Looking for new sparring gloves

We are Sherdog. We are Sherdog. Say it with us, Benry. We are Sherdog.

Don't agree with everything he says but it's good to have something like that out there, comprehensive and pretty accurate on the whole and hopefully consumed by a lot of people struggling to make good buying choices who might not find their way here.

Agree with Minowa on this, but like anything else...everyone will not agree on gloves. Nature of the beast. Due to price, feel, looks, protection, etc... everyone's personal choice will be different.

IE age old war of Reyes vs Winning.
Punchers gloves vs protective gloves

Agree with Minowa on this, but like anything else...everyone will not agree on gloves. Nature of the beast. Due to price, feel, looks, protection, etc... everyone's personal choice will be different.

IE age old war of Reyes vs Winning.
Punchers gloves vs protective gloves

Agreed. I'm glad he makes that point on there that his opinions on various gloves' worth is based on where he is in his boxing journey (fragile hands, 10+ years experience) rather than simply saying "Cleto's are awful, Winnings and Sabas are the only ones you should buy." The parts of his reviews I'm most curious about are his views on the quality/manufacturing process of a lot of the brands he discusses. He clearly thinks that Mexico's gloves are some of the best quality while brands like Title, Everlast, Ringside, RDX, etc aren't worth looking at and are actively bad for a regular boxer due to the poor manufacturing quality in Pakistan.

Does anyone know if his Pakistan comparisons between the major brands are correct? It's easy to look at the pictures and say "Hey, those look like Everlast Protex2's without the labeling!" but does the product on that site actually match the ones Everlast churns out, or are they using a doctored photo for a considerably cheaper knockoff a la "shady back alley dealer?"

I decided to investigate myself and I contacted the website about two of the glove types to potentially order them, but after I told them I wanted to know the pricing//shipping of only one pair of each I haven't heard back. I'll keep you guys updated if I ever hear anything back.

Ok lets be fair.
There is good quality that is produced in pakistan and there is plenty of crap in México as well honestly..
And if you want to see the quality of the gloves in pakistan do not ask for a singular pair in the case of top bóxer and uma sure. But the experience i have had purchasing from pakistan producer ( not gloves but other things such as wraps steel cups etc) is that you need to ask for samples from most as they are not intetested in selling one but one they want to sell minimum 1000 USD orders.
Just my experience
Cheers
Dorian

Ok lets be fair.
There is good quality that is produced in pakistan and there is plenty of crap in México as well honestly..
And if you want to see the quality of the gloves in pakistan do not ask for a singular pair in the case of top bóxer and uma sure. But the experience i have had purchasing from pakistan producer ( not gloves but other things such as wraps steel cups etc) is that you need to ask for samples from most as they are not intetested in selling one but one they want to sell minimum 1000 USD orders.
Just my experience
Cheers
Dorian

Thanks for the insight! This is why I love this place.

The gym I'm doing this for is a nonprofit and doesn't have much money to invest, so I guess that avenue is closed off for us =\. The gym owner is an old pro who used to coach at Virginia Tech, but now does it primarily as a place to keep kids off the streets and give adults a place to learn about boxing. There are still some amateurs and prospects who train here, but he's losing money monthly. I've done what I can to help with equipment but I'm at the end of my rope, too.

We've been buying Ringside and Title equipment, but are absolutely DESTROYING it through fairly heavy use and figured that if we're going to beat the crap out of gloves like that, we might as well try and buy cheaper, non-branded stuff and save some money. I bought four pairs of Title Gel bag gloves about a year ago and they're already starting to crap out on us. I bought four pairs of Ringside laced IMF Sparring gloves (the non-leather type) around the same time and they're just about dead. One's seam exploded and the rest of them are tearing where the wrist meets the hand and the padding is crumbling.

Even though I started this topic to buy a pair of personal gloves, does anyone have any recommendations on cheap but durable bag and sparring gloves?

Some of the stuff he says aren't base on facts I feel. For example the Venum which he calls them clone of Haybusa or clone of Thai brand gloves, simply because it is a mma brand and it is made in Thailand. But their gloves have nothing in common with Hayabusa or any Thai brand. Especially when he uses the Giant 3.0 as the example of a hot gloves because there is no vent holes visually on that photo he uses, which can't be further away from facts.

A lot of bashing on companies with gimmicks and for not using genuine leather (And he is right about that), but when Rival does it, he recommends them so highly, the RB10 w/ d3o, RB11, RS11 without mentioning the synthetic.

Not saying he is dead wrong, everyone has a preference and everyone is going to be bias at some degree more or less, most of the stuff he says are accurate too and he has a massive list to go on, pros for that! It would be a handy guide for those new to the market when there are so many brands and gloves going on. A good read for glove lovers.

Even though I started this topic to buy a pair of personal gloves, does anyone have any recommendations on cheap but durable bag and sparring gloves?

For bag gloves, I feel generally the actual "bag gloves" type of gloves with open palm or no thumb are going to last longer at a cheaper cost. So if you don't mind about them being at different shape to standard boxing gloves, they can be a good choice for a nonprofit community to use. Especially they are lighter as well for new comers. (Or kids?)

I believe hangulmalmotayo or makedansure has a positive review on a Thaismai model. May be you can take a look there. Thai brand usually lasts a long time at a very good price point.

EDIT: Here is the link to the review for your convenience.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/brief-review-of-thaismai-bag-mitts.3472361/

Last edited:
Some of the stuff he says aren't base on facts I feel. For example the Venum which he calls them clone of Haybusa or clone of Thai brand gloves, simply because it is a mma brand and it is made in Thailand. But their gloves have nothing in common with Hayabusa or any Thai brand. Especially when he uses the Giant 3.0 as the example of a hot gloves because there is no vent holes visually on that photo he uses, which can't be further away from facts.

A lot of bashing on companies with gimmicks and for not using genuine leather (And he is right about that), but when Rival does it, he recommends them so highly, the RB10 w/ d3o, RB11, RS11 without mentioning the synthetic.

Not saying he is dead wrong, everyone has a preference and everyone is going to be bias at some degree more or less, most of the stuff he says are accurate too and he has a massive list to go on, pros for that! It would be a handy guide for those new to the market when there are so many brands and gloves going on. A good read for glove lovers.
Agree with this stuff, and I also thought at the time of reading that some of the stuff he said about Thai brands generally was inaccurate.

Back