Looked like Dylan realized he was in way over his head

used2wrestle

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Nobody goes into a fight thinking they're just gonna defend and not throw any punches back but that's exactly what he did. If you look at the way Dylan was defending there's no way he could have even countered with offense, he was holding his forearms in front of his face even when Uriah wasn't punching.

My opinion is that having never trained or sparred with Hall he didn't realize what he was in for in terms of speed, power and ability.

It actually reminded me of when Barnett said Uriah jabbed him too hard, Uriah was probably going at like 50% power but he's just on another level. It's like when I hold pads when my kickboxing instructor demonstrates, he's going easy but is almost breaking my bones through the thai pad.

Also I've coached beginner wrestlers and often they'll get killed at their first tournament and marvel how the intensity is so much higher than what happens in sparring that they just weren't prepared.

I think Uriah's timing and speed were on. Also once he started mixing it up with push kicks, high kicks, and then low/high kick combos Dylan was real reluctant to attempt to counter. Dylan looked like he was just waiting to attack/counter but didn't have confidence. He had a little flurry in the first I believe where he had Uriah backing up, but that was pretty much it.

Did you see his face after, defending did him no justice.

Uriah just showed that he can win a fight with patience and breaking someone's will. The fights that comes to mind is Aldo vs Faber and Holifield vs Tyson.

In those fights, they didn't come out and try to win outright. They just slowly broke there opponents down with patience, fustrating them. Picking them apart

Uriah took it easy on the kid also, he actually liked Dylan. He said last week.

i think hes was scared to get koed, he saw the other guys get koed and he didnt wanna push forward and get caught so he just waited way to long then when he took him down he didnt know what to do not because he doesnt know the ground because he was just to reluctant to get hurt, he beat himself i think. but he'll be back dylan is a tough scrappy dude

He fought like a chump. Say what you will about Cella, but at least he came out and tried to make something happen. The other 3 just went in and took it in the ass.

He fought like a chump. Say what you will about Cella, but at least he came out and tried to make something happen. The other 3 just went in and took it in the ass.

Yeah, that's pretty easy to say but all those guys saw the finishes first hand to Cella and Bubba and that will probably be in your head. You add that in with my point in this thread, you get into the fight and realize you're in over your head and you basically don't fight and instead try to survive.

Did you see his face after, defending did him no justice.

Uriah just showed that he can win a fight with patience and breaking someone's will. The fights that comes to mind is Aldo vs Faber and Holifield vs Tyson.

In those fights, they didn't come out and try to win outright. They just slowly broke there opponents down with patience, fustrating them. Picking them apart

Uriah took it easy on the kid also, he actually liked Dylan. He said last week.

Yeah, but it's because he was just defending, there was no threat of a counter. I would have told Uriah to go to the body after the combo but he wasn't throwing combos but he didn't need to expose himself to the takedown.

And I agree that he really broke him. He stopped the guy from the bottom! How does that even happen. Sure he finished on top but it was done before that.

i think hes was scared to get koed, he saw the other guys get koed and he didnt wanna push forward and get caught so he just waited way to long then when he took him down he didnt know what to do not because he doesnt know the ground because he was just to reluctant to get hurt, he beat himself i think. but he'll be back dylan is a tough scrappy dude

I also wasn't a fan of the coaching he got. Their entire strategy relied upon getting them emotional and trying to motivate them through emotions (or in some cases, outright hypnotism, LOL). For example, the guy was almost in tears going into the cage, how is that helpful. Then they're holding a photo of his kid. I think that's useful in the 3rd round when they're both gassed but I think it's more useful to focus on the gameplan.

I also wasn't a fan of the coaching he got. Their entire strategy relied upon getting them emotional and trying to motivate them through emotions (or in some cases, outright hypnotism, LOL). For example, the guy was almost in tears going into the cage, how is that helpful. Then they're holding a photo of his kid. I think that's useful in the 3rd round when they're both gassed but I think it's more useful to focus on the gameplan.

yeah i remember one of his corner men saying you dont belong here, i thought wait what did he say, like yeah dylan seems like a guy who gets motivated when his family is brought up i mean thats what hes doing fighting for his family but if you keep saying you kids this and your family that it loses its bluster i think, i think they shouldve been saying positive stuff to him not bringing up hey your the last pick no one believes in you your facing this beast but your the underdog embrace it and stuff i think his coaches got into his a head a bit. i mean he said "YOU DONT BELONG HERE" who says that

yeah i remember one of his corner men saying you dont belong here, i thought wait what did he say, like yeah dylan seems like a guy who gets motivated when his family is brought up i mean thats what hes doing fighting for his family but if you keep saying you kids this and your family that it loses its bluster i think, i think they shouldve been saying positive stuff to him not bringing up hey your the last pick no one believes in you your facing this beast but your the underdog embrace it and stuff i think his coaches got into his a head a bit. i mean he said "YOU DONT BELONG HERE" who says that

yeah, i noticed that comment too, they didn't even follow it with anything. Anyways they used too much emotional stuff to try motivate him.

I definitely think it's more useful to focus on things that will help you win the fight. Sure even if they motivate him that way, what's it going to do if he doesn't fight back? he'll just hang in longer and get beaten to more of a pulp.

I actually really like how Chael tells them to picture how hard it's going to be instead of the Jones guys like Josh saying all they can see is their hand getting raised. Then you get in a fight and you're in shock because it's not as easy as you imagined.

yeah, i noticed that comment too, they didn't even follow it with anything. Anyways they used too much emotional stuff to try motivate him.

I definitely think it's more useful to focus on things that will help you win the fight. Sure even if they motivate him that way, what's it going to do if he doesn't fight back? he'll just hang in longer and get beaten to more of a pulp.

I actually really like how Chael tells them to picture how hard it's going to be instead of the Jones guys like Josh saying all they can see is their hand getting raised. Then you get in a fight and you're in shock because it's not as easy as you imagined.

Yeah i love Chaels coaching in the show, dude keep it real you can win or you can loss he didnt blow smoke up their asses that they are gonna win and the guy there fighting doesnt have shit. what happens when you coaches say your way better and you got this and they guy is beating on you, you lose faith in your coaches.
chael let them know that they can win or can lose its about how they decide to fight if they give it their all then they can win but if they dont they will lose, jones didnt do a bad job either but chael just has more experience with coaching

... but.. but... keep your hands up and stuff. That's all you have to do to have good defense!

dylan had a great run and he gave it his all. uriah was just too much for him. when dylan clinched and uriah just threw him off and dylan flew across the cage and landed on his butt, that was crazy. in any fight that dylan had to that point, once he got a hold of someone he was able to take them down and once on top, he was damn good.

uriah was just too much. can't fault dylan for what happened.

Dylan has nothing to be ashamed of. He had a great run on the show and did better than anyone expected coming in.

Dylan looked like a human punching bag, I expected alot more out of that fight.

Uriah's striking is on another level though compared to the guys in the TUF house. I'm excited to see him against equal level strikers in the UFC soon.

Now we get Uriah in the co main event and in the main event

I think if Dylan never saw those knockouts against
Cella or Bubba he would of gone the distance. I wonder how Dylan would of fought if he had Chael sit him down for a few minutes. His metaphor about the ladder seems fairly prescient in this scenario.

Dude should've thrown more right hands. Dylan's hand speed isn't bad at all and he hits pretty hard.

Why is everyone shitting on Dylan?
He fought his hardest, Uriah was just much better

Uriah Hall shouldn't have been on that show. He was already ranked something like #8 and was facing guys ranked maybe something like 50-100 if even ranked. He should have already been offered a legitimate UFC contract. Imagine if they made Anderson go on TUF right before the Leben fight.

I always thought TUF was more like a minor league competition in terms of the fighters current skill set. Uriah Hall was very well rounded with phenomenal striking, his only losses being to two current top 5 talent and one of them fighting for the belt this July.

Edit: also I've not seen it mentioned but Hall was clearly punching Dylan in the back the of the head while on bottom and when he took his back(though hitting more of his hand/arm because Dylan turtled up). It doesn't really matter though, he was fucking him up regardless.

Last edited:
Back