of 16oz Everlast Protex2 Lace Ups I bought last year, but it feels like my hands just flop around in them and I don't feel any impact when I connect unless it's a SUPER clean punch. I've watched some of my sparring vids and noticed that shots I thought grazed or lightly tapped my partner were actually pretty solid.

I got some 12oz Cleto Reyes for Christmas I use as bag gloves and I love them.

I'm looking for a pair under $100 that offers pretty good hand protection (don't want to go back to work with messed up hands if I can help it), but allows me to feel more of my punches' register.

Am I asking for an impossibility, or is there some kind of middle ground with a brand that I could reach?

Hey, I'm in the market for some new sparring gloves and would love some suggestions. Couple of things about me:

Weigh about 190 now, working to get back down to 160-170 (my fight weight)
Been boxing for 2 and a half years now, 2-5 times a week
30 year old school teacher

I've been using a pair of 16oz Everlast Protex2 Lace Ups I bought last year, but it feels like my hands just flop around in them and I don't feel any impact when I connect unless it's a SUPER clean punch. I've watched some of my sparring vids and noticed that shots I thought grazed or lightly tapped my partner were actually pretty solid.

I got some 12oz Cleto Reyes for Christmas I use as bag gloves and I love them.

I'm looking for a pair under $100 that offers pretty good hand protection (don't want to go back to work with messed up hands if I can help it), but allows me to feel more of my punches' register.

Am I asking for an impossibility, or is there some kind of middle ground with a brand that I could reach?

I would recommend UMA IR or any Sabas glove.

I've never used Sabas or UMA IR gloves but based on my time on Sherdog those gloves have received lots of praise for protection and feedback while being at or under $100.

I have a pair of Everlast Powerlocks that I feel are protective and provide good feedback which you can get for $100 or less due to lots of sales on Everlast. I love them, but the quality of Everlast gloves are usually poo poo and my foam is already breaking down after a couple months of heavy use.

Yeah I was thinking of splurging and getting a pair of custom UMA RT41s or even just some white ones but I don't want to spend $130+ after shipping if possible. I've read a lot of good about the R2C c17s too, but I don't know if they'd be durable enough.

There are a few guys at my gym that use Powerlocks, but they've degraded super quickly and outside of their amateur headgear I haven't had good experiences the multiple times I've tried Everlast.

I really like the Cleto's but don't want to spend that much on a pair of sparring gloves. I know Title makes knockoffs with the Pro Mex and have been looking at their 16oz lace-ups. Does anyone have experience with using those for sparring?

Last edited:
Wouldn't recommend Sabas for durability reasons, unless you get the Primes. But if you're using them for sparring it might be fine.

RT41s are super padded and you won't get as much feedback. I'd just spend the extra money on Reyes rather than get a pair of Promex gloves. Promex are faux-Mexican gloves made in Pakistan. Just spend the extra money and you won't regret it.

Not to push anything but my stock gloves are priced at 105 usd and even though they are marked at 14 ounces they come in at about 16.6

+1 for the Zeus gloves.

Currently my most used gloves and they're holding up after a lot of punishment.

Ended up getting a pair of 16oz Cletos. Thanks for all the knowledge and help, guys!

Late to the party, good choice on gloves. I cringe anytime someone compares promex to reyes though. They arent bad gloves, they are actually decent but nothing like reyes other than the look. The padding is completely different. Craftsmanship is worlds apart as well.

I figured as much. I got a pair of 12oz velcro ones for Christmas from a family member and they've ruined other, cheaper gloves for me in terms of fit, comfort, and padding. Even the infamous thumb hasn't been an issue.

I did some research and I've seen a wide range of views RE: Promex gloves.

I got a pair for my ex-girlfriend when we first started boxing and thought they were a good deal at $50 (in hindsight, still not a terrible purchase) and I got to play with them a bit, but didn't like them as much as the pair of Title Platinums I was using at the time. All I remember is that they had a SUPER narrow profile, thick leather, and some really compact padding for 16oz gloves.

Some reviews I've seen have called them total crap, others have said that they're very similar to Reyes (from people who claimed to use both). I watched a Fight Quest episode where the guys went to Marquez's gym to train in boxing and saw some of the prospects using them and figured they couldn't be too bad.

If it wasn't for the fact that I found a good, practically unused (tried on once, didn't like them, put them up for sale) white lace ups in 16oz on eBay, I probably would have bought a pair of ProMex's from Title's glove sale, since they're down at $70 right now.

ExpertBoxing did a really comprehensive article about Boxing gloves and the culture of manufacturing that has built around them in the past decade. Have any of you guys read it? If so what are your views on it?

No not familiar wiith that article perhaps link it?

He has some positive but precautionary words about Sherdog reviews:

SHERDOG forums – popular MMA website forum where you can read discussions on many different brands and models of gloves. I think Sherdog reviews are great to compare first impressions of quality, fit, and cushioning. But I would be cautious of grandiose claims about performance and durability. I don’t think anybody is truly qualified to review boxing gloves until they’ve PERSONALLY worn out a few pairs of boxing brands like Winning, Grant, Reyes, Rival, Ringside, and Title.​

He has some positive but precautionary words about Sherdog reviews:

SHERDOG forums – popular MMA website forum where you can read discussions on many different brands and models of gloves. I think Sherdog reviews are great to compare first impressions of quality, fit, and cushioning. But I would be cautious of grandiose claims about performance and durability. I don’t think anybody is truly qualified to review boxing gloves until they’ve PERSONALLY worn out a few pairs of boxing brands like Winning, Grant, Reyes, Rival, Ringside, and Title.​
He uses a lot of testimony from here about major brands (Cleto Reyes, Winning, etc), so he definitely trusts you guys.

He uses a lot of testimony from here about major brands (Cleto Reyes, Winning, etc), so he definitely trusts you guys.
Us.

He trusts us.

You, too, are a Sherdog member now, Benry. You must learn to embrace this new identity. We, all of us, are Sherdog.

We are Sherdog. We are Sherdog. Say it with us, Benry. We are Sherdog.

It's a pretty long read, but we'll worth your time if you're interested in gear at all.

https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-basics/boxing-equipment/best-boxing-gloves-review
Don't agree with everything he says but it's good to have something like that out there, comprehensive and pretty accurate on the whole and hopefully consumed by a lot of people struggling to make good buying choices who might not find their way here.

Last edited:
Don't agree with everything he says but it's good to have something like that out there, comprehensive and pretty accurate on the whole and hopefully consumed by a lot of people struggling to make good buying choices who might not find their way here.
Same.

Back